Keep 780 SC or consider 290x?

ShadyHost

Yes it's another one of those threads. 

My current 780SC clocks really high at 1250mhz on the core and +500 on the memory. I am really happy with it and I am considering adding a second one because I would like to run Battlefield 4 at max settings at 140fps+

I do like the sound of the new 290x but I would imagine that the available is going to be limited and the drivers might be sketchy. 

So, assuming price is no object: Which should I consider?

The 290x which could possibly be optimized for Battlefield 4, or the second 780 assuming that it will have a price drop?

Dude, keep your 780! That is still one beast of a card!

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

If you were choosing between them and you didn't have a 780 i would say go with the 290x but you have a 780 so no real point.

Also the 290x is amazing loud lol. 

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

R9 290x only seems to perform well at higher resolutions like 3 1080p monitors, that would be the only justification

The 290x which could possibly be optimized for Battlefield 4, or the second 780 assuming that it will have a price drop?

Well getting a second 780 because of the price drop would mean that price is a concern :P

If you already have a 780 I don't see any reason to switch to the 290x. Its a great card and will continue to be for some time. If you're dead-set on getting another card just get another 780.

i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz | ASUS STRIX 970 | MSI Z77A-G43 | 16GB Corsair Vengenace 1600Mhz | 128GB/256GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2x 240GB Intel 335 Series | 1TB WD Black | Corsair 650TX | CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced (Ghost White) | Win 10 Pro

Well getting a second 780 because of the price drop would mean that price is a concern :P

If you already have a 780 I don't see any reason to switch to the 290x. Its a great card and will continue to be for some time. If you're dead-set on getting another card just get another 780.

Well I am not concerned about price, but because of a possible price drop why spend more money than I have to?

2x 780SC would be pretty beast but at the same time I am curious about possible driver updates for the 290x post launch. 

780 and 290x are neck and neck just keep the 780 you will not notice the difference

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

The 290x really isnt much faster if at all, if you really have disposable income, CROSSFIRE THAT SHIT!

Keep your 780. Hold down your temps too. 95C for gaming isn't ideal... You gonna bake yourself in your room.

CPU: i5 4670k @ 4.6-4.4 GHz| Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White/Blue) | Motherbord: ASUS Maximus VI Hero|
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB (Red) 1600MHz CL9 GPU: ASUS DirectCU II OC GTX 670 4GB (GTX670-DC2-4GD5) Power Supply: Corsair AX760i
Others: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, WD Green 2TB, 2 Toshiba 500GB, CM TPC 612, Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Stealth Edition, Razer Naga 2013, Razer Electra (oh this is shit...), Razer Moray+ , Razer Goliathus Speed Edition, Audio Technica ATH2500

If your going for higher resolutions, go for the 290x. If not, keep the 780.

PS if you get the 290x I'll happily accept the 780!

Back from the dead....

Yes it's another one of those threads. 

My current 780SC clocks really high at 1250mhz on the core and +500 on the memory. I am really happy with it and I am considering adding a second one because I would like to run Battlefield 4 at max settings at 140fps+

I do like the sound of the new 290x but I would imagine that the available is going to be limited and the drivers might be sketchy. 

Serious questions.  Do you just play BF4 and other similar war games or do you play all sorts of stuff ?  Also do you expect to move to a 4K monitor/tv in the near future ? Finally do you like PhysX ?

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Hey, it's not a 780, it's a 780SC. The 780SC blows away the stock 290X.

I own 780SC SLI and is the fastes think right now. Check this out --> http://goo.gl/WACq9f

Keep your 780. Duh. Still the best 1080p card out there. Might be a little more expensive, but with a price drop just around the corner, I would keep my 780. If I had one of course... 

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

Keep 780 GTX, I love mine.

G4MING RIG - CPU: i7 5930K  Cooling: Custom Loop  MOBO: Asus Rampage V Extreme  GPU: EVGA 980 Ti GTX Classified  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16 GB  SSD: Samsung 840 Pro  PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W Platinum Certified  Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX II  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo  PERIPHERALS: Das Keyboard Ultimate 4, Logitech G502 Proteus Core, Sennheiser G4ME One, B&W MM-1, ROG SWIFT

Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2012CPU: i7 2,7 GHz  GPU: GT 650M,  RAM: 16GB,  SSD: 512GB

Serious questions.  Do you just play BF4 and other similar war games or do you play all sorts of stuff ?  Also do you expect to move to a 4K monitor/tv in the near future ? Finally do you like PhysX ?

Ah yes. I look forward to only playing Battlefield 4. 

Maybe some other games here and there but Battlefield 4 will be my main game.