Liquid change on H55

I know this product is not meant to be refilled or have it fluid changed, very few AIO's are designed like that, but I know it has a fill port and the liquid level is a little low. I have done custom water loops so I know my way around around, I kinda just wanna get your guys' opinion or more to the point predictions, if I refill it with, of all things, Type D car coolant (I'm curious), which should not be used with copper, but since the rad is aluminium and only the block is copper, it would probably eat itself anyway, as I've seen that design choice does kill this cooler. So that is why I even posted this stupid question, anyone thing it'll work? Any one think I'll break this H55? Anyone think it will work but the thing will break after a while in use? 

The type D coolant is the redish pink coolant, used mainly my VW (TL-774D (VW G12) ● TL-774 F (VW G12+) ). While I'm curious if I break this I will have to replace it but an air cooler from my box of them would work. 

Yours faithfully

If the coolant is gonna corrode it Why not just use distilled water? 

Just now, Arty said:

If the coolant is gonna corrode it Why not just use distilled water? 

that would be worse, both this coolant and the one in it (from photos it looks green which is also a coolant colour used in cars and general coolants, they're usually colour coded) have anti corrosive inhibitors but they fail over time. Distilled water would cause galvanic corrosion between the copper and aluminium, as distilled water LOVES to corrode metals to pick up ions, the reason why water is such a good solvent, 

Yours faithfully

9 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

that would be worse, both this coolant and the one in it (from photos it looks green which is also a coolant colour used in cars and general coolants, they're usually colour coded) have anti corrosive inhibitors but they fail over time. Distilled water would cause galvanic corrosion between the copper and aluminium, as distilled water LOVES to corrode metals to pick up ions, the reason why water is such a good solvent, 

in cars they run 50/50 tho. 

1 minute ago, Arty said:

in cars they run 50/50 tho. 

this coolant is not meant to be diluted, it is gycol based as far as I know, so RIP rubber too.

Edit: Yep, read the lable, Ethylene Glycol, probably mostly pure. 

Edited by Lord Nicoll

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

this coolant is not meant to be diluted, it is gycol based as far as I know, so RIP rubber too.

I googled it, this is what they use in the H55, just a slightly different mix, fuck it I'ma do it, maybe, idk if I have time now. 

Yours faithfully

33 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I know this product is not meant to be refilled or have it fluid changed, very few AIO's are designed like that, but I know it has a fill port

Were do you see an fill port on the H55? i don't see any on mine :)

Main PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | RAM:Corsair LPX 3200 mhz (16Gb) 

Mobo:ASUS Strix B550-F Wifi | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z

Case: Sharkoon Nightshark RGB| Storage: 500 GB 970 EVO Plus 1 TB WD blue 500 GB Samsung HDD

Monitor: iiyama G-Master G2470HSU-B1 165Hz

Powersupply: Be Quiet straight Power 10 500 watt

Main Laptop

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H | RAM: Team group 16 GB 2666 mhz

GPU: RTX 2060 (MXM swappable)

Monitor: 1080p 120Hz

Storage: 2x 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (no raid)

Second Laptop

CPU: Intel Core I5 1235u,  RAM: Samsung 8 GB 3200 mhz

GPU: IrisXe 80 eu

Storage: 512 GB WD Digital SN530 NVMe

Phone:

Xiaomi MI 11

Work Phone:

Galaxy A50

Just now, Arjan W said:

Were do you see an fill port on the H55? i don't see any on mine :)

if you remove the corsair cap on the block (there is three clips on it, directly opposite the pipes, and then one just above and just below the pipes) it is a normal screw. The pipes are also held onto the block by a similar system, would you like me to take a video of the process?

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

if you remove the corsair cap on the block (there is three clips on it, directly opposite the pipes, and then one just above and just below the pipes) it is a normal screw. The pipes are also held onto the block by a similar system, would you like me to take a video of the process?

sure. and that's how you see that the fluid level is low?

Main PC:

Case: Sharkoon Nightshark RGB| Storage: 500 GB 970 EVO Plus 1 TB WD blue 500 GB Samsung HDD

Main Laptop

Second Laptop

Phone:

Xiaomi MI 11

Work Phone:

Galaxy A50

1 minute ago, Arjan W said:

No, there is no fluid level, even opening the fill port will void the warranty and potentially break the unit, it is NOT designed to be user serviceable, but people good with watercooling and similar work can do it decently. I know mine is a little low as there is a lot of air in the reservoir, it makes that sloshing noise, which is normal, that is what a reservoir is for, but sometimes it draws air into the pump and makes it noisy which also reduces cooling capabilities. 

Yours faithfully

10 minutes ago, Arjan W said:

The video is kinda potateo quality due to lighting and being recorded on my phone but it was quick and my other camera's battery is dead. 

Yours faithfully

7 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

The video is kinda potateo quality due to lighting and being recorded on my phone but it was quick and my other camera's battery is dead. 

ah Don't mind. Thx :)

Main PC:

Main Laptop

Second Laptop

Phone:

Xiaomi MI 11

Work Phone:

Galaxy A50

42 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

39 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I googled it, this is what they use in the H55, just a slightly different mix, fuck it I'ma do it, maybe, idk if I have time now. 

idk my cars manual says 50/50 maybe for the AIO its differnet. 

2 minutes ago, Arty said:

idk my cars manual says 50/50 maybe for the AIO its differnet. 

This particular coolant is not meant to be mixed 50/50, it might already be mixed 50/50 or use a different liquid in it, as some do. There are also now some special glycol based coolants that use no water at all, you can even remove the radiator cap on the rad since the liquid isn't under steam pressure. 

Yours faithfully

7 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

This particular coolant is not meant to be mixed 50/50, it might already be mixed 50/50 or use a different liquid in it, as some do. There are also now some special glycol based coolants that use no water at all, you can even remove the radiator cap on the rad since the liquid isn't under steam pressure. 

Interesting.  What was wrong with the liquid that you wanted to change in the first place?

2 hours ago, Arty said:

Interesting.  What was wrong with the liquid that you wanted to change in the first place?

It was little low and sometimes air was drawn in, although usually when my desk moved. I did it, my first attempt got Ethylene Glycol on my chair (which now must be disposed of correctly as this substance is dangerous and I don't want it anywhere near me), the same with the liquid in it, which was definitely a mix of water and Glycol, smelt like it and left like it but was clear. My second attempt involved using syringes and also worked, but the liquid's viscosity was too high and the pump objected, so I used a water bath, of not actually distilled water because I don't care about corrosion in the long term, Ima treat myself this year to a custom loop because I keep building friends and family them I might as well own one myself, and the liquid in it mixed with the water, formed a much less concentrated form and how runs much quieter compared to before. I'd rather not ever do it again though as this shit's toxic to aquatic life (I have pet fish rip) and can be quiet harmful to humans. I got it to work but

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS AT ALL

It was annoying, fiddly and again, could kill my beloved fish or even my dog and make me very sick but the solution I used contained a warning embittering agent that makes it taste like a skunk. I just spent 10 minutes giving my face and hands an anti chemical wash as it seems I got a lot on it, I am grateful there was an embittering agent. 

Yours faithfully

37 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Never liked the idea of liquid cooling, adds so many points of failure and reversible damage. Air Cooling is quiet good, and almost on par with liquid anyway.....expect for the people  going for the absolute extreme of OC's, especially in that new system linus reviewed, that had no fans........and held its temp just fine.

56 minutes ago, Arty said:

Never liked the idea of liquid cooling, adds so many points of failure and reversible damage. Air Cooling is quiet good, and almost on par with liquid anyway.....expect for the people  going for the absolute extreme of OC's, especially in that new system linus reviewed, that had no fans........and held its temp just fine.

Well I'll be water cooling my next build with a full custom loop, because the PC is to be on 24/7 about a metre from where I sleep so loads of noctua fans and ridiculous amounts of radiator real estate will be used.

Yours faithfully

• 1 month later...
On 19/11/2016 at 9:39 PM, Lord Nicoll said:

I know mine is a little low as there is a lot of air in the reservoir, it makes that sloshing noise,

How low was yours? I just got an H55 and it seems that it came with less than half the fluid. If I flip the radiator back and forth, I can imagine it is more or less 40 to 45% filled. But the sound and weight of it can be deceiving. But it does not look 80+ filled at all.

Do you remember how was yours? I am testing some water coolers and don't recall seeing that low -- never really paid much attention to it.

I appreciate any feedback.

-- Win7 64 / i7-3770K 4.2Ghz / Zalman CNPS9900 NT Viper 140 mod / GA-Z77X-D3H / GTX 770 Lightning / G- Skill 8GB 2400Mhz / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / WD Velociraptor 1TB / Corsair RM 750W / Carbide 300R --
-- Win7 64 / FX-6300 / Zalman CNPS9900 NT / GA-970A-D3P / Sapphire HD 6870 / Vengeance 8GB 1333Mhz / Corsair GS 128GB / Corsair HX 650W / CM Sileo 500 --

I forgot to mention that my pump speed is at 1470rpm at 12v (double checked in the BIOS). How about yours?

Cheers,

-- Win7 64 / i7-3770K 4.2Ghz / Zalman CNPS9900 NT Viper 140 mod / GA-Z77X-D3H / GTX 770 Lightning / G- Skill 8GB 2400Mhz / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / WD Velociraptor 1TB / Corsair RM 750W / Carbide 300R --
-- Win7 64 / FX-6300 / Zalman CNPS9900 NT / GA-970A-D3P / Sapphire HD 6870 / Vengeance 8GB 1333Mhz / Corsair GS 128GB / Corsair HX 650W / CM Sileo 500 --

4 hours ago, SeaW0lf said:

I forgot to mention that my pump speed is at 1470rpm at 12v (double checked in the BIOS). How about yours?

Cheers,

According to fan expert 3, the pumps goes from between 1476-1483 at 100%, but is usually only at 50%. 

Yours faithfully

4 hours ago, SeaW0lf said:

How low was yours? I just got an H55 and it seems that it came with less than half the fluid. If I flip the radiator back and forth, I can imagine it is more or less 40 to 45% filled. But the sound and weight of it can be deceiving. But it does not look 80+ filled at all.

Do you remember how was yours? I am testing some water coolers and don't recall seeing that low -- never really paid much attention to it.

I appreciate any feedback.

I'd say mine had maybe about 90% filled rad, there was obviously not fully filled though, and made it noisier, but after I filled and managed to bleed it, which was a pain in the ass, it seemed a lot quieter, but the fluid I used was also a little more viscous so it might wear out faster.  I kept all the fluid that came out of mine first, I still have it in a bottle, there's maybe 100ml but probably less

Yours faithfully

To easily fill you need a special syringe where liquid goes into block and air comes into syringe. I heard they were available on ebay but I didn't find any.

9 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I'd say mine had maybe about 90% filled rad, there was obviously not fully filled though, and made it noisier, but after I filled and managed to bleed it, which was a pain in the ass, it seemed a lot quieter, but the fluid I used was also a little more viscous so it might wear out faster.  I kept all the fluid that came out of mine first, I still have it in a bottle, there's maybe 100ml but probably less

Geez... Mine is way worse. Like I said, I imagine it has 50% of the rad filled. You can hear the sound in a video that I made. I am contacting Corsair. I can't fill it because I am doing tests to resell the coolers later on. I can't sell it this way, unless I charge the price of a defective unit. Do you think Corsair will rebuke the claim or it is a given?

To easily fill you need a special syringe where liquid goes into block and air comes into syringe. I heard they were available on ebay but I didn't find any.

Unfortunately I will resell the unit after tests, so I can't refill it.

8 hours ago, sl06bhytmar said:

That isn't really a syringe, it's a vacuum assisted reservoir, that connects to the "fill port" on the block pump. They're really expensive and given the price of 2nd hand AIO's and their tendancy to fail after a while, are not all that viable unless you're selling brand new AIO's with the idea to promote you've put better fluid in and more of it.

Yours faithfully