static stuff

alexander1234

when i start building my new pc can i ground myself by doing the following. put power supply in case screw a motherboard post into the back of it if it fits put anti static thingy on the post. plug power supply into wall and have the wall outlet and power supply turned off. if i do this will i be constanly grounded and not fry my stuff? heres a link to a person doing what i just wrote got to 1:50

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Your fine, static isn't really a huge issue

i still wanna be sure 

5 minutes ago, alexander1234 said:

-SNIP-

You will be grounded.

Even if power was flowing into the PSU, you would be fine, as you arnt attatched to any powered/live wires

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

Just now, UberGamerKing said:

You will be grounded.

Even if power was flowing into the PSU, you would be fine, as you arnt attatched to any powered/live wires

ok but im still not gonna turn on the power 

Yes that will work. You wouldn't specifically need to use a motherboard post though - any bare metal spot on the case or PSU will do.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

Just now, alexander1234 said:

ok but im still not gonna turn on the power 

Its safe to do that, but i was just saying for future reference

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

Just now, Quaker said:

Yes that will work. You wouldn't specifically need to use a motherboard post though - any bare metal spot on the case or PSU will do.

when i screw the psu into the case is the case also grounded?

Yes, of course. :)

You could also just clip the static strap to the PSU, without the PSU being mounted in the case, if it would be in the way during assembly.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

Just now, Quaker said:

ok then the hard part is just finding a surface thats not painted 

4 minutes ago, Quaker said:

You could also just clip the static strap to the PSU, without the PSU being mounted in the case, if it would be in the way during assembly.

but where on the psu also should be plugged into the wall when doing it?

BTW - a couple of things.

That method only works if the PSU is actually plugged into a grounded (3-prong) outlet.

Some static straps come with a pin or other device that allows them to be directly connected to the grounded outlet's ground connection (the central D-shaped hole).

Edit - Yes, the PSU should be connected to the outlet if you connect the strap to it. If you can't find a convenient spot to connect the strap, use one of the mounting screws (or any #6-32 screw you have hanging around.

2 minutes ago, Quaker said:

BTW - a couple of things.

That method only works if the PSU is actually plugged into a grounded (3-prong) outlet.

Some static straps come with a pin or other device that allows them to be directly connected to the grounded outlet's ground connection (the central D-shaped hole).

ok but where on the psu if its painted? also do i have to turn it on?

No, don't turn it on. Screw one of the mounting screws into the PSU's case and use that as a connection point. Or, mount the PSU in the case, etc.

You are really getting too anal about this. Unless you are working in a carpeted area where you regularly get static build-up, you really don't need to worry. :)

2 minutes ago, Quaker said:

No, don't turn it on.

You are really getting too anal about this. Unless you are working in a carpeted area where you regularly get static build-up, you really don't need to worry. :)

okay okay its just its my first time building a pc and it costs 1200 usd so i would rather be safe then sorry

I've built computers on carpet with socks and no regard for anti static practices and it was fine. As long as you're not feeling a jolt as you touch something every time you move you really don't need to worry lol. The only time I've heard people kill their components with static was when they were trying to.

1 minute ago, Brian McKee said:

I've built computers on carpet with socks and no regard for anti static practices and it was fine. As long as you're not feeling a jolt as you touch something every time you move you really don't need to worry lol. The only time I've heard people kill their components with static was when they were trying to.

well i dont have the kind of momey linus has so i just like to be safe :)

3 minutes ago, alexander1234 said:

well i dont have the kind of momey linus has so i just like to be safe :)

Neither do I, but static is not the biggest concern when building imho. Putting everything together properly is much more important, for example don't forget to put standoffs on your motherboard/case then accidentally fry your board... not that I've ever done that >.>

2 hours ago, Brian McKee said:

Neither do I, but static is not the biggest concern when building imho. Putting everything together properly is much more important, for example don't forget to put standoffs on your motherboard/case then accidentally fry your board... not that I've ever done that >.>

What are standoffs? Sorry to just jump in, but I plan on building my first pc as well. Could being grounded be as simple as rubbing your hands on your pant leg? 

Edited by Andrew Waples