Problems with my Xeon X5677, motherboard, and memory

Jeno

This seems like the best place to ask.

Recently, I bought an X5677 with the intent of upgrading from my old i7 920. However, when I try to boot, the motherboard gives a b8 error, and goes no further. This is with all three of my RAM slots filled. If there are one or more empty slots, it enters a loop, which is different depending on how many slots are filled. With one slot, the loop is b8-02-EA-01. If two are occupied, the loop becomes 00-E8-02-b9.

(Forgot to mention, the motherboard is a Foxconn FlamingBlade x58.)

I've inspected the chip itself and there are is no apparent damage, and the machine boots just fine with the old i7.

I've been Googling for days with absolutely zero luck, so this is my last attempt at trying to get this chip to work. If anyone has any advice, I'll be eternally grateful.

I assume you're referring to the socket pins? Those are fine, yes. And all three of my stick work in any combination while using the i7.

I've read that the b9 loop I found myself in might have something to do with the memory controller. Anyone have any ideas?

6 hours ago, Jeno said:

This seems like the best place to ask.

Recently, I bought an X5677 with the intent of upgrading from my old i7 920. However, when I try to boot, the motherboard gives a b8 error, and goes no further. This is with all three of my RAM slots filled. If there are one or more empty slots, it enters a loop, which is different depending on how many slots are filled. With one slot, the loop is b8-02-EA-01. If two are occupied, the loop becomes 00-E8-02-b9.

(Forgot to mention, the motherboard is a Foxconn FlamingBlade x58.)

I've inspected the chip itself and there are is no apparent damage, and the machine boots just fine with the old i7.

I've been Googling for days with absolutely zero luck, so this is my last attempt at trying to get this chip to work. If anyone has any advice, I'll be eternally grateful.

Try update the bios. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Yep, BIOS update did the trick. The downside is that the machine spits out an A1 error, so I have to clear the CMOS in order to boot to Windows. Apparently this has been a problem with this BIOS version since it was released.

Oh well, no over clocking for me, since I can't save any changes to the BIOS.