Laptop for Software Engineering

Remixt
Go to solution Solved by gtx1060=value,

ok, so... thinkpads are generally the best laptop for programming - i don't know about you, but thinkpads are just amazing - i've used them since the late 1900's and haven't switched since then. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G41G0525&cm_re=thinkpad-_-0EJ-001J-00091-_-Product

only one with dedicated gpu under 2 grand i could fin - but really, get a thinkpad if you're a programmer - it's a status symbol - just get a damn thinkpad

I'm entering my final year of school and I've been getting hit with bigger and bigger projects. I have a great computer at home, but I've been stuck with developing on a measly 5 year old laptop with a 30 minute battery life while not at home.  In January I'm going to buy a laptop, but I've been out of the mobile game for awhile now and I'm not up to date on the brands/specs for this generation.

Aim: 

• 6 + hour battery life with a medium load. (Internet browser with a few tabs open and an IDE such as Visual Studio running)
  • 1080p minimum resolution
  • Prefer a 15 inch screen. 18 inches max, 12 inches min
  • Core i-7 skylake or kabylake 
  • Solid State Drive with at least 250 gb capacity
  • Good keyboard. (prefer mechanical, but that's hard for a laptop)
  • Prefer GTX 1060 + graphics, not a deal breaker if its something slightly lower
  • At least 2 USB 3.0 ports
  • Minimum 16Gb of Ram, prefer 32gb
  • Very unlikely to consider a Mac
  • Solid build with a premium feel. (no plastic hollow feeling stuff)

Budget:

Soft $2,000, meaning I could go a little higher (for tax or bang for the buck feature). If you can meet every one of the above specs for less then that's what I prefer.

Don't squeeze everything you can into the $2000 just because you haven't hit the cap is what I mean.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

Latitude E7470.  Laptop GPU's are always going to suck due to the inherent design problems associated with laptops and their thermal constraints.

Make sure you get a Dell proprietary docking station for those 2 external LCDs you'll want to attach.  

XPS is Dell's 'consumer' level line.  Wouldn't consider it for serious use.

3 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

XPS is Dell's 'consumer' level line.  Wouldn't consider it for serious use.

Prosumers,

Also you be surprised how many business are starting to use them (especially sales people, looks good)

Thanks for the suggestions fellas.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

1 hour ago, UMxMarky94 said:

hmmm, depending on your programs i would suggest from the dell line a precision, but they only come with either a Firepro or Quadro.

you can config them as well so I link it. 

http://www.dell.com/uk/business/p/precision-m7710-workstation/pd?oc=xctop7710emea&ref=PD_OC#overrides=xctop7710emea:146~I76920;3~16G4EC

I think the development level graphics cards make that a little less desirable price wise.

ok, so... thinkpads are generally the best laptop for programming - i don't know about you, but thinkpads are just amazing - i've used them since the late 1900's and haven't switched since then. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G41G0525&cm_re=thinkpad-_-0EJ-001J-00091-_-Product

only one with dedicated gpu under 2 grand i could fin - but really, get a thinkpad if you're a programmer - it's a status symbol - just get a damn thinkpad