USB Drive for XUbuntu

JoaoPRSousa

Heys guys :)

So, I'm looking for a USB drive from which I can run Xubuntu, fast enough. I'm running it on a regular USB stick, and, well, it's pretty slow.

My question is, to run it properly, do I need a USB drive with high read speeds, high write reads, or a good combo of both? (Currently looking at the SanDisk Extreme 32GB - 23€ at Amazon.es)

Thanks for any input :D

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

1 minute ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Heys guys :)

So, I'm looking for a USB drive from which I can run Xubuntu, fast enough. I'm running it on a regular USB stick, and, well, it's pretty slow.

My question is, to run it properly, do I need a USB drive with high read speeds, high write reads, or a good combo of both? (Currently looking at the SanDisk Extreme 32GB - 23€ at Amazon.es)

Thanks for any input :D

Reads are more important than writes.

But really any decent USB 3.0 drive will work.

15 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

~snip~

Hello :)

What drive are you currently using? 

As @M.Yurizaki suggested, pretty much any good USB3.0 flash drive should do the trick as the bandwidth allows for speeds higher than regular HDDs'. 

What  are you running the OS on (desktop, laptop)? 

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

7 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Hello :)

What drive are you currently using? 

As @M.Yurizaki suggested, pretty much any good USB3.0 flash drive should do the trick as the bandwidth allows for speeds higher than regular HDDs'. 

What  are you running the OS on (desktop, laptop)? 

Captain_WD. 

On my laptop I'm running Windows 10 through the 1TB HDD (5400rpm), and I'm looking for a fast enough USB stick to run XUbuntu (any Ubuntu) to use in classes and all that, because I don't feel like dual booting (don't want to screw my Windows and files), and it's always nice to have an OS of your own if you have a computer available that isn't yours.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

11 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

~snip~

In that case pretty much any USB3.0 flash drive should to the trick.

You may also go firther by using a dedicated external storage drive with more capacity for this. It should also cover your needs. 

WD My Passport and WD Elements Portable should work.

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/