would this work for a gmod server

aries757

It depends on the amount of players, what game mode and how many entities etc.

Not sure what you mean about it working as a console thought?

Yeah it is all command line if that's what you mean? You would most likely use PuTTY for managing it via the command line.

:) 

EDIT:

According to them, you can do the follow to access the live in game server console:

./gmodserver console

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Just now, Bittenfleax said:

Yeah it is all command line if that's what you mean? You would most likely use PuTTY for managing it via the command line.

how owuld i use putty, it would be skill surf for one and dark rp, did i mention it would be 2 servers?

for dark rp it prob have 25 players max 

for skill surf prob 10

MF UH BEANS

1 minute ago, Bittenfleax said:

ive only done this stuff on my own pc using base .bat

MF UH BEANS

1 minute ago, aries757 said:

ive only done this stuff on my own pc using base .bat

Think of PuTTY as a remote way of managing. You can download it from here: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

Think of it as using CMD but for a server over the internet. You would type in the servers IP, and login over a secure connection. You can then send it commands and it will return things. Basically sending it commands from your PC.

There are lots of great videos about using PuTTY.

What hardware are you putting this on?

Or are you getting someone else to host it?

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

most server based applications should have a CLI (command line interface) for CLI only servers, many have support, mainly because it's easier to debug when developing a game or mod and you have more advanced options with some commands

but garys mod server i'm not sure if it has CLI support, valve might of implemented it but i don't know, i don't play the game anymore

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

1 hour ago, Bittenfleax said:

Think of PuTTY as a remote way of managing. You can download it from here: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

Think of it as using CMD but for a server over the internet. You would type in the servers IP, and login over a secure connection. You can then send it commands and it will return things. Basically sending it commands from your PC.

it will be hosted from a custom built server i sent him to build and i gon be SA, i will use cent (linux)

MF UH BEANS

15 hours ago, aries757 said:

it will be hosted from a custom built server i sent him to build and i gon be SA, i will use cent (linux)

Yes, you will use PuTTY to SSH into the server, gaining remote access to the command line that CentOS presents. You can then use the commands such as I said earlier (/gmodserver console) to look at the Gmod console.

Also, why CentOS?

22 hours ago, Bittenfleax said:

5 hours ago, Bittenfleax said:

Yes, you will use PuTTY to SSH into the server, gaining remote access to the command line that CentOS presents. You can then use the commands such as I said earlier (/gmodserver console) to look at the Gmod console.

Also, why CentOS?

not sure if i while use cent, but it says http://prntscr.com/d36clz connection refused or somthing, help pls?

MF UH BEANS

Yes, I believe you need to install it and allow it through the firewall both on CentOS and on the host you are with. You will have to ask them about allowing incoming SSH connection through their firewall.

13 hours ago, Bittenfleax said:

Yes, I believe you need to install it and allow it through the firewall both on CentOS and on the host you are with. You will have to ask them about allowing incoming SSH connection through their firewall.

i decided cause my lack of knowledge i gon use windows, can i still do it?

MF UH BEANS

8 hours ago, aries757 said:

i decided cause my lack of knowledge i gon use windows, can i still do it?

You can still use Windows Server 2012 or something. But you have to buy a license. I would try and learn CentOS. It would be a good learning curve, plus it's free! :) 

On 11/8/2016 at 2:27 AM, Bittenfleax said:

if both ends are using windows, can i use putty? if so how?

MF UH BEANS

It's been such a long time since I've done this but I recall gmod does include RCON support (Remote console support). 

Refer to this website and scroll down to the 'RCON- Remote Administration' Section 

On 11/8/2016 at 2:27 AM, Bittenfleax said:
12 hours ago, FroTo said:

It's been such a long time since I've done this but I recall gmod does include RCON support (Remote console support). 

Refer to this website and scroll down to the 'RCON- Remote Administration' Section 

whats a good software i could use for it? putty when ever iput the port and ip in, it starts up, but i cant do anythin, after a while it sas times out.

MF UH BEANS

59 minutes ago, aries757 said:

None of this stuff is plug and play and requires some learning. You also need to adapt its instructions to your own situation. 

The link I posted mentions a few details about setting up an RCON server to connect to your gmod server running on windows. I may be wrong, but I think gmod - being that it is Source - has the built-in functionality of an RCON server packaged together. So, if that's the case, you only need an RCON client software on your PC to connect to your server. 

Otherwise, if you want to setup your server on a Linux distro or the like, a service called SSH needs to be enabled on your server. 
I am not sure how to do it on centOS, but there are plenty of resources online to show you how. 

Just gotta spend some time doing some research :)

49 minutes ago, FroTo said:

None of this stuff is plug and play and requires some learning. You also need to adapt its instructions to your own situation. 

The link I posted mentions a few details about setting up an RCON server to connect to your gmod server running on windows. I may be wrong, but I think gmod - being that it is Source - has the built-in functionality of an RCON server packaged together. So, if that's the case, you only need an RCON client software on your PC to connect to your server. 

Otherwise, if you want to setup your server on a Linux distro or the like, a service called SSH needs to be enabled on your server. 
I am not sure how to do it on centOS, but there are plenty of resources online to show you how. 

Just gotta spend some time doing some research :)

k i fiound one, hlsw, but i lookin on the website, where do i download the rcon part?

MF UH BEANS

1 minute ago, aries757 said:

k i fiound one, hlsw, but i lookin on the website, where do i download the rcon part?

Well, hlsw is a client software for connecting to RCON enabled servers. Try it out on your server and see if you can connect. You should be at this page.

2 minutes ago, FroTo said:

Well, hlsw is a client software for connecting to RCON enabled servers. Try it out on your server and see if you can connect. You should be at this page.

i askin where i download it, cant find it,

MF UH BEANS

I'm saying your server should have that functionality enabled. Try connecting to it with HLSW. Just make sure your configuration has RCON enabled. 

18 hours ago, FroTo said:

I'm saying your server should have that functionality enabled. Try connecting to it with HLSW. Just make sure your configuration has RCON enabled. 

i have that part setup, i just don't know where i downlkoad the HLSW thing, like i found the website but cant find the exact download.

MF UH BEANS

4 hours ago, aries757 said:

k i got it figured outr, but how do i make it show a console like i do for my .bat 

http://prntscr.com/d8oybc this wut it look like rn

This shouldn't be difficult to figure out.

Above your tabs labeled "Global", "Classic", "Administration", "Help", toggle the icon that looks kind of like a key. That is button to toggle the RCON Section. 

After that, A section below will pop up, allowing you to type in your RCON password and test connection. 

At the very bottom, are a few tabs, one of which is labeled "Console". That is where you type in your commands. 

15 hours ago, FroTo said:

This shouldn't be difficult to figure out.

Above your tabs labeled "Global", "Classic", "Administration", "Help", toggle the icon that looks kind of like a key. That is button to toggle the RCON Section. 

After that, A section below will pop up, allowing you to type in your RCON password and test connection. 

At the very bottom, are a few tabs, one of which is labeled "Console". That is where you type in your commands. 

how can i view the chat? when i hit the thing to hit it a few things in my dev console pop up (rcon from 47.200.7.246:1024 command logaddress_del and logaddress add 47.200.7.246:7138

MF UH BEANS