transcode server

JPotze

Hello,

Since i have a lot of videofiles that i cant play on my 4th gen Apple TV i want to transcode the files. ATM i have a synology nas 214 which is not capable of transcoding the files to a format that is compatible with my apple tv. What i want to build is a SFF computer that reads the videofiles from the nas via network and then transcodes the files so i can play them on my apple tv. The software i want to use is Plex pms.

I was looking at the recommended benchmark score for pms and the sites says that it needs 2000 score per 1080 transcode stream. Most of the time i am watching on my own, so one client. thus a processor of 3000 +/- should be more then plenty for 1080. Since the system will read the files from the nas i figured that it doesnt need a big ssd or something.

Can you guys recommend a (cheap) motherboard, cpu combo that could run from maybe a picoPSU or something that is capable of transcoding?

A friendly thank you :)

OK, well no offense intended, and if what I suggest isn't your thing then that's fine :)

But, what I would suggest is getting a device that will play the majority of your files without any transcoding needed. Can I ask what filetype/format the files are that won't play on the appleTV?

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

10 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

OK, well no offense intended, and if what I suggest isn't your thing then that's fine :)

But, what I would suggest is getting a device that will play the majority of your files without any transcoding needed. Can I ask what filetype/format the files are that won't play on the appleTV?

the apple tv doesn't play the container .avi

m4v mp4 mkv end such does he play. some codecs the apple tv doesnt play. 

i use my apple tv for loads of stuff. like games and youtube end i love the remote. i dont see myself switching for this. i rather just buy a transcode machine. you have any suggestions?

2 hours ago, JPotze said:

the apple tv doesn't play the container .avi

m4v mp4 mkv end such does he play. some codecs the apple tv doesnt play. 

i use my apple tv for loads of stuff. like games and youtube end i love the remote. i dont see myself switching for this. i rather just buy a transcode machine. you have any suggestions?

No, I don't bother transcoding, seems like a waste of time and resources to me. I usually just pick/make/recode files that can be played by all the devices I have.

I do have one suggestion though, unless you have too many to bother with.. why not recode the files so the appletv can play them instead? that way you don't have to pay out for new hardware, especially if you have a good GPU, or an intel GPU that can use quicksync to recode the files.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

maybe get adobe media encoder.

i think it can transcode an entire folder of files to a different file format with the same name

it's free to use, you just need creative cloud to use it

if you just want to stream it on the fly maybe get plex

it's designed for movies and tv shows but it might work with home made videos...

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

What reasons would you not just install plex on your personal computer?

Any of the pentium G series would suffice. There are Intel Atoms that would work too that would be low powered and effective. Unless you want to do 4+ 1080p streams at once you shouldn't have to go overkill.

I'm with the OPs plan. As much as I would naturally say 'you shouldnt have bought Apple' :) we live in a world where things come in different formats and things read in different formats, the good thing is they can be transcoded easy enough.

Plex is awesome.

Motherboard really doesnt matter at all so long as it has the connections you need, id just pick whatever combo that has a CPU upwards of 3Ghz and at least dual core and fits your budget. Shouldnt have any problems unless your seriously tight for money.

@JPotze

Create a Plex media server, throw all of your video files on there, download the Plex app on Apple TV, and voila. Plex transcodes your video files on the fly.

COMIC SANS

On 11/9/2016 at 7:01 PM, samiscool51 said:

if you just want to stream it on the fly maybe get plex

it's designed for movies and tv shows but it might work with home made videos...

It does. When setting up a library, there's an option for home videos. The other categories are there to capture metadata for the content.

COMIC SANS

1 hour ago, TopWargamer said:

It does. When setting up a library, there's an option for home videos. The other categories are there to capture metadata for the content.

oh cool, might use that feature..

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!