HDD Vibration Under Load ?

Lyetnel
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,
On 20.11.2016 г. at 3:29 AM, Lyetnel said:

~snip~

I'm sorry to hear about the troubles you are going through. 

Try testing that drive on another system with the DOS tool and see if the drive is recognized. 

Let me know if you need help with your new WD Blue.

Your current drive's S.M.A.R.T. status doesn't really seem that critical so you should be able to save some data on it but don't rely on it for important data that you can't afford to lose. 

Captain_WD. 

Hi . Recently im playing Heroes of The Storm and when i try to enter the game (which loads the map, joins the server etc.) hdd goes under %100 usage and vibrates like i ve never seen before. I played games before but not much loading screens that i have caused this issue.

It makes the same scatching-vibration thing when installing something, loading operating system and sometimes opening heavy programs .

I do have a Samsung HD103SJ 7200RPM 1TB HDD and bought it quite a long time ago too.  It has 19225 power on hours , and few additional SMART infos which i will add below. Which one should i trust , SMART infos that say health GOOD in Crystaldiskinfo or vibration-scratching ? Waiting answer from you guys thanks ! 

PS: C7-UltraDMA CRC Error Count caused by faulty cable that i had a year ago. I fixed it and stopped at the exact value and never moved again. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskInfo 7.0.4 (C) 2008-2016 hiyohiyo
                                Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/

Date : 2016/11/13 5:32:53
 (1) SAMSUNG HD103SJ : 1000,2 GB [0/0/0, pd1]

Model : SAMSUNG HD103SJ
        Firmware : 1AJ10001
       Disk Size : 1000,2 GB (8,4/137,4/1000,2/1000,2)
     Buffer Size : 32767 KB
     Queue Depth : 32
    # of Sectors : 1953525168
   Rotation Rate : 7200 RPM
  Power On Hours : 19225 hours
  Power On Count : 3742 count
     Temperature : 29 C (84 F)

ID Cur Wor Thr RawValues(6) Attribute Name
01 100 100 _51 26 Read Error Rate
02 252 252 __0 0 Throughput Performance
03 _71 _65 _25 9085 Spin-Up Time
04 _97 _97 __0 3819 Start/Stop Count
05 252 252 _10 0 Reallocated Sectors Count
07 252 252 _51 0 Seek Error Rate
08 252 252 _15 0 Seek Time Performance
09 100 100 __0 19225 Power-On Hours
0A 252 252 _51 0 Spin Retry Count
0B 252 252 __0 0 Recalibration Retries
0C _97 _97 __0 3742 Power Cycle Count
BF 100 100 __0 10 G-Sense Error Rate
C0 252 252 __0 0 Power-off Retract Count
C2 _64 _56 __0 188979478557 Temperature
C3 100 100 __0 0 Hardware ECC recovered
C4 252 252 __0 0 Reallocation Event Count
C5 252 252 __0 0 Current Pending Sector Count
C6 252 252 __0 0 Uncorrectable Sector Count
C7 _88 _88 __0 6586 UltraDMA CRC Error Count
C8 100 _99 __0 32492 Write Error Rate
DF 252 252 __0 0 Load/Unload Retry Count
E1 100 100 __0 3861 Load/Unload Cycle Count

Those Samsung Spinpoint are good drives. They run at lower temperatures to WD and are a little but faster. Iv got an old one lying around that still works and has about half the hours yours has. It sound to me like the read head is working hard. Time for a Defrag?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

@Electronics Wizard, thanks mate for your answer !

@SCHISCHKA , thanks for your answer too. I thought w10 defragging auto every week. I checked it manually it found %2 on C drive and %0 on other drive but you never know so i did defrag it ! I hope it does not surprise me one morning by not working . 

If it's vibrating a lot, then it might be a problem, but it's normal to HDD make some noise when they are reading/writing data.

On 13.11.2016 г. at 4:37 AM, Lyetnel said:

~snip~

Hi there :)

The S.M.A.R.T. status does look OK. Have you tried running a diagnostic tool from the manufacturer and see if the drive passes all tests? Have you checked the fragmentation level on that drive? 

I would also try moving the drive around in the case and check if it's mounted properly  as it may be resonating with the case or a cable that may be touching it during heavier workloads. 

Running chkdsk /r from the cmd may be a good idea as it will scan the whole surface of the drive and check for errors. 

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

On 11/15/2016 at 0:41 PM, Captain_WD said:

Hi there :)

The S.M.A.R.T. status does look OK. Have you tried running a diagnostic tool from the manufacturer and see if the drive passes all tests? Have you checked the fragmentation level on that drive? 

I would also try moving the drive around in the case and check if it's mounted properly  as it may be resonating with the case or a cable that may be touching it during heavier workloads. 

Running chkdsk /r from the cmd may be a good idea as it will scan the whole surface of the drive and check for errors. 

Captain_WD. 

Hello ! 

Sorry for late response it was my exam week. I contacted with seagate and they told me to use Seatools DOS for Acoustic Test. I did other tests on windows application of Seatools and it passed all of them. But i couldnt seem to get DOS working because it does not see my disk at all which is working currently ? I contacted them again and they said the driver is failed and they can not replace because its not in warranty anymore . Like, am i going crazy or this device passing all the tests but 1 DOS application (which i burnt to cd to boot while pc is starting) cant see my drive and all of a sudden its a failed drive ? I have this sound for almost a year but i just wanted to know whats causing and their only answer is to say its failed.

I already have WD Blue 1TB on the way which i should be getting next week. Going to back up important stuff to that + install system on that drive too.

And one more question guys, should i keep storing my files in this drive or it is long gone ? Thanks all for replies... 

On 20.11.2016 г. at 3:29 AM, Lyetnel said:

~snip~

Try testing that drive on another system with the DOS tool and see if the drive is recognized. 

Your current drive's S.M.A.R.T. status doesn't really seem that critical so you should be able to save some data on it but don't rely on it for important data that you can't afford to lose. 

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

10 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Captain_WD. 

Well currently i'm out of town , going to try your advice Captain. Will yet you know if anything occurs. Thanks for your helpful responses.