Linux Version?

Hi guys,

hopefully i am going to install Linux onto my machine tomorrow. I'm not sure what version to get though. I am very interested in the Mint flavour. However, I don't know which version of Mint to get. There are currently 4 that are available for download. They consist of: Cinnamon, MATE, Xfce and KDE. Which one would you recommend to someone starting out with Linux like myself?

https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php - Here is a download link to the Linux Mint download page.

Thanks,

Patalayus

The machine I will be installing it on has a Pentium, so i think MATE will be the best option

Id get ubuntu, it has the most support, and mint is just ubuntu with a skin and some preinstalled software.

For min, id get the cinnamon version. XFCE is designed for lowend systems withount much ram. MATE is for the people who like old software and never want to upgrade and KDE is different, you can try it, but id try cinnanmon for now. These are also just the desktop enviro's so they will preform and work the same

You can also Install all of these desktop enviroments on one install and switch when you log in.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id get ubuntu, it has the most support, and mint is just ubuntu with a skin and some preinstalled software.

For min, id get the cinnamon version. XFCE is designed for lowend systems withount much ram. MATE is for the people who like old software and never want to upgrade and KDE is different, you can try it, but id try cinnanmon for now. These are also just the desktop enviro's so they will preform and work the same

You can also Install all of these desktop enviroments on one install and switch when you log in.

Ubuntu is a bad option for older systems. Unity is pretty resource intensive.

Mint is Ubuntu, minus Canonical's software store, and with different default desktop environments.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

55 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

and ubuntu is debian with a skin and some software installed.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 minute ago, vorticalbox said:

and ubuntu is debian with a skin and some software installed.

Yep i like debian more, but some things like installing gpu drivers and software are a bit easier on ubuntu.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yep i like debian more, but some things like installing gpu drivers and software are a bit easier on ubuntu.

I like the ubuntu installed super simple, I've seen some where you have to press ok SO many times its stupid.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

On November 20, 2016 at 6:10 PM, Patalayus said:

The machine I will be installing it on has a Pentium, so i think MATE will be the best option

Pentium here as well. I installed Ubuntu but it was very very heavy so I looked for a lighter version. I then installed Kubuntu, which is much lighter. I've been running it ever since and I very much like it. I've been thinking of trying Lubuntu lately, but I'm short on time. 

Why the hell do you use such a Pentium machine in this 2016 bro, here is my Cinnamon which runs very smoothly, it's pretty light compared to KDE and Gnome

sys.png

Mobo: ASRock B150M Pro4s | CPU: Intel core i7 7700 with stock cooler | Storages: 2x80GB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm + Zotac 120GB | Memory: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Fury | PSU: 400W HYN 80+ | GPU: PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB | Tower: an old one from the other decade | Monitor: ASUS Widescreen 900p + ViewSonic FHD| Speaker: microlab

7 hours ago, Niemand said:

Pentium here as well. I installed Ubuntu but it was very very heavy so I looked for a lighter version. I then installed Kubuntu, which is much lighter. I've been running it ever since and I very much like it. I've been thinking of trying Lubuntu lately, but I'm short on time. 

I personally think that Kubuntu is heavier than Ubuntu, as initially KDE is the heaviest one

Mobo: ASRock B150M Pro4s | CPU: Intel core i7 7700 with stock cooler | Storages: 2x80GB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm + Zotac 120GB | Memory: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Fury | PSU: 400W HYN 80+ | GPU: PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB | Tower: an old one from the other decade | Monitor: ASUS Widescreen 900p + ViewSonic FHD| Speaker: microlab

1 hour ago, mafioso said:

I personally think that Kubuntu is heavier than Ubuntu, as initially KDE is the heaviest one

That was definitely not my experience. I couldn't get anything to work with Ubuntu.

1 hour ago, mafioso said:

Why the hell do you use such a Pentium machine in this 2016 bro, here is my Cinnamon which runs very smoothly, it's pretty light compared to KDE and Gnome

sys.png

Look I'm famous.

Mine is an old computer. About 10 years old I think.

No way to know until you try them! I would recommend Ubuntu with MATE or Cinnamon. You could load up a bunch of different distros in a vm as well (virtualbox is good). You'll find one you like. :)

i7-4790k </> GTX980Ti </> 8GB DDR3 </>  ASUS Z97-A </> 512 NVMe </> LG 27" UHD IPS LED