GTX 1080 Microstutter While Gaming and Other Issues

PC Specs:

CPU: i7 6700

GFX Card: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 (running using the XTREME Gaming OC software @ recommended OC setting)

Memory: 32GB RAM

Monitor: Asus PG279Q G-Sync 144Hz Monitor

Newly built PC, about 2 months old. 2 weeks ago, I noticed that my games, particularly Overwatch, would microstutter in certain parts of the game. Example of stutter captured HEREThis problem would happen on other games too, just not as often. The problem would also persist on desktop especially right after quitting a game.

Around this time, I also noticed that when playing back videos (like on YouTube) on Chrome, I would see artifacts and patterns at the beginning that would disappear after I pause/play or rewind the video.

I first tried reverting back to the factory core clock settings of my gfx card. It fixed the video artifacts issue, but the microstutter happening in-game still persisted. I also tried rolling back the Nvidia drivers but the same issues are present.

I just deleted the Gigabyte XTREME gaming OC software completely, and also completely uninstalled/re-installed the Nvidia drivers. Will monitor what happens next.

Hope I can get more info on this issue! Hope it's not a hardware problem.

Thanks!

Have you tired to turn down settings?

Also, are you playing a HDD, SSD or M.2?

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

14 minutes ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

Have you tired to turn down settings?

Also, are you playing a HDD, SSD or M.2?

Playing on an SSD. I doubt the graphics settings are an issue. I had a 980Ti before and was playing Overwatch perfectly fine on "Max" settings.

2 minutes ago, Reskiy said:

Playing on an SSD. I doubt the graphics settings are an issue. I had a 980Ti before and was playing Overwatch perfectly fine on "Max" settings.

It seems to be a driver/hardware issue: http://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/07/nvidia-plans-driver-update-to-fix-gtx-1080-stuttering-problems/

5 minutes ago, Reskiy said:

I saw that article as well. If it was addressed back in July though, shouldn't the fix have been implemented by now? :c

It depends on what the problem is.

On 11/6/2016 at 11:26 AM, OddsCrazyStuff said:

It depends on what the problem is.

I was able to borrow a friend's 1080 and the same problem still happens. Micro stuttering/framerate hiccups in-game and HTML5 artifacts in Chrome Browser.

If it's not the GPU, what could it be then?

39 minutes ago, Reskiy said:

I was able to borrow a friend's 1080 and the same problem still happens. Micro stuttering/framerate hiccups in-game and HTML5 artifacts in Chrome Browser.

If it's not the GPU, what could it be then?

"Reportedly, the company's latest software is causing audible crackling and stuttering issues on its GeForce 10 series of chips. "

So you need to ether wait for them to fix the problem or download an older driver.

40 minutes ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

"Reportedly, the company's latest software is causing audible crackling and stuttering issues on its GeForce 10 series of chips. "

So you need to ether wait for them to fix the problem or download an older driver.

That's from an article in July. I built my PC in September and no issues were apparent only until the last week of October. So it can't be a driver problem anymore, I'm afraid.

My cousin was having the same problem with league and bf3 but turning on v-sync fixed it for him... think I'll share that link with him

33 minutes ago, Reskiy said:

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

4 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

My cousin was having the same problem with league and bf3 but turning on v-sync fixed it for him... think I'll share that link with him

I hope it helps! It's apparently an issue with G-Sync and/or monitors with high refresh rate.

5 minutes ago, Reskiy said:

I hope it helps! It's apparently an issue with G-Sync and/or monitors with high refresh rate.

yeah he has a 144 hertz monitor... I kinda have the same problem with an AMD card but that's only in certain games when my fps is well over 144.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)