Donald Trump Wants Internet Censorship: What's our role?

Magikarpdrowned

Title says it all. He wants to turn America's internet access into a heavily moderated privilege. Do we begin work on some sort of massive VPN system before he takes office? Fund a campaign to educate people on how to use per-existing VPNs, Proxies, etc..? I'm not going to live in a censored country, and I don't think I'm alone on that. We need to get something in place before he gets a chance to.

Just now, Magikarpdrowned said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/09/22/donald-trump-says-america-should-control-the-internet-to-protect/

He wants to prevent America from handing the DNS system over to an international consortium. The quote from his campaign manager says alot about it.

It says fuck all and his reported intentions are the polar opposite of what you are claiming.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

1 minute ago, Urishima said:

It says fuck all and his reported intentions are the polar opposite of what you are claiming.

No, the consortium wants to have a stake in all of this to prevent somebody like Donald Trump from tampering with it. His campaign manager says "there will be no way to make it great again" implying that they plan to change something about it.

3 minutes ago, Magikarpdrowned said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/09/22/donald-trump-says-america-should-control-the-internet-to-protect/

He wants to prevent America from handing the DNS system over to an international consortium. The quote from his campaign manager says alot about it.

Well, i'm wondering how he's going to do that.

The DNS servers are spread all over the world so i don't know how he's going to do that.

If he puts censorship somehow on the DNS servers (if that's even possible) the world would lose its shit.

Also, there is nothing holding us back to create a program that makes the DNS thing decentralized so you have your own list of all the websites. Solves the issue :P

And i can't imagine it's actually very hard to do. I mean things like torrents and P2P downloads look like a good foundation for such thing. And because it's just a bunch of text it's not a lot of data that needs to be going around.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

16 minutes ago, Magikarpdrowned said:

No, the consortium wants to have a stake in all of this to prevent somebody like Donald Trump from tampering with it. His campaign manager says "there will be no way to make it great again" implying that they plan to change something about it.

Are you serious? If I'm thinking of the same thing you are, that's the exact opposite.

The issue is that the consortium will eventually fall into the hands of the UN thanks largely in part to the US's laws regarding anti-trust.

When that happens then the internet falls into hands far worse than trump.

The hands of china and russia. It would be better for the US to keep control as it has, and has been doing a damn fine job; until someone better who can't be controlled by such countries come along.

Period, end of discussion. 

Uninformed and misleading op was uninformed and misleading.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||