locked i7 vs unlocked.

Go to solution Solved by Zyndo,
4 minutes ago, </Reign> said:

Hello, I am new to computer building. I need to pick a cpu, and I cannot decide if i should get a locked or an unlocked i7.

What are the pros and cons of both? Do i need to oc if my hardest task will be gaming? 

You need to determine what kind of games you will be playing, and what fps you will be playing them at in order to determine if you want an overclockable CPU. if you're just after 60 fps gaming, then an i5 6600 will be plenty, but you can always do i7 6700 if you really wanted something that would last a bit longer. If you're after 144+ fps gaming in a title like BF 1 on their massive multiplayer maps, then you're going to want nothing short of a 6700k and to overclock it as much as possible in order to keep your fps up there.

but no, largely speaking you don't need an overclockable CPU to get a good gaming experience. an i7 6700 will be more than enough for most titles in most situations for most people

Hello, I am new to computer building. I need to pick a cpu, and I cannot decide if i should get a locked or an unlocked i7.

What are the pros and cons of both? Do i need to oc if my hardest task will be gaming? 

No difference unless you are overclocking. I personally don't think overclocking is worth the extra money (a lot of extra money if your buying new) to buy a z170 board and a k cpu and a good cooler. Plus, if your not very skilled, you could fry your entire system in just a few minutes (maybe even seconds)

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Pros: 

• It will be viable longer

Cons: 

• More expensive and you need a more expensive board/cooler to overclock

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

As i can think of, unlocked cpu's comes with being unlocked (duh) and can be overclocked, and sometimes comes with higher base clocks. locked cpu's are just cheaper. you will obviously need diffrent motherboards. kind of. 

With a locked CPU you can not overclock, with an unlock CPU you can overclock.

To answer your second question, it depends on what games. Some games are more CPU dependent than others. So if the game you are playing is more CPU dependent, than it can help. 

Just remember, if you do overclock it, I would recommend getting a better cooler then the stock one. 

Hope I was able to help! :D

I'm not a tech expert, but I do know a lot about Computers and Networking that I taught myself.

If you have any questions for me, feel free to PM me or reply to my post :)

4 minutes ago, </Reign> said:

You need to determine what kind of games you will be playing, and what fps you will be playing them at in order to determine if you want an overclockable CPU. if you're just after 60 fps gaming, then an i5 6600 will be plenty, but you can always do i7 6700 if you really wanted something that would last a bit longer. If you're after 144+ fps gaming in a title like BF 1 on their massive multiplayer maps, then you're going to want nothing short of a 6700k and to overclock it as much as possible in order to keep your fps up there.

but no, largely speaking you don't need an overclockable CPU to get a good gaming experience. an i7 6700 will be more than enough for most titles in most situations for most people

57 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

58 minutes ago, MrMonteCristo said:

With a locked CPU you can not overclock, with an unlock CPU you can overclock.

To answer your second question, it depends on what games. Some games are more CPU dependent than others. So if the game you are playing is more CPU dependent, than it can help. 

Just remember, if you do overclock it, I would recommend getting a better cooler then the stock one. 

1 hour ago, SpeedyPie said:

As i can think of, unlocked cpu's comes with being unlocked (duh) and can be overclocked, and sometimes comes with higher base clocks. locked cpu's are just cheaper. you will obviously need diffrent motherboards. kind of. 

1 hour ago, Arty said:

If you only game

get an non k, no point in OC.

1 hour ago, Spitfire1911 said:

Well getting a unlocked one is a bit more expensive but also can make your system more future proof.

Im not looking to go too crazy iguess. just 1080p ultra with good frames. do you think i could even get away with an i5?

8 minutes ago, </Reign> said:

Im not looking to go too crazy iguess. just 1080p ultra with good frames. do you think i could even get away with an i5?

I  already answered your question