Can anyone recommend a simple and safe VPN for a beginner? (and some other questions)

hsjj3

I've never before bothered with VPNs, but I want to access some content that is USA-only, and I was thinking, is this finally the time to cave in.

So I've come here to ask for a simple and safe VPN that you would recommend to a beginner.

I also have a few questions relating to VPN:

1) What are drawbacks with using a free vs a paid VPN?

2) If I download/stream content from a USA-restricted site via VPN, is the VPN connection doing the downloading/streaming or is it my local connection doing it?

3) How to tell a safe VPN from an unsafe VPN, and are there any best practices for safety?

4) Is a VPN only for a single browser on my PC, or for the entire PC? How do people who use non-browser client services access a VPN?

Thanks!

if you have watched any ltt video at all you will be well aware of tunnelbear, and well it works

I don't know much about vpn's but I do know that free ones usually either have a data cap or a limited bandwidth or sometimes both.

okay, first you can try the openvpn it is pretty cheap

1. free vpn are often unstable and have a data limit

2,the file will first go though you vpn than you computer,so both

3,the host of a unsafe vpn can get all you data upload and download to the internet

4, the most client base vpn are connect to you entire computer 

3 minutes ago, Xizerz said:

if you have watched any ltt video at all you will be well aware of tunnelbear, and well it works

I don't know much about vpn's but I do know that free ones usually either have a data cap or a limited bandwidth or sometimes both.

well, tunnel bear is kind of pricey compare to other provider 

1 minute ago, zehao39 said:

well, tunnel bear is kind of pricey compare to other provider 

tunnel bear is free

I recommend hotspotsheild, it has an iphone app (maybe andriod too) and has no data limit/cap, one drawback is that you can only get a proxy thats in the states, not like tor which makes it look like your ip address is "anonymous-proxy"

hope it helps :D

-removed-

Check out ProXPN (https://www.proxpn.com/)

Every once a while they offer LIFE TIME premium accounts, which would be the cheapest way to have good VPN forever. I got a life-time account a while back and it works perfectly.

What about browser-based extensions like Hola and Hoxx? Those seem simpler to install. All the ones listed above seem to be client-based, no?

Just now, hsjj3 said:

What about browser-based extensions like Hola and Hoxx? Those seem simpler to install. All the ones listed above seem to be client-based, no?

True but what if he is playing minecraft and got ip banned? but he still wants to play on the server so a browser based one wouldnt work

i think

-removed-

8 minutes ago, hsjj3 said:

Well one of your questions you asked if the client-side is whole-PC VPN or just the browser. The extensions would be just the browser, the client-side (like mentioned ProXPN) would be whole-PC.

Paid accounts typically don't limit bandwidth and give you more options (locations) to choose from.

Might I ask, what are the pros and cons of browser based and client based VPN services respectively?

17 minutes ago, hsjj3 said:

Might I ask, what are the pros and cons of browser based and client based VPN services respectively?

Browser based is only for your browser. VPN is for all internet traffic. You might want to be behind a VPN when using IRC, Skype or gaming.

4 hours ago, Mornincupofhate said:

Ignore everyone else in this thread. Go with PIA. https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

• They don't care if you do illegal stuff on it
  • They own a datacenter in practically any place you can travel
  • no data caps
  • $5.99 a month
  • no logging
  • support on any device you can buy

This...10000% this.

I don't want to play games. This is regarding the Samsung SSD coupon for Watch Dogs 2 from Amazon, and the site doesn't let me redeem the coupon since I am not within the USA. Since only the redemption is USA-locked (but the actual game isn't), I was thinking I could use a quick VPN to settle this.

6 hours ago, hsjj3 said:

I don't want to play games. This is regarding the Samsung SSD coupon for Watch Dogs 2 from Amazon, and the site doesn't let me redeem the coupon since I am not within the USA. Since only the redemption is USA-locked (but the actual game isn't), I was thinking I could use a quick VPN to settle this.

If that's ALL you want to do with a VPN, then use a free service as mentioned above, do the purchase, and call it a day!