PSU killing graphics cards?

Hello LTT community!

I need a second opinion from you. Over 2 months ago, I built a gaming PC for a friend of mine. He was on a very strict budget so I tried to get as much performance as possible by spending as much as possible on CPU+GPU. This is the build:

CPU: i5-6500

GPU: Sapphire RX480 4GB Nitro

MOBO: Asrock H110

PSU: Corsair VS450 (450W)

RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4

And kinda cheap SSD,HDD,Case etc.

I know that the VS series from corsair isn't the best, but I figured it would be enough since the system shouldn't draw over 300W at any point, and 34 Amps on the 12V rail should also be enough. GPU wasn't manually OC'd.

About a week ago, after ~2 months of service, the GPU died (suddenly black screen and nothing more). No problem, can happen, he used the Intel graphics until the new card arrived. The new one only worked for one day until it died as well (starting with a few picture errors that rapidly turned into a color pixel mess and then stopped working).

I am not sure if either we are really unlucky and got 2 broken GPUs, or if the PSU is kinda killing off the cards. The rest of the system works fine, he's back with the intel graphics again (and a different PSU I gave him just in case). What do you think? Card or Power Supply? And what should I do now?
The case is cheap but still has enough airflow (2x120mm fans), the cards shouldn't overheat.

Thanks in advance!

I am slowly beginning to have an idea what I'm doing

well, no matter the quality of your power supply, bad units just happen (they just happen significantly more often on crappy makes :P)

if you have some electricity/electronics knowlegde, measure out the power supply, otherwise talk to the retailer you're getting said replacement cards from, or to the retailer you got the power supply from.

The VS series is pretty bad so it definitely could be that.

@Energycore 

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

6 minutes ago, mistermaximal said:

Hello LTT community!

I need a second opinion from you. Over 2 months ago, I built a gaming PC for a friend of mine. He was on a very strict budget so I tried to get as much performance as possible by spending as much as possible on CPU+GPU. This is the build:

CPU: i5-6500

GPU: Sapphire RX480 4GB Nitro

MOBO: Asrock H110

PSU: Corsair VS450 (450W)

RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4

And kinda cheap SSD,HDD,Case etc.

I know that the VS series from corsair isn't the best, but I figured it would be enough since the system shouldn't draw over 300W at any point, and 34 Amps on the 12V rail should also be enough. GPU wasn't manually OC'd.

About a week ago, after ~2 months of service, the GPU died (suddenly black screen and nothing more). No problem, can happen, he used the Intel graphics until the new card arrived. The new one only worked for one day until it died as well (starting with a few picture errors that rapidly turned into a color pixel mess and then stopped working).

I am not sure if either we are really unlucky and got 2 broken GPUs, or if the PSU is kinda killing off the cards. The rest of the system works fine, he's back with the intel graphics again (and a different PSU I gave him just in case). What do you think? Card or Power Supply? And what should I do now?
The case is cheap but still has enough airflow (2x120mm fans), the cards shouldn't overheat.

Thanks in advance!

It is rare for the PSU to be the issue. Have you ensured the GPU drivers area not the issue, or the PCIe slot? That being said, there is always the possibility that the PSU or GPUs were the issue. I'd try the PSU first. Swap it out for one you know works (if you can of course), and try that. If that doesn't help, then it could very well be bad luck, and the GPUs were bad. But I'd put my money on one of other options.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

well, no matter the quality of your power supply, bad units just happen (they just happen significantly more often on crappy makes :P)

if you have some electricity/electronics knowlegde, measure out the power supply, otherwise talk to the retailer you're getting said replacement cards from, or to the retailer you got the power supply from.

I got all that stuff from Amazon :P

I'm just wondering why the rest of the PC is working just fine and stable if the PSU really is faulty. Then again, It's hard to believe that I got 2 faulty GPUs as well. I'm thinking about buying a PSU tester, or maybe looking up if it's possible / how to test PSUs with a multimeter (which I have).

Just now, tarfeef101 said:

(if you can of course)

that's why i usually suggest to ask the retailer, my retailer of choice actually has a (super dodgy) test bench set up, and if you have mysterious failures with product from their store, they'll gladly test it for you.

People often make the mistake and rate the PSU as "not so important" in a Gaming PC.

That a new GPU die withing a Day is very unlikely.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

1 minute ago, mistermaximal said:

I'm just wondering why the rest of the PC is working just fine and stable if the PSU really is faulty

Gpus are usually the highest power draws in a pc, so they end up putting the most strain on the psu, so that's why 

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Did yhe try another PCIe Slot?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

1 minute ago, tarfeef101 said:

It is rare for the PSU to be the issue. Have you ensured the GPU drivers area not the issue, or the PCIe slot? That being said, there is always the possibility that the PSU or GPUs were the issue. I'd try the PSU first. Swap it out for one you know works (if you can of course), and try that. If that doesn't help, then it could very well be bad luck, and the GPUs were bad. But I'd put my money on one of other options.

The drivers where always the latest ones, and it worked for 2 months until the first one died. The second one also worked for a day, so I don't think it is the PCIe slot either. I installed my old PSU which works fine, but at the moment I don't have a working GPU that requires a PCIe power connector to test it.

1 minute ago, Praesi said:

Did yhe try another PCIe Slot?

Cheap mobo, has only one PCIe slot.

The drivers where always the latest ones, and it worked for 2 months until the first one died. The second one also worked for a day, so I don't think it is the PCIe slot either. I installed my old PSU which works fine, but at the moment I don't have a working GPU that requires a PCIe power connector to test it.

I'd follow @manikyath's advice, and try asking a retailer to test it.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

What I think happened is not just the PSU, even though it's still really bad, but a combination of bad PSU (high ripple on it) and bad power delivery from the motherboard to the GPU (because the motherboard is a cheap ass one). A lot of the time, a well built motherboard can help prevent damage due to bad PSU, but a not so good one won't.

Either way I recommend replacing the PSU with a Seasonic S12II, XFX Proseries or TS Bronze, or Corsair CX450M or CX550M, and hopefully you understand why we make such a big deal off it ;)

If after replacing the PSU the GPUs keep dying, perhaps it's the motherboard that's the issue, but i find that unlikely.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

5 minutes ago, Praesi said:

People often make the mistake and rate the PSU as "not so important" in a Gaming PC.

That a new GPU die withing a Day is very unlikely.

I know the inportance of a PSU, but as I said, it was on a very strict budget and I expect even Corsair's VS units to at least not kill other components. Many people use the CX PSUs that are not much better and seem to get along well with them. Also, if the PSU really is faulty, why does it only affect the graphics cards and no other components?

Just now, mistermaximal said:

I know the inportance of a PSU, but as I said, it was on a very strict budget and I expect even Corsair's VS units to at least not kill other components. Many people use the CX PSUs that are not much better and seem to get along well with them. Also, if the PSU really is faulty, why does it only affect the graphics cards and no other components?

Well, as you can see, RX 470 and better PSU would have been a better choice :P

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

My bet would be the MB / PCIe Slot. You have to test it.

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

What I think happened is not just the PSU, even though it's still really bad, but a combination of bad PSU (high ripple on it) and bad power delivery from the motherboard to the GPU (because the motherboard is a cheap ass one). A lot of the time, a well built motherboard can help prevent damage due to bad PSU, but a not so good one won't.

Either way I recommend replacing the PSU with a Seasonic S12II, XFX Proseries or TS Bronze, or Corsair CX450M or CX550M, and hopefully you understand why we make such a big deal off it ;)

If after replacing the PSU the GPUs keep dying, perhaps it's the motherboard that's the issue, but i find that unlikely.

Of course I checked reviews before I bought the PSU, and they all showed very good voltage delivery and ripple suppression. They just use cheap capacitors which may not last for very long, but that shouldn't kill components. But yeah, I think I'll never go down on that price level again ^^

Btw, afaik the CX series isn't a lot better than the VS series but still works very well for most people. That's why I was confident the VS450 would suffice.

7 minutes ago, Praesi said:

My bet would be the MB / PCIe Slot. You have to test it.

Yeah, I have an old HD6670 lying around, I'll pop that one in until I've sorted out the second RMA. If that one dies as well it must be the PCIe Slot ^^

4 minutes ago, mistermaximal said:

Of course I checked reviews before I bought the PSU, and they all showed very good voltage delivery and ripple suppression. They just use cheap capacitors which may not last for very long, but that shouldn't kill components. But yeah, I think I'll never go down on that price level again ^^

Btw, afaik the CX series isn't a lot better than the VS series but still works very well for most people. That's why I was confident the VS450 would suffice.

The new grey sticker CXs are way way better, and much better than the old CXs as well. I recommend one of those. Not the green ones.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler