Nvidia G-Sync on laptops?

JackieWackie

Does anyone know if Nvidia G-Sync will be on laptops anytime soon? if so wouldn't it be amazing!

There's no reason it wouldn't be on 'gaming' laptops, but there's no info on any laptops that are going to use it yet since G-Sync was only announced this week.

Every 60 seconds in Africa...

A minute passes.

I doubt we will ever see G-Sync on laptops but it would be a nice feature to be honest.

If it makes the experience of games a lot more smooth, why wouldn't it be on expensive gaming laptops?

A minute passes.

Chances are it could increase power consumption by a large amount.

It might do, we'll find out soon though I guess.

A minute passes.

Answer is yes and no, Gaming laptops with Nvidia GPU's will support G-sync, but i do not think that screens will support it anytime soon.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it on Asus' gaming laptops, seeing as they are jumping on G-Sync with guns blazing.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

It would be a nice feature since many gaming laptops are used as desktop replacements and are often used with a 2nd monitor, which then could provide G-Sync

who cares...

It would be a nice feature since many gaming laptops are used as desktop replacements and are often used with a 2nd monitor, which then could provide G-Sync

G-Sync is entirely Monitor-side. If you're using the laptop with an external monitor then as long as it has a recent NVidia mobile GPU then all you need is for the monitor to have G-Sync. I believe the thread is more about having the laptop's built-in monitor support it, which is probably possible but I think most people would prefer a smaller, lighter laptop with better battery life, even when they're gaming.

• 10 months later...

G-Sync is entirely Monitor-side. If you're using the laptop with an external monitor then as long as it has a recent NVidia mobile GPU then all you need is for the monitor to have G-Sync. I believe the thread is more about having the laptop's built-in monitor support it, which is probably possible but I think most people would prefer a smaller, lighter laptop with better battery life, even when they're gaming.

Unfortunately its not that simple. Even if a laptop has a GPU that supports G-Sync, you can still have the problem that:

1) the laptop's display port may be connected to the integrated GPU only, and not to the nVidia GPU, and thus G-Sync is not available.

2) or there could be some other 3rd-party electronics between the nVidia GPU and the display port that prevents G-Sync. For instance, some manufactures already prevent nVidia 3D vision from working for external displays even though the card supports it  (no idea why they do that).

Hence nVidia says you need to check with your laptop manufacturer to find out if G-Sync is supported.

• 1 month later...

I would love to see a G-Sync monitor on a gaming laptop. I know, we have to wait for prices to drop, and popularity to rise, but it would be awesome!

I would love to see a G-Sync monitor on a gaming laptop. I know, we have to wait for prices to drop, and popularity to rise, but it would be awesome!

Unfortunately its not that simple. Even if a laptop has a GPU that supports G-Sync, you can still have the problem that:

1) the laptop's display port may be connected to the integrated GPU only, and not to the nVidia GPU, and thus G-Sync is not available.

2) or there could be some other 3rd-party electronics between the nVidia GPU and the display port that prevents G-Sync. For instance, some manufactures already prevent nVidia 3D vision from working for external displays even though the card supports it  (no idea why they do that).

Hence nVidia says you need to check with your laptop manufacturer to find out if G-Sync is supported.

this thread was from 2013... you don't reply to long dead threads... @WoodenMarker lock this.