Oculus Rift or HTC Vive?

saladcrack

Pretty straight forward question, which one should I be looking at getting? Rift or Vive?  I personally see the Vive as a superior headset as you can actually get up and move with it (to an extent obviously).  And I don't really like how the Oculus comes with it's own headphones attached and the controllers aren't even released yet.  And yes, VR takes more power but I have a sufficient build (http://pcpartpicker.com/list/dcXgtJ) so don't worry.  But another option is available and that's Playstation VR.  Now Playstation VR games, I assume, should be more optimized and "perfected" to work on a Playstation but the games are very limited.  Or should I not even bother jumping to VR because "it's just a fad" like 3D TVs?  But on the other had I REALLY want to play VR pool and roast pirates in Elite Dangerous in VR.  Anyway, any help or opinions are greatly appreciated!

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

Vive is universally reviewed as the better VR experience.  Make of that what you will.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Not that vr is a fad, its too big for that, but rather the first generation is far from perfect. Wait for the second or third generation.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

You can get up and move with the Rift too.

The headphones on the Rift are a major advantage with no downside. You can take them off if you really want, but the convenience factor of them is really, really worth it. Even more so if you want to get up and move around.

It's a tough choice, both PC VR solutions are good. PSVR is cheaper but can have tracking issues. And some other limitations.

1 minute ago, Samfisher said:

Vive is universally reviewed as the better VR experience.  Make of that what you will.

Only by fanboys.

3 minutes ago, Gamessys said:

Pretty straight forward question, which one should I be looking at getting? Rift or Vive?  I personally see the Vive as a superior headset as you can actually get up and move with it (to an extent obviously).  And I don't really like how the Oculus comes with it's own headphones attached and the controllers aren't even released yet.  And yes, VR takes more power but I have a sufficient build (http://pcpartpicker.com/list/dcXgtJ) so don't worry.  But another option is available and that's Playstation VR.  Now Playstation VR games, I assume, should be more optimized and "perfected" to work on a Playstation but the games are very limited.  Or should I not even bother jumping to VR because "it's just a fad" like 3D TVs?  But on the other had I REALLY want to play VR pool and roast pirates in Elite Dangerous in VR.  Anyway, any help or opinions are greatly appreciated!

i wouldn't buy vr for the 5 games that it has available for it that i want to play. it simply is too expensive for that. like, if you can miss the money go for it but i would personally at the very least wait for second gen.

1 minute ago, tlink said:

i wouldn't buy vr for the 5 games that it has available for it that i want to play. it simply is too expensive for that. like, if you can miss the money go for it but i would personally at the very least wait for second gen.

On Steam alone there are over 1000 games that come up when I search "VR" but ok...

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

1 minute ago, Gamessys said:

On Steam alone there are over 1000 games that come up when I search "VR" but ok...

yes but that was not my point. my point was that only 5 of them interest me.. i wouldn't buy the vive for 5 games.

Just now, Sakkura said:

Only by fanboys.

You can't be a fanboy if it's literally the first thing either company has made... Fanboying requires previous releases to build a fan base to begin with.  And almost every single review from respectable sites choose Vive over the Rift, so you know, fanboy amirite.

Just now, tlink said:

yes but that was not my point. my point was that only 5 of them interest me. 

Well the question was VR for me not you soooo....

4 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Only by fanboys.

VIVE is universally reviewed as a better experience. It costs more for a reason. The headphone quality is horrible compared to what most people who enjoy technology would use on a daily basis. I use planar headphones so the difference in sound quality would be huge.

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

Just now, Gamessys said:

Well the question was VR for me not you soooo....

you talked about 2 games in your post, i was implying that if you only like a few games like 2 or 5 than it doesn't seem worth it.

You can't be a fanboy if it's literally the first thing either company has made... Fanboying requires previous releases to build a fan base to begin with.  And almost every single review from respectable sites choose Vive over the Rift, so you know, fanboy amirite.

HTC and Valve have made things before...

And no, you're wrong about the reviews. There are plenty of reviews saying the Rift is the better headset - just many of them also saying the Vive controllers temporarily put it ahead. That advantage is gone in a few weeks.

Buying virtual reality is mostly for prosumers or developers. If you have the money to use there is no reason not to. But you're going to have to deal with the enormous hassle of setting it all up. And the PS VR system aint that bad. Just lower quality.

1 minute ago, tlink said:

you talked about 2 games in your post, i was implying that if you only like a few games like 2 or 5 than it doesn't seem worth it.

Didn't really take the time to go through all 1000 games and put the ones I liked into my post.  Sorry, I'll do better next time.

Just now, Sakkura said:

HTC and Valve have made things before...

And no, you're wrong about the reviews. There are plenty of reviews saying the Rift is the better headset - just many of them also saying the Vive controllers temporarily put it ahead. That advantage is gone in a few weeks.

HTC and Valve have never made things on their together, and Valve made 1 thing anyone semi-cared about, the Steam Controller.  And even with the controllers out of the picture, the Vive experience has been said to be better anyway.  Not like I care cos both are too young techs for me.

1 minute ago, ThatOneRussian said:

VIVE is universally reviewed as a better experience. It costs more for a reason. The headphone quality is horrible compared to what most people who enjoy technology would use on a daily basis. I use planar headphones so the difference in sound quality would be huge.

Stop with the misinformation.

The Vive is not reviewed better, most sites consider the Rift headset better than the Vive headset. The Rift just launched without its motion controllers, but they're only a few weeks away now (and most previews indicate they're better than the Vive controllers). The motion controllers is why the Vive costs more; with the Oculus Touch controllers, the total price difference is $1.

The headphone quality is very good. But again, if you absolutely must have the best Sennheiser cans on, you can take off the built-in headphones.

I use a pair of high-end Sennheiser headphones for normal gaming. For VR, the headphones built into the Rift provide the superior experience, so that's what I use.

Buying virtual reality is mostly for prosumers or developers. If you have the money to use there is no reason not to. But you're going to have to deal with the enormous hassle of setting it all up. And the PS VR system aint that bad. Just lower quality.

It doesn't seem that difficult to set up, especially with Steam VR making it look easy to just jump into VR games.

Vive used to cost more because it came with specialized controllers. The Rift kit that includes the controllers cost as much as the Vive's setup.

Also, the Vive isn't universally regarded as the better experience because of its quality. It's regarded that way because of the controllers. The Rift is regarded as the better of the actual headsets, and preliminary reviews of the touch controllers are putting the Rift in the spot of the better overall package.

This is coming from someone that doesn't give a shit about either.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

HTC and Valve have never made things on their together, and Valve made 1 thing anyone semi-cared about, the Steam Controller.  And even with the controllers out of the picture, the Vive experience has been said to be better anyway.  Not like I care cos both are too young techs for me.

Valve made several of the highest rated PC games ever.

With the controllers out of the picture, most reviews indicate the Rift is better than the Vive.

Just now, Sakkura said:

Valve made several of the highest rated PC games ever.

With the controllers out of the picture, most reviews indicate the Rift is better than the Vive.

And Facebook is used by half the world, your point? Their previous stuff has no relevance to how people view the hardware they released.

Rift requires additional purchase of the controllers which will lead to a more expensive price than Vive, i've played with both of them for quite a few days, I can tell you that i got bored with both after that time.

Just now, Samfisher said:

And Facebook is used by half the world, your point? Their previous stuff has no relevance to how people view the hardware they released.

Valve is a company a lot of people like. So what if this is a new product category?

2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Stop with the misinformation.

The Vive is not reviewed better, most sites consider the Rift headset better than the Vive headset. The Rift just launched without its motion controllers, but they're only a few weeks away now (and most previews indicate they're better than the Vive controllers). The motion controllers is why the Vive costs more; with the Oculus Touch controllers, the total price difference is $1.

The headphone quality is very good. But again, if you absolutely must have the best Sennheiser cans on, you can take off the built-in headphones.

I use a pair of high-end Sennheiser headphones for normal gaming. For VR, the headphones built into the Rift provide the superior experience, so that's what I use.

Sources? Please? Youre spouting all this bs about how rift is better. The vive has better technology. If you're calling out people for being a fanboy. Take a look in the mirror. Vive costs more because it has better technology inside of it. Also a pair of high end Sennheiser headphones don't come close to planar, hand custom made headphones. Like im sorry but if Oculus is wasting its money on shitty headphones. Instead of putting more money into their lacking product. Which is only popular because there is nothing else on the market. It seems that the vive is much more universal. Most reviews say that the vive costs more for a reason. Because its better plain and simple.

1 minute ago, Becausei'mBatman said:

Rift requires additional purchase of the controllers which will lead to a more expensive price than Vive, i've played with both of them for quite a few days, I can tell you that i got bored with both after that time.

The Rift costs $599, Touch controllers $199. Total: $798.

The Vive costs $799.

That's a price difference of $1.