EVGA heating problem

I heard about the EVGA VRM heating issues. Since I was considering going for an evga gtx 1080, this is pretty upsetting. I've heard they are issuing free thermal pads for the fix, and that graphics cards shipped out will now have them installed. But I was wandering if I bought mine around the end of November, will it come with the thermal pad as I'm not confident enough to open up the video card and install it myself 

There is nothing wrong with the VRM during normal operation.

If you run a extreme stress test like furmark or extreme overclock you might have a problem.

Is the VRM mod worth it? If you want to open up your card and see what is inside, yes. If not, don't bother.

3 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

There is nothing wrong with the VRM during normal operation.

If you run a extreme stress test like furmark or extreme overclock you might have a problem.

Is the VRM mod worth it? If you want to open up your card and see what is inside, yes. If not, don't bother.

Maybe. I do run long gameplay sessions, and I've seen some threads of video cards sparking and dying. This is a concern to me. 

1 minute ago, prostrike33 said:

Maybe. I do run long gameplay sessions, and I've seen some threads of video cards sparking and dying. This is a concern to me. 

I doubt it. If you are concerned about your GPU, give EVGA a call, but I can assure you, there is nothing wrong with your GPU. 

All EVGA cards shipped after November 1st have the updated BIOS and proper thermal pads installed. However, if you buy an EVGA 10XX card from a supplier who hasn't sold all of their old stock yet, they might ship you one of the cards that doesn't already have the fixes in place. You should be able to tell whether a card you buy is updated by looking at the sides, to see where the thermal pads are, and how good their contact is.

I don't know about the VRM thing... there have been numerous cases of people running stock settings, and with good cooling, reporting issues with their EVGA 10XX card. What's the cause of the issues isn't always confirmed, but there seems to be a lot of black screen cards, and cards which suddenly develop artifacting that gets worse over time, even at stock settings. The artifacting seems to be associated with VRAM problems, and the VRAM on non-fixed EVGA 10XX cards is also lacking proper thermal pads, and so is running hotter than they're supposed to.

I think that everyone who is able to should apply the thermal pad mod EVGA is offering for free, and also to set up an aggressive custom fan profile until they have the proper thermal pads installed.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

9 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I doubt it. If you are concerned about your GPU, give EVGA a call, but I can assure you, there is nothing wrong with your GPU. 

I haven't bought the GPU yet. I was just wandering if the cards now come with a thermal pad, or if the first thing I should do after I get the card is give EVGA a call.

If you haven't bought it yet, just get an ASUS STRIX or a MSI Gaming X or Z

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

10 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

All EVGA cards shipped after November 1st have the updated BIOS and proper thermal pads installed. However, if you buy an EVGA 10XX card from a supplier who hasn't sold all of their old stock yet, they might ship you one of the cards that doesn't already have the fixes in place. You should be able to tell whether a card you buy is updated by looking at the sides, to see where the thermal pads are, and how good their contact is.

I don't know about the VRM thing... there have been numerous cases of people running stock settings, and with good cooling, reporting issues with their EVGA 10XX card. What's the cause of the issues isn't always confirmed, but there seems to be a lot of black screen cards, and cards which suddenly develop artifacting that gets worse over time, even at stock settings. The artifacting seems to be associated with VRAM problems, and the VRAM on non-fixed EVGA 10XX cards is also lacking proper thermal pads, and so is running hotter than they're supposed to.

I think that everyone who is able to should apply the thermal pad mod EVGA is offering for free, and also to set up an aggressive custom fan profile until they have the proper thermal pads installed.

Very informative thanks. So without opening the card, I can look inside to check if the thermal pads are installed? 

1 minute ago, Shiv78 said:

If you haven't bought it yet, just get an ASUS STRIX or a MSI Gaming X or Z

The three cards I considered getting were the gaming x, asus strix, or evga sc / ftw. The gaming x is the most expensive for some reason, and I've heard some horror stories about Asus customer service, so the evga is currently my best option. 

Shouldn't have to worry about that anymore.

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

Order it from evga if you can't use a screw driver correctly. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

5 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Order it from evga if you can't use a screw driver correctly. 

I'm kind of tired of seeing comments like these. I'm using Mick as an example but this is a message to all:

Just because someone doesn't feel comfortable with opening up their graphics card doesn't mean they are incompetent or unable to use a screw driver. In the OP's case, he is about to spend excess of $600 on a small piece of hardware. He does NOT want to mess it up and probably doesn't have very much if any experience doing this kind of thing at all.

It's perfectly understandable for someone to be weary of doing this type of thing even if they have done it before.

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

1 minute ago, Railgun said:

I'm kind of tired of seeing comments like these. I'm using Mick as an example but this is a message to all:

Just because someone doesn't feel comfortable with opening up their graphics card doesn't mean they are incompetent or unable to use a screw driver. In the OP's case, he is about to spend excess of $600 on a small piece of hardware. He does NOT want to mess it up and probably doesn't have very much if any experience doing this kind of thing at all.

It's perfectly understandable for someone to be weary of doing this type of thing even if they have done it before.

Meh, didn't stop me from cracking open my brand new Titan years ago with the same intentions. Some talk about it while other be about it. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Also whatever everybody is saying DO NOT put the card under heavy load until you have the mod done. The VRMs are getting really hot.

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

On 11/11/2016 at 0:40 PM, Mick Naughty said:

Meh, didn't stop me from cracking open my brand new Titan years ago with the same intentions. Some talk about it while other be about it. 

Great. You're more competent than I am. Gold star for you

On 11/11/2016 at 8:08 AM, Delicieuxz said:

All EVGA cards shipped after November 1st have the updated BIOS and proper thermal pads installed.

Where did you hear the cards will ship with the thermal pads installed already? The only sources I can find just say the cards will ship with the VBIOS update. It would make me feel a lot better to see the new cards having the thermal pads on them but I need to confirm this. Thanks.

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

21 hours ago, prostrike33 said:

Great. You're more competent than I am. Gold star for you

Need help putting the card in? I could use another star. 

hey buddy, 

I have a evga gtx 1070. they have a forum post on their website that outlines what they will do if you happen to damage your GPU during thermal pad installation. TLDR they will just replace your card if you screw it up... if you don't want to attempt the installation in the first place, you can just ship your card to them and they will send you a new one with the fix applied. 

Hope that helps :)

-Chris P 

- Chris

On 11/11/2016 at 6:19 AM, prostrike33 said:

Very informative thanks. So without opening the card, I can look inside to check if the thermal pads are installed? 

You should be able to look at the side of the card to see which thermal pads are there, whether backplate and VRM thermal pads are present. You can also inspect whether the VRAM thermal pads are making proper contact this way.

9 hours ago, Railgun said:

Where did you hear the cards will ship with the thermal pads installed already? The only sources I can find just say the cards will ship with the VBIOS update. It would make me feel a lot better to see the new cards having the thermal pads on them but I need to confirm this. Thanks.

I think that's what I read by EVGA staff on the EVGA forums.

Here's Jacob saying "Yes, shipping cards have new memory thermal pads as well."

I made a post asking for confirmation on the VRM and backplate thermal pads. I'll post here when I get the answer.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

On 2016-11-11 at 6:56 AM, prostrike33 said:

I heard about the EVGA VRM heating issues. Since I was considering going for an evga gtx 1080, this is pretty upsetting. I've heard they are issuing free thermal pads for the fix, and that graphics cards shipped out will now have them installed. But I was wandering if I bought mine around the end of November, will it come with the thermal pad as I'm not confident enough to open up the video card and install it myself 

I'm pretty sure that evga said they would do rma for people that aren't confident in doing the process themselves, I'd hit up evga's customer support and ask them.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

Yes, cards in november would have the thermal pads on it already. 

Still alot of misinformation going on here. Do not think your card is fine just because you think your core is cool enough. In many of these cases the mosfets blew during gaming sessions. The reviewers cards running furmark did not die. It was the user's cards. 

Evga's ceo has already admitted that they "fucked up". Please grab the free thermal pads. Don't put your perfectly fine cards at risk.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

11 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

You should be able to look at the side of the card to see which thermal pads are there, whether backplate and VRM thermal pads are present. You can also inspect whether the VRAM thermal pads are making proper contact this way.

I think that's what I read by EVGA staff on the EVGA forums.

Here's Jacob saying "Yes, shipping cards have new memory thermal pads as well."

I made a post asking for confirmation on the VRM and backplate thermal pads. I'll post here when I get the answer.

Thanks m8

21 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Need help putting the card in? I could use another star. 

woah ur cool, fuckin fagget

22 minutes ago, IsmetUcur said:

woah ur cool, fuckin fagget

I concur.

thx4 the support m8

@Railgun I didn't get a response to my question on the EVGA forums. I'm pretty sure that the VRM and backplate pads will be installed on new EVGA 10XX cards, though, since EVGA is installing them on old cards that people send to them.