The Best Way To Cut Off Callous From Your Heel & Big Toe

Canada EH

I have bought several products but non worked.

I used nail clippers, but the end result was never smooth.

I just used my wifes spring loaded scissors she is using to cut yarn.

I will take another look at the shape of the cutting edge on those ones I used, but if I remember correctly they were straight.

Did a great job on my heel, in very quick time. There were a few bumps but over all it did a great job.

I will be trying out some other "professional" scissors with different shapes, I think curved would be good, but it might go deeper then it should since you need a good feel on the scissors.

Only once did I feel I was going to deep and changed the cutting angle, and it never bled.

What do you guys think? Should I find scissors that have blades that are thin and uniform and straight?

Edit: Looks like this is a very popular thread with 8 views! Every manly man has a problem with callous heels and big toe. I just dealt with it by not dealing with it until today, when I saw the scissors laying on the couch next to me as I was watching the boob tube. I then saw my callous and thought I should give it a whirl.

I would maybe look at stopping the cause, any chance that your footwear is poorly sized or inadequate?  are you wearing thick enough socks? Maybe explore different types of moisturizers too. 

Maybe you need those cushioned shoe insoles.

But really, never try cutting bits of you body yourself, other than nails of course.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

1 hour ago, Newenthusiast said:

footwear is poorly sized or inadequate?  are you wearing thick enough socks? Maybe explore different types of moisturizers too. 

Footwear is properly sized. I wear normal socks. I am a man, I dont do moisturizers, but I will look into it, thanks.

1 hour ago, killcomic said:

Maybe you need those cushioned shoe insoles.

But really, never try cutting bits of you body yourself, other than nails of course.

Yes I have professionally made insoles.

It is dead skin, just like nails. So going by your logic, no one should cut hair as its apart of your body. But all kidding aside.

The callous was a good 1/8" thick at its peak, if not more. The last time I bought a product made for it, a grinder, it did not work one bit and I threw it away and never tried again. The last time I used nail clippers to remove the dead skin was years and years ago, I cant remember so it is easily 8 yrs ago. So you can imagine how built up it was. I will go talk to some beautiful ladies at one of the billion nail spa's and see what they use.

2 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

I am a man, I dont do moisturizers

Don't stress, i don't think anyone will question your sexuality just for trying to fix your foot troubles xD

I am just saying my method works really great. Yes its a bit hard to get the outside edge of the heel if you are overweight or have a bit of a gut. The nail clipper method took a very long time, it would take small pieces off, the scissor method works wonderfully, you can keep taking off the edges in nice long strips, or work the bottom or top and there are very few rough patches where you need to file it down with a callous file. I would say I did 1/2 of one foot in under 5 minutes, but I was being careful not to make a mess on the couch or floor with dead skin, as my wife would have freaked out on my. Plus I was being careful not to go too deep. I think it would be wonderful to get it all off in one uniform piece (which is unrealistic), I always analyze the bigger pieces. Its like palm reading in a way for me.

My wife likes pumice and moisturizing.

Works pretty well.  Or that heel restore stuff for dry/cracked skin if you're not into lavender and vanilla. 

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

you need to thoroughly soak your foot or whatever you're trying to remove the callous from like soak it till it gets pruney (sp) and then a good extremely rough pumice stone will do wonders or if you're cutting away at it the knife or whatever instrument will go through the callous more easily 

@Misanthrope - #1 I aint blindly doing it, I am clearly see'ing with my eyes how deep I am going, along with feeling.

@Aphexx - Well if I do soak it, then it may change the dynamics of the cut. I have never seen a heel get pruny but the extremities sure do.

Walk around barefoot.

I used to have huge callous all over my heels and big toe. Cutting, trimming off and picking at the dry skin never did anything, they always grow back. Most of the time they grew back even bigger. I'm not an expert or anything, but I don't think softening your feet will help or solve the issue. I started walking around the block(on concrete sidewalks 2.2 miles) barefoot every single day and spending a lot of time walking around barefoot outside and around the house. Over about a year my feet have gotten a lot better, they look like normal feet now. My heels are not cracked at all, my big toes is shaped like a standard big toe. Used to be the opposite, with a large lump in the middle outside. Picking at them or wearing thick socks and expensive soles only made them worse, a lot worse believe it or not. The problem with making your feet softer is that it will callus more quickly becasue your feet need to be supportive. Shoes and all that are nice, but ultimately your feet are supporting your body inside whatever socks or shoes you are wearing.

Making my feet tougher by being barefoot all the time at home and exercising is what solved the issue for me. After about a year they changed dramatically. Start off walking a few miles on a soccer field or something.

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

1 minute ago, DutchTexan said:

they always grow back.

Yes they do.

Most of the time they grew back even bigger.

I never paid much attention, but this go around it was pretty big callous.

I don't think softening your feet will help or solve the issue

Neither do I, I dont know why they even mentioned it. I thought maybe they were using a product that required you to soften your skin, which I doubt softens callous.

2 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

I started walking around the block(on concrete sidewalks 2.2 miles) barefoot every single day and spending a lot of time walking around barefoot outside and around the house. Over about a year my feet have gotten a lot better, they look like normal feet now. My heels are not cracked at all, my big toes is shaped like a standard big toe. Used to be the opposite, with a large lump in the middle outside.

Thing with walking around barefoot outside, on concret/asphal are that rocks and glass hurt.

2 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

Picking at them or wearing thick socks and expensive soles only made them worse, a lot worse believe it or not. The problem with making your feet softer is that it will callus more quickly becasue your feet need to be supportive.

Thick socks is never the answer, it means buying bigger shoes. That comment did not make much sense to me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will finish the job, cutting off my callous with the knitting scissors. I find that the fresh pink skin still is hard, but I like it. What will be hard is trying to get the outside edge of the heel. Some cortortions will be on order. But 10 minutes and it will be done. Just got to be careful not going to deep, especially when doing the outside heel edge as I am not the most flexible dude.

3 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Yes they do.

I never paid much attention, but this go around it was pretty big callous.

Neither do I, I dont know why they even mentioned it. I thought maybe they were using a product that required you to soften your skin, which I doubt softens callous.

Thing with walking around barefoot outside, on concret/asphal are that rocks and glass hurt.

Thick socks is never the answer, it means buying bigger shoes. That comment did not make much sense to me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will finish the job, cutting off my callous with the knitting scissors. I find that the fresh pink skin still is hard, but I like it. What will be hard is trying to get the outside edge of the heel. Some cortortions will be on order. But 10 minutes and it will be done. Just got to be careful not going to deep, especially when doing the outside heel edge as I am not the most flexible dude.

Hey if we were meant to wear shoes we would have been born with them. It sounds crazy, but I really isnt too bad walking on concrete. It is relatively smooth, asphalt is worse, but can also be better. You can get one of those egg shaver things, my mom used to use one of those. Cutting and shaving is only a temporary fix though. You have to look at the root of the problem. Why do your feet callous? Why do feet callous in general? Your feet need to be more supportive. 

My solution is permanent, but slow, a lot healthier and easier on your back too.

Just saying, walking on painful surfaces worked for me. You will see negative results, even blood, the first month, but after that you're gravy.

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

They has been scientific study that states that running without shoes is better. I believe that.

However some of us do have flat feet.