Google and MicroSoft butt heads again over disclosing seccurity vulnerability

zMeul
7 minutes ago, OptimisticRealist said:

It is Microsoft, use modern logos FFS, or have you not known about Apple's first logo????

apple?! why the fuck should I care for apple?!

20 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Microsoft says in a statement that the security issue reported by Google was actually already fixed for Windows 10 Anniversary Update users.

Neowin says:

So it looks like other Windows users need to update Flash plug-in, or wait until Microsoft to get around to try and patch the exploit around Flash.

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-responds-to-google-releasing-security-vulnerability-will-patch-it-next-week

Huh, is that why my Firefox has been complaining that my version of Flash is bad as of last night?

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Huh, is that why my Firefox has been complaining that my version of Flash is bad as of last night?

FireFox does it's own checking for the Flash plugin

7 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Firefox does its own checking, if you don't have the latest version of Flash, it blocks it (well you can override it, but yea).

But the days of plugin support are numbered.

Already, Mozilla and Google announced that they will phase out plugin support (already deprecated).

Edge already doesn't support plug-ins except for Flash.

Plugins has always been a big security risk. And now with the evolution of web standards (Not to mention, it has proper support. Whereas Flash never really got updated since Adobe acquisition of Macromedia back in 2005... very sad for a language that was growing at super rapid rate with immense improvement version after version). But that is a continuous problem with plug-ins, not helped that they are all closed sourced.

20 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Already, Mozilla and Google announced that they will phase out plugin support (already deprecated).

Edge already doesn't support plug-ins except for Flash.

I really hope they wont be hasty about that, it will be a real nightmare to use browsers without adblock and/or noscript...

On 11/1/2016 at 8:57 AM, Lurick said:

What's funny is there was another article about how Google hid a vulnerability in Apple products for several months to give Apple enough time to fix it.

they asked microsoft to EITHER ACKNOWLEDGE or fix it which apple probably acknowledged it

19 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

if Microsoft knows there's an issue, I can count on them to try and fix it. If Google knows there's an issue with one of their services, I can count on them to fix it.

There's no need to have such a big dramatic situation. they can work on a fix without starting world war 3.

Jesus. People these days.........

all microsoft needs to say is ok we know but instead they either ignored the problem or denied it

22 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Microsoft says in a statement that the security issue reported by Google was actually already fixed for Windows 10 Anniversary Update users.

Neowin says:

So it looks like other Windows users need to update Flash plug-in, or wait until Microsoft to get around to try and patch the exploit around Flash.

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-responds-to-google-releasing-security-vulnerability-will-patch-it-next-week

or disable flash like everyone should be doing.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

I really hope they wont be hasty about that, it will be a real nightmare to use browsers without adblock and/or noscript...

I wouldn't worry someone will just grab either and add the code back In. Chromium and Firefox are both open source.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Plugins and addons/extensions are two different things.

They are getting rid of plugins, not addons. So you will still be able to use adblock, noscript, downthemall and so on. What you won't be able to use are things like Flash (will probably add an exception for that), Java, the stupid Office plugin which you can not disable or remove, the stupid Nvidia 3D vision plugin and so on.