"CPU Installer" risky?

Flanar

So I bought myself a i7-6700k and Asus Z170a, which came with a "CPU installer", which is basically a plastic where you put your CPU and then put the CPU on the board.

My question is, is it risky to have this plastic left on top of the CPU (that is what Asus' manual has asked me to do). I am worried about it during high temperatures.

1 minute ago, Flanar said:

So I bought myself a i7-6700k and Asus Z170a, which came with a "CPU installer", which is basically a plastic where you put your CPU and then put the CPU on the board.

My question is, is it risky to have this plastic left on top of the CPU (that is what Asus' manual has asked me to do). I am worried about it during high temperatures.

you should probably take it off...

"I take great pride in my humility" -Me

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $1614 ($629 with sales)
  • Games owned: 126
  • Games played: 111 (88%)
  • Hours on record: 3,483.3h

You should not leave anything between the heatsink and CPU, especially plastic.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

What?

Just put the CPU into the socket and lock it in there. There is golden triangle on CPU and golden triangle on the socket so just put CPU triangle where the socket triangle is this way you will know it is positioned correctly.

Then just lock it in with the clamp and there you go.

Leave the plastic lid on the socket there and it will automaticaly pop out when you clamp the CPU.

You dont want to have anything between CPU and your cooler except thermal paste.

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

You should not leave anything between the heatsink and CPU, especially plastic.

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

What?

Just put the CPU into the socket and lock it in there. There is golden triangle on CPU and golden triangle on the socket so just put CPU triangle where the socket triangle is this way you will know it is positioned correctly.

Then just lock it in with the clamp and there you go.

Leave the plastic lid on the socket there and it will automaticaly pop out when you clamp the CPU.

You dont want to have anything between CPU and your cooler except thermal paste.

It is not exactly coming between the heatsink and CPU. I am not THAT silly :P

This video might be give you an idea of what I am talking about:

2 minutes ago, Flanar said:

It is not exactly coming between the heatsink and CPU. I am not THAT silly :P

This video might be give you an idea of what I am talking about:

Oh, if that's what it looks like then there won't be an issue. I was imagining something completely different.

Only part I don't like in that video at least is how he pushes down on the gold contacts with his fingers.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Oh, if that's what it looks like then there won't be an issue. I was imagining something completely different.

Only part I don't like in that video at least is how he pushes down on the gold contacts with his fingers.

Yeah, that made me a little nervous too. I imagine that the his CPU might have become completely useless after that?

Just now, Flanar said:

Yeah, that made me a little nervous too. I imagine that the his CPU might have become completely useless after that?

Not necessarily useless but I believe the skin oils can possibly cause issues, but the bigger worry would be dirt on the hands causing problems. If hands are clean then you should be good to go.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: