New build, this gen or next?

RobL

I am planning a new build in the near future but I'm not sure how near.

My question is should i upgrade this generation (Ivy bridge, 600 series) or wait until the next (Haswell, 700 series).

My current specs: i5 2500k (OC 4.3 gHz)

gtx 560ti

P8P67 Mobo

1 tb hdd

700 watt PSU

16 Gb hyper x RAM

The difference between Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge is slim, if I were you I would wait till Haswell to get a bigger boost in performance.

I am planning a new build in the near future but I'm not sure how near. My question is should i upgrade this generation (Ivy bridge' date=' 600 series) or wait until the next (Haswell, 700 series). My current specs: i5 2500k (OC 4.3 gHz) gtx 560ti P8P67 Mobo 1 tb hdd 700 watt PSU 16 Gb hyper x RAM [/quote']

I think your question should be next gen or next next gen. Would you pay $200+ for less than 10% improved CPU performance?

Ivy is no improvement from sandy. Just an architectural improvement. Benchmarks show negligible perfomamce improvements and they heat up considerably more with heavy overclocks. Although 4.3GHz would be fine. Haswell is supposed to be the performance upgrade although rumours are they are going to be holding back as AMD are not pushing them. But dont upgrade from sandy to ivy. Waste of money

I might consider upgrading ur gpu to 660ti or 670 instead. Pretty big performance gains and they run a lot quieter and cooler than the 500 series. Depends what games ur playin i guess and if u need the performance gain.

Maybe an SSD? Pretty cheap now

You're good with what you have for another 2 years. If you really want a performance boost just grab a 680 or wait for 780

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

I am planning a new build in the near future but I'm not sure how near. My question is should i upgrade this generation (Ivy bridge' date=' 600 series) or wait until the next (Haswell, 700 series). My current specs: i5 2500k (OC 4.3 gHz) gtx 560ti P8P67 Mobo 1 tb hdd 700 watt PSU 16 Gb hyper x RAM [/quote']

Well is your current PC performing fine and playing all your games at a acceptable frame rate? Are you just wanting to upgrade for the sake of upgrading? Unless your current rig is just not cutting it them you could upgrade your graphics card to 660 ti in the meantime.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

Wel if you are tech savy and want the best I would sincerley consider waiting for the next generation hardware as the current high end line is a tock (cpu) as for the graphics you can upgrade them more easily becuase they are not based on a platform like a motherboard and cpu... your currenr setup is pretty solid so I wouldnt mind waiting a bit

You won't need to upgrade from a 2500k any time soon for gaming. And by soon I mean the next couple of years.

A 2500k is all the processing power you'll need to game unless you're running a triple-GPU setup. In which case you should probably go IVB-E when it's out (Q3 2013) to save yourself from getting CPU-limited.

Intel have been rolling out some awesome processors the last few years, BUT - and this is a big but, their IPC and general performance won't increase as much from generation to generation as it used to, because of lack of competition from AMD. Which is why many people have their doubts about Haswell.

Regarding GPUs, nobody is really sure of the Kepler refresh performance (is it GK110, is it GK114? This stuff matters, Nvidia!) so unfortunately I can't advise you there. If I were you, however, I'd wait until AMD and Nvidia release their next generation of GPUs and judge for yourself.

In short: Stick with the 2500k, wait for the GPU benchmarks.

Right now, your GPU is the largest bottleneck and i think it's the next thing you should upgrade. Either wait for next generation GPUs to come out or go with an 680 or 7970 if you have the money. As said, you won't see any differene in regular gaming if you upgrade your CPU to an Ivy-Bridge. Haswell may of course be better but since we don't know anything about that yet, a new GPU should be your next upgrade.

I think your question should be next gen or next next gen. Would you pay $200+ for less than 10% improved CPU performance?

I would consider waiting till the next next gen if it wasn't going to be broadwell. The reason for this is the soldered CPU rumor I keep hearing about.

thanks for the advice all. I actually feel much btr about my rig now lol. I feel i guess ill wait till 700 series to upgrade gpu to make it rly worth it :)

Keep this for now. Sandy to Ivy-upgrade doesn't really benefit as the performance increase is minimal and in my experience Ivy overclocks worse than Sandy so you can easily OC and get even better performance.

The GPU should do fine, and since in about 3 months there will be new GPUs there isn't much point in going 600 series. The rumors say that the 700 series will only be somewhat of a refresh resulting in approx 10% improvement over the 600 series, so either have a loot at what AMD will be dishing out or wait for benchmarks before making your final decision.

I am running a 680 and I must say for the 600CHF [630$] I payed for it at the first day they came out I expected more of it.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Ive been disapointed with the 6xx serie, I expected more. I would say wait for 7xx or go with an amd ( they are really good for price/performance these day )

Im currently owning 670 ( my bro an 660 ti ) and a 7950 , and I prefer my 7950