Selling broken ultrabook - value? please help

Hello,

The worst happened and my Asus Zenbook UX302LG-C4014H broke on Monday (shut down, didn't turn on again). It had the same issue earlier but warranty was still valid so Asus fixed it for free (changed the motherboard). I bought it for 1500€ (around 1700 USD) when it was released here on January 2014.

I took it to a local PC store where they said it's completely dead, most likely a broken motherboard (again...). The motherboard is hard to find anymore and even if it was replaced the chances are it still wouldn't work / would break later again. Luckily my insurance company will cover part of the damage by paying me the value of the laptop (today's value). So here I am left with the insurance money and a broken ultrabook. The PC store offered to buy the broken machine (guess for the spare parts), the man said he could offer 50€ straight away so there should be some room for negotiation.

Should I sell it? I don't have any use for a broken laptop since it can't be fixed / would cost too much to be worth it. If yes, what do you think about the value of it? Lets assume the motherboard is indeed broken but everything else in it works. Thank you a lot in advance!

- Edea

I sold 6 year old laptop which when was new was low end which had broken GPU for around €40. So I guess €50 for your is not much... maybe something around €80? I sold RAM, Adapter, Laptop, HDD separately.

So buying laptop got some insurance now? I guess warranty wasnt enough
Here in my place, there is no way Insurance Company would cover for laptop :(

49 minutes ago, Edea said:

SNIP

If the motherboard is broken, then you could try to sell the working parts as spare parts. That is what I do when I get in a laptop that a client just gives me, because it costs too much to fix, but don't expect anything special.

The things that often work in the laptops I get is: Keyboard, trakpad, ram and screen, for all of those things I have gotten from 20€ to 140€, depending on how rare the parts are and how many people own such a laptop. Heck 9.5/10 I cannot even sell everything, then I just keep the parts, because I might need them later.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 hours ago, Dackzy said:

If the motherboard is broken, then you could try to sell the working parts as spare parts. That is what I do when I get in a laptop that a client just gives me, because it costs too much to fix, but don't expect anything special.

The things that often work in the laptops I get is: Keyboard, trakpad, ram and screen, for all of those things I have gotten from 20€ to 140€, depending on how rare the parts are and how many people own such a laptop. Heck 9.5/10 I cannot even sell everything, then I just keep the parts, because I might need them later.

4 hours ago, WereCat said:

I sold 6 year old laptop which when was new was low end which had broken GPU for around €40. So I guess €50 for your is not much... maybe something around €80? I sold RAM, Adapter, Laptop, HDD separately.

Thank you for the tips guys. I realised I should keep the working SSD for my desktop so not all would go to 'waste'. They should give their offer for the the laptop (minus the SSD) tomorrow, hoping to squeeze something out of it.

3 hours ago, Yahtadi said:

So buying laptop got some insurance now? I guess warranty wasnt enough
Here in my place, there is no way Insurance Company would cover for laptop :(

I have an insurance covering all my property. My insurance covers the costs when the damage goes over 150€ (that much I'm responsible to pay myself) and in this case it naturally does. Of course the value isn't the original price but the price they would have to pay to get a similar laptop. On top of that they take 25% of the value for the age of the product. Hoping this made some sense.. But yeah, there would be no point in having insurance if it didn't help at all in cases like this.

Why not fix it? :P I mean, get schematics for your laptop from some shady server and start soldering :P

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980