ubiquity network related question

Levi Strauss

Hello guys,

I recently moved to austria and i currently live in a house used only by staff members of a company.

Surprisingly, every room has a ubiquity access point (at least mine does for sure), which delivers a solid 25/3mbps. (setup is as seen on picture)

Still for some reason im lagging in rocket league (playing on eu servers only).

I have an Intel ac 7260, so i believe that cant be the problem.(also the ap and the pc are at point blank range)

SKIP HERE FOR THE QUESTION:

Can I disconnect the ap, and use the ethernet connection directly on my pc?

If yes, can it cause any trouble on the network? (also: will the admin see that I changed the connection (prolly yes but still asking))

Bonus question:

Does austria have a strict torrenting/downloading policy as germany?

Thank you everyone, your answers are greatly appreciated!

image-20161102_214934.jpg

If you're still getting lag, it's most likely due to high usage of the network, switching to hardwire can't fix that. You should be able to use the ethernet cable as a hardwire in to the network, but that can change depending on how the network is set up. If you do disconnect the AP, all clients connected to the network via that AP would lose their connection. If they're in range, they may just switch to a different AP. The admin will be able to tell it is disconnected, yes. Whether they notice or not depends if they have any alerts set up for when devices are disconnected and/or whether they check their connected devices or UniFi controller. 

I don't know of any countries (minus some obvious ones) that have any strict policies on torrenting. What some do have is strong laws against piracy. Help with such topics is against forum rules, so I'm not going into that. 

I live in austria.

Yes, no and no.

Nobody cares if you torrent anywhere, just be sure to use a VPN.

You can use the port as a normal ethernet port, but its probably not the wifi thats making your lag, its the internet and stuff that you can't control.

The first step is Do Not Plug The Ethernet Cable Directly Into Your PC.

This'll be using PoE which can damage the device you plug it into if it isnt designed for PoE, (Most things and certainly PCs are NOT)

First, trying opening cmd and pinging the router (Usually 192.168.1.1 but use Fing if you're unsure and pick the first address. Android iOS) If you're getting inconsistent and slow ping times to the router (I get 1.5 ms average on Wifi with Uqbiquiti APs) Then an ethernet cable can help. Otherwise it may be simply some external effect you can't control. Try testing it at 3am or some very low traffic time and see if it's better.

Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz - 16GB DDR4 RAM - 980 ti

pinf results:

less than 1

wow, with fing i just discovered that there are only 12 aps in the house, which means im pretty lucky to have this in my room.

also this means i cant disconnect anyways...

thanks for the help guys

3 minutes ago, Levi Strauss said:

pinf results:

-snip-

Yeah, so even 14 ms is pretty low and wouldnt make for noticable lag in gaming. So a wired connection probably wouldnt even help that much unfortunately.

Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz - 16GB DDR4 RAM - 980 ti

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can use the port as a normal ethernet port, but its probably not the wifi thats making your lag, its the internet and stuff that you can't control.

No - not always. If the network port is VLAN'd with a tagged VLAN and the AP is a demarkation point for that VLAN, he may have no network connectivity.

1 hour ago, spexiono said:

No - not always. A lot of switches these days have auto sensing PoE meaning that depending on what is connected, it will either enable or disable PoE.

10 hours ago, spexiono said:

This'll be using PoE which can damage the device you plug it into if it isnt designed for PoE, (Most things and certainly PCs are NOT)

First, trying opening cmd and pinging the router (Usually 192.168.1.1 but use Fing if you're unsure and pick the first address. Android iOS) If you're getting inconsistent and slow ping times to the router (I get 1.5 ms average on Wifi with Uqbiquiti APs) Then an ethernet cable can help. Otherwise it may be simply some external effect you can't control. Try testing it at 3am or some very low traffic time and see if it's better.

Nah m8 it will be fine, if something like a poe switch doesn't recognise a device that can use poe it wont send poe power, it be part of the standard afaik.

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler