zotac gtx 970

hi guys im picking up a "used" zotac gtx 970 which is a brand new in box one from a rma and has a 3 year warranty. it is a dual fan "basic" model. im picking this up over a zotac gtx 1050 ti for a slightly higher price. the cooler is not the best but im pretty sure it will suffice. a slight concern is that im using a 450w power supply, specifically the fsp hexa+ 450w. this is due to my tight budget. im not too sure if it will be enough and will like to hear what u guys have to say about it. much appreciated :) 

I think you should be fine. I know for most GPU generations the increase in power from one to the next is not a whole lot, but the jump from the 9's to the 10's is pretty significant. A 970 is probably still better than a 1050, though! 

This might be helpful:

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-970-vs-GeForce-GTX-1050

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Just now, TheRandomness said:

450W is more than enough for a 970.

my concern is that it is only a 80+ psu and the max wattage is only 384W

9 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

I think you should be fine. I know for most GPU generations the increase in power from one to the next is not a whole lot, but the jump from the 9's to the 10's is pretty significant. A 970 is probably still better than a 1050, though! 

This might be helpful:

thanks for the input. my concern is the low wattage of the psu being only 80+ and having a max wattage of 384w

Isn't it a bit late to get a 970?, i mean you can get better performance from a 1060 for almost half the price, plus 450w is enough to run any 10 series card. I would recommend upping the price a little bit and go for the 1060, it is serious when compared to the 970 and you'll get your moneys worth over the time with a 1060 rather than a 970.

Just now, the crunchiumo said:

thanks for the input. my concern is the low wattage of the psu being only 80+ and having a max wattage of 384w

It's kinda close, but I think it will be fine. Just don't charge 20 phones off of the USB ports!

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

2 minutes ago, Raz3R8023 said:

Isn't it a bit late to get a 970?, i mean you can get better performance from a 1060 for almost half the price, plus 450w is enough to run any 10 series card. I would recommend upping the price a little bit and go for the 1060, it is serious when compared to the 970 and you'll get your moneys worth over the time with a 1060 rather than a 970.

i am buying it at the price of the 1050 ti. so its a no brainer in my mind.

1 minute ago, the crunchiumo said:

i am buying it at the price of the 1050 ti. so its a no brainer in my mind.

In that case you'll be better off with the 970, plus it looks nicer and performs better, as long as you got the power you're good to go. Cooler won't be a problem, I had a crap cooler on my 960 and it did good even with a heavy overclock.

Just now, Raz3R8023 said:

In that case you'll be better off with the 970, plus it looks nicer and performs better, as long as you got the power you're good to go. Cooler won't be a problem, I had a crap cooler on my 960 and it did good even with a heavy overclock.

thanks for the input much appreciated.

The 1060 vs 970 difference is near negligible for the same usage cases.

Ops Intended Price - The GTX970 is a Winner, in comparison to performance, elsewhere...both.....they are cool and relatively quiet on slightly worse coolers, it's still a great buy,..stock clocked or not on either card (GTX970 is a better brilliant GPU though),.and performs brilliantly when overclocked (surpassing 1060>price of 1050ti) if you want to go balls to the walls overclocking.

1080p Ultra Killer in almost all titles

Usable in some if not most 1440p titles at Ultra/High

Up to 1600p at Ultra/High with over 30fps averages in many titles.

GTX970 is a pure win for THAT price.

Power concerns - Besides a really Shithouse PSU (not related to any card you put in) just a shitty example of a PSU, will likely have issue.

Most PSU's in decent working order, that can provide ample power than your typical usage, won't have issues.

I've used an i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz /w 290 Windforce @ 1175Mhz and it never had power related issues with a rated 550w PSU.

GTX970 are pretty efficient also (I have one now,..way better that my 290 above), not as good as the 1060, but performs similar.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 minute ago, Raz3R8023 said:

It's what we're here for

do u think the psu will be sufficient. it as 2 6+2 pin peg connectors. also i will be pairing it with a g4400

I wish I had a Kill-O-Watt meter.

I'd show my rig, I wouldn't think it's using much at load...,..an i5 4690 Set to 2.4GhzIdle>3.9GhzSinglecoreLoad+GTX970 @ 1388Mhz-1400Mhz when Gaming
It wouldn't be pushing much... (I have a 8pin+6pin) Power connector on my G1 Gaming GTX970.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 minute ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

I wish I had a Kill-O-Watt meter.

I'd show my rig, I wouldn't think it's using much at load...,..an i5 4690 Set to 2.4GhzIdle>3.9GhzSinglecoreLoad+GTX970 @ 1388Mhz-1400Mhz when Gaming
It wouldn't be pushing much... (I have a 8pin+6pin) Power connector on my G1 Gaming GTX970.

your psu is a 750w so you are just fine. not too sure in my case.

41 minutes ago, the crunchiumo said:

my concern is that it is only a 80+ psu 

80+ is only a efficiency rating not a quality rating. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

2 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

80+ is only a efficiency rating not a quality rating. 

yes im aware of that but my concern lies with the amount of wattage it is able to deliver.

52 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

This might be helpful:

Don't ever use GPUBoss to compare cards. Use userbenchmark. 

43 minutes ago, the crunchiumo said:

my concern is that it is only a 80+ psu and the max wattage is only 384W

Should still be fine but it will be your next upgrade. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, the crunchiumo said:

yes im aware of that but my concern lies with the amount of wattage it is able to deliver.

then get a different power supply? whats available? 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

1 minute ago, Megah3rtz said:

then get a different power supply? whats available? 

the evga 500b is more but is out of my budget.

2 hours ago, the crunchiumo said:

your psu is a 750w so you are just fine. not too sure in my case.

Thats my PSU this time round.

When I had my 2600K/290 it was using an Antec 550w, but the fan noise when it was loaded up,..was what made me eventually change to something better.

1 minute ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Thats my PSU this time round.

When I had my 2600K/290 it was using an Antec 550w, but the fan noise when it was loaded up,..was what made me eventually change to something better.

was it an efficient unit or a budget one

No problem. Just don't overclock your 970 on that psu so that it doesn't need to deal with the power spikes.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

2 hours ago, the crunchiumo said:

the evga 500b is more but is out of my budget.

if you have to, you can get a seasonic S12G 450w for $79 at pcthemes, don't bother with the 500b and get that instead(S12II 520w is at similar price if you're scared about wattage).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W