Best audiophile headphones for Metal

thb

Hi everyone ! 

I'm searching an audiophile Supra headphones for sedentary use. 

Do you have some ideas (budget :1000€/$)  for a Metal listening.

Moreover, what do you think about the HD700 or 650 from Sennheiser for this type of use ? Do you have some DAC to propose too ? 

Thanks 

Thb

4 minutes ago, thb said:

Hi everyone ! 

I'm searching an audiophile Supra headphones for sedentary use. 

Do you have some ideas (budget :1000€/$)  for a Metal listening.

Moreover, what do you think about the HD700 or 650 from Sennheiser for this type of use ? Do you have some DAC to propose too ? 

Thanks 

I don't have any experience with Supra headphones, but I've used hd 650 and hd 700: hd 700 has more soundstage, comfortable (a lot), but hd 650 sound more... maybe bright to me. Also, hd 700 cable is kind a dumb. They both need amps because of high impedance. Anyways, hd 650 is not that much different from hd 600, but costs more, so I would pick hd 600 instead.

Have you tried Grado RS1i or GS1000? I would definitely give them a shot. They're not comfortable for long use, but I bought lower-tier sr225e just for some seldom use. But grado won't suit for electronic and some modern music, because they have lots of highs and mids (not in a bad way).

Hi paprikman !

Firstly, thank you for your advices. I've seen the Grado's headphones but for me, their design didn't seems great ... Sorry.

You've tried the HD700, I saw some reviews about it and does it really have a lot of plastic parts as the HD800 doesn't ?

Thanks

Thb

• 2 weeks later...

Choosing a headphone based on genre is typically a bad way to go about purchasing headphones, especially as far up in price as you're looking at. Choose the frequency areas you most prioritize.

That said, most metalheads are probably not looking for bass as much as mids and highs, though that may depend on what subgenre you typically listen to. Choose a fairly flat headphone, with good presence and clarity in the highs.

HD 600 is what I'd suggest, and then pair it with a good DAC/Amp. Schiit stack [Magni+Modi], or an O2+O-DAC combo are the best options. Both are around $200-$300 USD, and HD 600 should be $300-$400, depending on shipping.

HD 650 is also an option, but is slightly warmer in the lower mids, and is a bit brighter in the highs. 

HD 700's are fairly pointless since HD 800 with the right combo blows it out of the water, and I personally like HD 600's over HD 700's. If you can get HD 800's for cheap enough, I'd go with them, but I have no idea what price you can get at in your location. HD700's are also fairly uncomfortable, as they didn't quite perfect the earcup design, whereas I find 800's a lot better.

If you want to look at gear other than Sennheiser, ill list some other options here, along with reasoning.

Beyerdynamic DT 880: Neutral, with slightly brighter highs than HD 600. Brings out clarity, but may be slightly sibilant. Better build than Sennheisers. Soundstage will be somewhat better, but accuracy and raw detail may suffer.

Audio Technicha AD200x: Incredible soundstage and imaging. Incredible highs, but low end is somewhat more rolled off. If you don't need much low end, these are probably the best option.

Probably some more options too, so do your research.

Don't tread on me. I squish, and white liquid comes out. It's icky, trust me.