Bad card or bad drivers?

DELTAprime

Every night for that last 3 nights my screen has gone black with a no signal message and my GPU fans have gone to 100%. I have to hold the power button to restart the computer. I've looked on Google and lots of people have had the same issue and everyone seems to get the answer right away "bad card" or sometimes "bad PSU". Before I start going jumping through RMA hoops I want to find out could it be the newest Nvidia drivers? I installed them about 4 or 5 hours before this started happening and I've tried to roll them back but have had difficulty. Any thoughts? Specs in sig.

Edit, nothing in the PC is more than 12 months old.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

Use DDU (display driver uninstaller) to remove the current Nvidia drivers, and roll back to an old version. Maybe something stable. 

idk

Roll back drivers then. There where some issues for other cards taht could be caused by drivers.

You have oced it?

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

Just now, Gonio said:

You have oced it?

Just factory OC, which with boost clock goes up to 2050mhz.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

If you installed the latest Nvidia driver that may be the problem

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

I'm downloading that DDU tool and a couple of version old drivers. Hope that helps.

Well that didn't work, time to try and rule out the PSU. Hope a temporary 500w PSU is enough for this card.

Was about to make a thread, am having this exact same issue with an EVGA FTW DT I just got, first time it happened the fans didn't go to 100% but I think they were in no spin mode because I wasn't doing much, today I was gaming though and suddenly screens off and fans 100%

Will try the driver thing too, but it didn't work for you?

500w should be enough yeah. Sad to hear the driver roll back didn't work. Try the card in another system and see if it has same results. if needed to install drivers try some odler first then :)

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

I've had my card do something similar to that, are your power connectors properly seated in your GPU? that would be where I checked first.

13 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

I've had my card do something similar to that, are your power connectors properly seated in your GPU? that would be where I checked first.

Well it may turn out to be something similar to that. When I went to put my old 500w PSU in for testing I found the 24pin ATX power cable was just resting in the socket because the mobo side of the clip mechanism seems weak. I've put it back in and so far 3 hours of using the system with no problems. Fingers crossed that is the issue and not something I'll have to RMA for.

8 hours ago, DELTAprime said:

Well it may turn out to be something similar to that. When I went to put my old 500w PSU in for testing I found the 24pin ATX power cable was just resting in the socket because the mobo side of the clip mechanism seems weak. I've put it back in and so far 3 hours of using the system with no problems. Fingers crossed that is the issue and not something I'll have to RMA for.

Whenever something goes wrong with my computer, I always try to assume that a cord is loose.

Did that fix it for you Delta? I tried reinstalling drivers yesterday and just had it happen again, opened up my PC and tried your take out the motherboard power connector and replug it in thing because I did have trouble getting it in when I built my PC and wasn't sure if it was in properly, so hopefully it is now.

Unfortunately after doing that the first time I booted up my PC it booted to a black screen with a white line across it, restarted and it seems to have booted up find the 2nd try. This doesn't seem like it bodes well.

Okay it just happened again less than 30 minutes after it happened the last time, which is the first time it's happened more than once in a day. This time I had a youtube video open and it kept playing, I was even able to pause and replay it by clicking on where the video would be so it seems it's just the displays that go black, and video card fans to 100% but everything else keeps running.

9 hours ago, Anakso said:

Okay it just happened again less than 30 minutes after it happened the last time, which is the first time it's happened more than once in a day. This time I had a youtube video open and it kept playing, I was even able to pause and replay it by clicking on where the video would be so it seems it's just the displays that go black, and video card fans to 100% but everything else keeps running.

Dunno, maybe try reseating all your power cables? I haven't had any issue for the last 24 hours or so. If anything changes I'll update you, but I'm feeling confident enough to put the sides back on my case.

10 hours ago, DELTAprime said:

Dunno, maybe try reseating all your power cables? I haven't had any issue for the last 24 hours or so. If anything changes I'll update you, but I'm feeling confident enough to put the sides back on my case.

Just put on NCIXs new video which includes the news of EVGA 10 series cards over heating and some even catching fire apparently. So that might be it but you didn't have an EVGA card so I'm not sure. They have released a bios update to fix it so I'll try that and hopefully that fixes it.

I'm not sure though what counts as overheating for graphics cards? Been monitoring the temperature with CPUID HWMonitor and it's mostly between 55-70 degrees celcius, with the highest I've seen it be 82. Right now as I type this it's at 60.

It's bit high but nothing serious. Wasn't there also a problem a while back with certain displayport connections? Not sure about that. As for this problem I don't think it's the EVGA issue ( what is easily solved by the thermal pads and possible bios update).

Would still look at drivers.

Did you DDU the drivers and then did a fresh install?

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list