Can my gpu be saved?

MrXonte

So i have a laptop thats already 5 years old (the old alienware 14inch) and its performance is insanly bad. I know its 5 year old hardware and i dont expect much but it has not been working as it should for 2 years already. What not working well means? my gt 555m and i7 (dont know which one exactly, but can look up if its important) get outperfomed by a laptop i3 of the same generation in League of Legends. I have not tried testing it with other games since anything that actually takes a bit of power is pretty much unplayable. I get a top of 40fps with lowest settings in league while doing literally nothing and nothing happening. While moving they drop to ~25fps and when a bit of stuff is happening it drops to ~10fps and when a bit more stuff is happening 1-2fps. The i3 is playing on medium settings, 720p and usually is stable around 30fps with some ups and downs when teamfighting or idling. 

Now my question: Is there a chance that i might have just fcked up somewhere and this mess can still be safed? Currently i have the gpu simply disabled since the i7s internal graphics are more stable, although still unplayable for me. I have up to date drivers, cooling should be fine too (it sounds like a yet turbine and is dust free) although temps go over 100° everytime i play games. 

If it is dustfree but with those temps either the fan is bad or the termal past is reduced to a fine powder that could be mistaken for chalk

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

Buy a can of compressed air, open up the laptop and clean out the fans and the fins in the heat sink. Dust is bad for any computer but with the very little space you have for airflow in laptops it can be much worse. (in my experience) It's an easy process, just make sure you hold the can of compressed air up straight and don't spray for long bursts. Hold the fans in place so they aren't forced as you spray them so the motors aren't damaged. 

My bad, missed your mention of it being dust free. Can't hurt to do a proper clean though. Just because something looks fine doesn't mean there's chunks of dust hiding out of sight. 

As mentioned by the user above, the fans may be dying or you could need to replace the thermal paste. Another thing to try is a clean install maybe? What kind of surface are you using it on?

46 minutes ago, malon said:

If it is dustfree but with those temps either the fan is bad or the termal past is reduced to a fine powder that could be mistaken for chalk

fan is spinning and with hwinfo i can turn it up to 7000rpm which keeps temp in check for cheap 2d games and its loud as hell then so it does something at least. As for thermal paste i honestly dont know, but i will check it out. Im guessing thermal paste might be the issue. Will post pictures after opening up my laptop

49 minutes ago, FoxyOrange said:

Buy a can of compressed air, open up the laptop and clean out the fans and the fins in the heat sink. Dust is bad for any computer but with the very little space you have for airflow in laptops it can be much worse. (in my experience) It's an easy process, just make sure you hold the can of compressed air up straight and don't spray for long bursts. Hold the fans in place so they aren't forced as you spray them so the motors aren't damaged. 

My bad, missed your mention of it being dust free. Can't hurt to do a proper clean though. Just because something looks fine doesn't mean there's chunks of dust hiding out of sight. 

As mentioned by the user above, the fans may be dying or you could need to replace the thermal paste. Another thing to try is a clean install maybe? What kind of surface are you using it on?

clean install is not helping, at least not with windows 10 and i dont have another windows around sadly. I clean installed windows at least 10 times this year due to problems with some programms here and there but no change in performance except that the laptop starts up faster after the clean install.