HELP i5 4590 vs 6400 with stock coolers for rendering and gaming?

Go to solution Solved by jj9987,
7 minutes ago, DoFishThinkCrabsCantFly said:

Will the stock cooler and the tiny space affect the 4590's longevity? Does the 6400 make up for these problems with it's much lower TDP?

Not something you should worry about.

Do take note, that Skylake platform gives you much better choices in terms of upgradeability.

Looking at http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/ results, the performance difference is negligible - I kinda doubt you will notice it.

So I made two different builds with only like 7usd difference in price and I'm trying to decide which one to finally buy. One has the i5-4590 the other the i5-6400 for CPU, same gpu (1060 3gb), but both are mini-ITX with only 2 case coolers on and stock CPU coolers. Now that's the first problem, the second is that I would use these for 3D rendering and sometimes gaming(only 1080p). 3D rendering certainly means 100% load on CPU for hours without a pause.

I am 99% sure I won't buy a stock cooler, as I want best price/performance and we have terrible prices here.

So which one should I go with? Will the stock cooler and the tiny space affect the 4590's longevity? Does the 6400 make up for these problems with it's much lower TDP?

I'd much rather go with the 4590 because it has much better performance in benchmarks (right?) but I'm afraid because of these problems...

4590 will be better for you. And honestly if you go used you will have even further savings. I wouldn't worry about the heat differences between the two. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

7 minutes ago, DoFishThinkCrabsCantFly said:

Will the stock cooler and the tiny space affect the 4590's longevity? Does the 6400 make up for these problems with it's much lower TDP?

Not something you should worry about.

Do take note, that Skylake platform gives you much better choices in terms of upgradeability.

Looking at http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/ results, the performance difference is negligible - I kinda doubt you will notice it.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Depends on the case tbh. If the case is a really small, tight case it should be fine because there isn't a lot of extra space for heat to sit in, and the smaller empty area is easier to cool then a larger case with ATX because there is more empty room. As for CPU cooler, I would go with the Corsair H100i V2, its a closed loop water cooler, and should help with keeping the heat down directly on the CPU or Corsair H75 if your case can't fit the H100i.

Thanks! All of you told me something useful! I'll go with the 4590 (though I can't buy used) even if it has bad upgradability. I won't buy another PC for at least 4 yrs after this (that is if it something doesn't go kaputt before that) and hopefully a lot will have changed by then.