Amp/DAC for incoming Sennheiser HD6xx under USD170

Lukiose

As the title suggests, i'm currently using a FiiO E10 with a Sennheiser HD558.

I managed to snipe a #38 HD6xx from massdrop during the initial blowout which will be arriving in December so i think an upgrade for my Amp is due since i doubt the E10s can drive 300Ohmz.

I'm not very keen on dropping too much on the Amp/DAC upgrade though, preferably around the range of or under 170USD. I will also try to look for discounts during the Black Friday sales that are coming up.

Do the audioheads here have any decent recommendations for a high cost/performance unit to drive the HD650 equivalent?

Currently i'm looking at the Littledot MKii but it is an Amp-only unit with no DAC. I'm not sure if i really need a DAC as my motherboard is currently an RoG Maximus VIII Impact, so both Amp+DAC combos or purely good Amps are fine if a DAC is not required in my case

@Dackzy should help you. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Schiit Vali 2

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

yep schiit vali 2, the HD650/6xx loves tubes

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

even though it's utter schitt, I've heard good things

Spoiler

I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

46 minutes ago, Lukiose said:

As the title suggests, i'm currently using a FiiO E10 with a Sennheiser HD558.

I managed to snipe a #38 HD6xx from massdrop during the initial blowout which will be arriving in December so i think an upgrade for my Amp is due since i doubt the E10s can drive 300Ohmz.

I'm not very keen on dropping too much on the Amp/DAC upgrade though, preferably around the range of or under 170USD. I will also try to look for discounts during the Black Friday sales that are coming up.

Do the audioheads here have any decent recommendations for a high cost/performance unit to drive the HD650 equivalent?

Currently i'm looking at the Littledot MKii but it is an Amp-only unit with no DAC. I'm not sure if i really need a DAC as my motherboard is currently an RoG Maximus VIII Impact, so both Amp+DAC combos or purely good Amps are fine if a DAC is not required in my case

How did you find out what serial number if any on the new pair? 

Thank you for all the replies, will definitely check it out, price point seems reasonable too :)

10 minutes ago, tomoki said:

How did you find out what serial number if any on the new pair? 

I'm not sure if the serial number will be in order number, but you can find out your order placement from the transaction number in the checkout page.

It starts from

MD-30891-1447xxx

Where the last 3 is your checkout number, or 8|9xxx if you are in the thousands

7 minutes ago, Lukiose said:

Thank you for all the replies, will definitely check it out, price point seems reasonable too :)

I'm not sure if the serial number will be in order number, but you can find out your order placement from the transaction number in the checkout page.

It starts from

MD-30891-1447xxx

Where the last 3 is your checkout number, or 8|9xxx if you are in the thousands

Oh Yeah I just messaged support about this because AlexPeterkin and Kunal were saying how they would have engineers look over the transactions to see who would get serial numbers and who wouldn't. I'm in the 2000s because of the site crashing that day but when I first clicked it, only 54 had bought it. I'm hoping for some sort of justice but.. if there's none it's like FINEEEE ~ I still get a lovely pair of headphones :D