Need help about an HDD question, Need some advice about GamingPc!

Hey guys!

Like i always do i came here to ask you some big advice!

Recently a friend asked me to help him out to build a gaming pc..

The fact is, while chosing the parts that he needed (i'll ask u some stuff later about it)

we came to the point to " Can we reutilize some part?" the only thing im willing to save is his Hdd and the case.

About the Hard Disk he has an original copy of windows 7 and i was wondering if was possible to recycle that copy, can it be?

Another thing about this win7 stuff is that he's gonna buy an ssd to put the os inside does this gonna help the process of ricycling win7? <-(i know this is gonna be hard to understand!)

About the chosen parts:

i had 2 ideas 

1: i3 6100 - h110m/b150m (he's not a eavy player he likes a lot old stuff and moba games)

so i was thinking about this one cause its cheaper overall and its a solid cpu,

then the whole pc is gonna be some modern machine with ddr4 ram and some pascal/polaris gpu.

i had a first idea to put a z170 mobo to upgrade the cpu in the future like some intel 4core cpu for better gaming and had atleast a room

to upgrade in the future but he's not willing to spend too much money and saving some bucks would help the rig come better

so i went with my second idea.

2: fx 8350 -  am3+ mobo (the extra core should help the game experience but im not sure if its gonna be worth on the long run) i had myself an fx processor and i know the deal

but overall i was happy with it so i put a 8350 cause i think is a good cpu even for the times we are in and it should last al least for another couple of years working fine,

then for the same amount of money he could' have 16gb of ram ( or should i dump this 16gb ideas cause he's no eavy gamer and save some 40 extra buckS?)

the only thing with this idea is that i dont know wich card to pair with the cpu.. cause the cpu cost 50 bucks or so more and im afraid to run

into some bottleneck problem cause of the budget that he's willing to spend on it.

Sooo what should i do? 

What ideas is the best? what are your opinion? I really need your help!

( i really appriciate if you could help me about the hdd stuff with a complete response)

Again im really sorry about my english and if you need some clarification just ask!

I can't answer the second question because I've only got one minute, but as for the windows license.

You'll need to grab the product key before you reformat;

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

Then  once you've installed windows you should be able to enter it (depending what type of license it is)

You could also look into cloning the HDD on to the new SSD (just make it small enough to fit on the SSD

Sorry I can't be of more help right now

About windows 7. Since your getting new mobo and processor and such more likely then not Windows will see it as a different pc and there for not activate. However in my experience a quick phone call to Microsoft will remedy that issue. 

About the cpu/mobo issue. I personally would go the i3 route with an B150 or H110 due to upgrade paths still available. He could still get a nice i7 down the road like a i7 6500 and not be stuck with an extremely out dated chipset. 

You can clone the hdd to the ssd and call microsoft and get it activated/updated to windows 10 if you want.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

1 hour ago, Spookshow said:

About windows 7. Since your getting new mobo and processor and such more likely then not Windows will see it as a different pc and there for not activate. However in my experience a quick phone call to Microsoft will remedy that issue. 

About the cpu/mobo issue. I personally would go the i3 route with an B150 or H110 due to upgrade paths still available. He could still get a nice i7 down the road like a i7 6500 and not be stuck with an extremely out dated chipset. 

Well im gonna surely call microsoft then!

Thanks for the tip!

1 hour ago, XenosTech said:

You can clone the hdd to the ssd and call microsoft and get it activated/updated to windows 10 if you want.

Do you know any guide that explain how to do it?

I personally don't recommend doing a clone for hdd unless fresh install for enterprise purposes. Just reclaim your CD key and install using it and if it doesn't authenticate then call Microsoft. Always fresh install when possible (expecially if changing hardware like mobo and cpu) 

1 minute ago, Spookshow said:

I personally don't recommend doing a clone for hdd unless fresh install for enterprise purposes. Just reclaim your CD key and install using it and if it doesn't authenticate then call Microsoft. Always fresh install when possible (expecially if changing hardware like mobo and cpu) 

problem solved! ahah :) thanks 

About the cpu matter..

i was thinking "hes not gonna upgrade parts at least for 3-4 year"

i mean in 3 to 4 a lot of new stuff is gonan be out so, what is the better performance that he can get for the money?

dont you think that the 8350 will outlive the 6100? 

i know skylake is newer and intel is a solid cpu maker but just about performance will it be better then the 8350?

11 minutes ago, Ayiumo said:

Do you know any guide that explain how to do it?

When you buy samsung ssd's they usually come with a dvd to do it, but I can't remember anything off the top of my head right now (trying not to kill people at work .-.)

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Just now, XenosTech said:

When you buy samsung ssd's they usually come with a dvd to do it, but I can't remember anything off the top of my head right now (trying not to kill people at work .-.)

Ahah! Dont worry! i just found out that the problem is solved! :)

28 minutes ago, Ayiumo said:

"hes not gonna upgrade parts at least for 3-4 year"

Keep in mind the 8350 is already 4 years old. So now your talking about 7 or 8 year old hardware. I feel as though he would just need to upgrade that much sooner. But to answer your question yes the 8350 will work well for him now. I was just thinking that a $250 a year from now would get him a i7 6700 each would be way better performance and that much longer till he would need to upgrade architecture or chipset. 

46 minutes ago, Spookshow said:

Keep in mind the 8350 is already 4 years old. So now your talking about 7 or 8 year old hardware. I feel as though he would just need to upgrade that much sooner. But to answer your question yes the 8350 will work well for him now. I was just thinking that a $250 a year from now would get him a i7 6700 each would be way better performance and that much longer till he would need to upgrade architecture or chipset. 

im gonna try to talk this thing out! 

thanks for the help anyway