Ath-m50x and mod mic

Snowi_

Hello everybody! Im thinking of buying the ath-m50x and a modmic or the hyperx cloud 2 what should i go for? I mainly play csgo and im thinking of streaming aswell. 

I would rethink that, the M50x has zero soundstage and that is bad for FPS games, I think the DT770 would be a better option

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I would rethink that, the M50x has zero soundstage and that is bad for FPS games, I think the DT770 would be a better option

Oh thanks ill check them out because i live in Finland and the prices are really different than the US :D

9 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

What version there like a 80, 250 and 25 ohm version? 

8 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Not true.  I play CSGO often with my M50X's and the sound stage is really great.  I can hear footsteps and place their direction with ease.  I also do use the Shooter sound config in Alienware sound center, which may or may not make a difference.

3 minutes ago, lilbman said:

Not true.  I play CSGO often with my M50X's and the sound stage is really great.  I can hear footsteps and place their direction with ease.  I also do use the Shooter sound config in Alienware sound center, which may or may not make a difference.

Ok ill take this to my attention 

12 minutes ago, lilbman said:

So every single person on the web is wrong? I ALSO OWN THEM, I ALSO PLAY CSGO and guess what zero fucking soundstage,

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

7 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

So every single person on the web is wrong? I ALSO OWN THEM, I ALSO PLAY CSGO and guess what zero fucking soundstage,

Im propably gonna get the DT770 but what ohm and whats your cs rank wanna play someday? 

4 minutes ago, Snowi_ said:

Im propably gonna get the DT770 but what ohm and whats your cs rank wanna play someday? 

just get 80ohm, oh well I played on a GE "team" (just some friends) Now I am more for fun once in a while

2 minutes ago, Snowi_ said:

they are open, so they leak sound. They have a elevated bass and treble and the treble can be a bit too harsh for some, but they do have a bigger soundstage

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

Zero soundstage, you say? Then why can I hear sounds coming from different directions?  For headphones to have 'zero fucking soundstage', you can't hear sounds from certain directions.  Did I get a special pair?  Did I get a fluke?

With my audio settings, I have a huge soundstage.  So to correct you, they do have a soundstage. You just can't have inferior audio to use it.  In simpler terms, get virtual surround sound :) 

Thang.PNG

1 minute ago, lilbman said:

snip

Zero soundstage doesn't meant that you cannot hear if they are to the right or to the left of you.

big soundstage is when when you can start to sense distance, when everything isn't happening in the middle of your head. A big soundstage will make it sound more like it would in real life. A very very small one like the M50x has makes everything sound like it is happening in the middle of your head.

A big soundstage makes it much much easier to pin point the exact location of things, while with a small one everything is kinda packed together.

Also don't come here with inferior audio, we both know that my audio setup is much much better than alienware, even my fucking onboard would wreck alienware.

Also as stated before virtual surround is preference, some like it some don't, not everyone gets a benefit from using it.

Now please go out and try a pair of AD500x and see the difference in soundstage..

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Zero soundstage doesn't meant that you cannot hear if they are to the right or to the left of you.

big soundstage is when when you can start to sense distance, when everything isn't happening in the middle of your head. A big soundstage will make it sound more like it would in real life. A very very small one like the M50x has makes everything sound like it is happening in the middle of your head.

A big soundstage makes it much much easier to pin point the exact location of things, while with a small one everything is kinda packed together.

Also don't come here with inferior audio, we both know that my audio setup is much much better than alienware, even my fucking onboard would wreck alienware.

Also as stated before virtual surround is preference, some like it some don't, not everyone gets a benefit from using it.

Now please go out and try a pair of AD500x and see the difference in soundstage..

LOL it doesn't sound like it's in the middle of my skull, it sounds like where it's coming from.  I can pinpoint exactly where the enemy is.

Actually, I don't know about your audio setup and quite honestly no one fucking cares

It's way better with virtual surround.

We aren't even comparing apples to apples here. AD500X's are open back headphones.  M50X's are closed back headphones.

1 minute ago, lilbman said:

LOL it doesn't sound like it's in the middle of my skull, it sounds like where it's coming from.  I can pinpoint exactly where the enemy is.

Did you forget I OWN THEM, I know how they sound and yes everything is very much in the middle of your head sounding compared to any headphones with just a decent soundstage, you can basically ask anyone

2 minutes ago, lilbman said:

Actually, I don't know about your audio setup and quite honestly no one fucking cares

20 minutes ago, lilbman said:

You just can't have inferior audio to use it.  In simpler terms, get virtual surround sound

Then don't say this stupid shit

2 minutes ago, lilbman said:

It's way better with virtual surround.

that is again OPINION BASED

3 minutes ago, lilbman said:

We aren't even comparing apples to apples here. AD500X's are open back headphones.  M50X's are closed back headphones.

Sure, just compare to some AKG K553 then or the DT770, both of those headphones has a decent to big soundstage for closed.

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

Did you forget I OWN THEM, I know how they sound and yes everything is very much in the middle of your head sounding compared to any headphones with just a decent soundstage, you can basically ask anyone

1 hour ago, lilbman said:

That is opinionated.

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

Then don't say this stupid shit

You use a fucking Thinkpad.  Not the most high quality laptop in terms of performance or
audio.

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

Sure, just compare to some AKG K553 then or the DT770, both of those headphones has a decent to big soundstage for closed.

We are comparing the M50X's and the AD500X's. Stay on topic.

Overall, I think the M50X's are fine for gaming, as long as you have a modmic.  You are entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't mean I have to give a shit about what you say.  

No one cares about your 'audio setup' or your 'audio expertise'.  Don't be such an elitist about it.

What kind of audio you experience you want to gain? I assume I may be a bit late here to throw in another suggestion and the DT770 is probably already a good option. Knowing what kind of music you like and what you like/dislike about what you've used already could help us direct you to a pair that could suit your needs. (If you haven't already made a purchase.)

I've tried the M50X and compared them to HD202s and HD439s for closed and HD558 for open and they do indeed feel like the sound is inside your head. Sure you can tell left from right and if the game has a headphones audio setting it might ease things a bit but there's still a difference that can be perceived with headphones that offer a wider experience. The HD 202s give the same impression but the HD 439s do feel a little wider. The 558s even wider but they are open. With the M50s, the bass is murderous and the highs can be unpleasant. Maybe that'll make footsteps stick out more? Might make those explosions in games more "fun" too but It probably will anything else just painful to listen to. 
TL;DR., I wouldn't recommend the M50X. 

My mobo drivers had some Creative Audio "enhancer" or whatever it was. I'd suggest to avoid that stuff, makes everything sound like garbage in my opinion. If headphones require you to install drivers and programs to make them sound better then they're probably not worth it in the first place. Still, to each their own. 

edit - should calrify I wasn't writing this post to recommend the Senns mentioned above. Was just writing what I had used to give some reference when discussing the M50X.

+1 DT770 pro 80ohms, it wrecks M50x anytime of the day, with better comfort and sound :D

M50x are good, but way too overhyped.

Note: you dont require an amp, nowadays motherboard are powerful enough to drive these.. 

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

9 hours ago, lilbman said:

That is opinionated.

You use a fucking Thinkpad.  Not the most high quality laptop in terms of performance or
audio.

We are comparing the M50X's and the AD500X's. Stay on topic.

Overall, I think the M50X's are fine for gaming, as long as you have a modmic.  You are entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't mean I have to give a shit about what you say.  

No one cares about your 'audio setup' or your 'audio expertise'.  Don't be such an elitist about it.

oh god, you just failed hard there.

1. Nope, not really, it is only you that thinks they have a soundstage.

2. Oh shit I also have a desktop with a formula VI motherboard, oh shit I also own a O2/ODAC combo. A ThinkPad not being high quality, are you stupid? A ThinkPad makes a MacBook look like a cheap toy of a laptop, so my ThinkPad was never high in performance? It only has the best i7 m CPU at the time oh and a quadro and guess what after 4 years it wrecks ULV CPU systems in 3D programs, heck a mobile 4th gen i5 quad core has a hard time keeping up in autocad. Don't talk shit about something you know jack shit about.

3. You complained about me comparing them to open, and now you complain about me comparing them to closed headphones, make your mind up. They loose no matter what.

4. Why a modmic? Why not a desktop microphone or a lavalir mic. Basically everyone that knows audio thinks they suck ass for FPS games. I do not care what you think, I do not care if I hurt your feelings by calling them shit for FPS games.

5. How the hell am I being a elitist about it? I have done NOTHING at all to be a elitist. OH is it because your feelings, so you better call me something that I ain't?

see there is a difference between us, I know what the hell I am talking about and you don't. I want to get OP what is best for him, while you just want him to buy some overpriced and overhyped headphones.

You try to go personal, by going after the laptop I use, but you fail hard, because you have no fucking clue of what kind of laptop it is. Heck let me put a i7 quad core in it, just because I can.

Is it that hard to look at a signature and understand the things down there? You clearly looked because it is the only place I say that I have this laptop. Also guess what I am proud of owning it, because it is a great laptop and I have it in a rare configuration.

Lilbman and Dackzy you dont have to argue here go do it somewhere else you dont need to be so toxic because i askel a question or you triggered eachother pls :)

17 hours ago, FoxyOrange said:

What kind of audio you experience you want to gain? I assume I may be a bit late here to throw in another suggestion and the DT770 is probably already a good option. Knowing what kind of music you like and what you like/dislike about what you've used already could help us direct you to a pair that could suit your needs. (If you haven't already made a purchase.)

I've tried the M50X and compared them to HD202s and HD439s for closed and HD558 for open and they do indeed feel like the sound is inside your head. Sure you can tell left from right and if the game has a headphones audio setting it might ease things a bit but there's still a difference that can be perceived with headphones that offer a wider experience. The HD 202s give the same impression but the HD 439s do feel a little wider. The 558s even wider but they are open. With the M50s, the bass is murderous and the highs can be unpleasant. Maybe that'll make footsteps stick out more? Might make those explosions in games more "fun" too but It probably will anything else just painful to listen to. 
TL;DR., I wouldn't recommend the M50X. 

My mobo drivers had some Creative Audio "enhancer" or whatever it was. I'd suggest to avoid that stuff, makes everything sound like garbage in my opinion. If headphones require you to install drivers and programs to make them sound better then they're probably not worth it in the first place. Still, to each their own. 

edit - should calrify I wasn't writing this post to recommend the Senns mentioned above. Was just writing what I had used to give some reference when discussing the M50X.

Im using the turtle beach px22 atm and i mainly listen to electro and all kinds of music basically. And as i stated earlier i mainly play csgo and fps games so i want to be able to hear footsteps well. :)

4 hours ago, Snowi_ said:

Im using the turtle beach px22 atm and i mainly listen to electro and all kinds of music basically. And as i stated earlier i mainly play csgo and fps games so i want to be able to hear footsteps well. :)

Go for the DT770 pro 80 ohms. I play csgo with it have zero complaints. Good soundstage for a closed back headphone.

If you want to try surround sound, just download it from the web, razer is providing for free.

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

i recommend the m40x with some new pads if you want some good closed cans for less, the m50x over does a lot of things and can be annoying after a while. the mod mic should be fine but id recommend a desk mic if you have the space and budget as they tend to sound more natural and less like you are on an old ham radio.

wan