Question about gaming audio.

WowMuchName
Go to solution Solved by kol,
1 hour ago, WowMuchName said:

well, I use Dolby 7.1 now, but it is echoey, and my headset quality isn't great. so I know that if the audio is correctly engineered, it turns out like virtual barber shop, but what I'm asking is can most games give me that, without some kind virtualization.

So you want the sound to be the same way as The Virtual Barber shop? If so select Headphone in the audio options of the game. If the game doesn't have that option select either "2 Speakers or Stereo" and turn off any virtual surround sound that maybe on.

So I know that no virtual surround is needed if the audio is engineered correctly, but are most games good to just launch and play? And what about like bf4, where you have "Headphone" and virtual surround mode, hifi, ect... what's best?

Well if you are wearing headphones usually the "Headphone" option is best and if you have multiple speakers you select either 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. Virtual surround sound I don't even know why it exists because it makes things worse really.

2 hours ago, kol said:

Well if you are wearing headphones usually the "Headphone" option is best and if you have multiple speakers you select either 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. Virtual surround sound I don't even know why it exists because it makes things worse really.

worse?

subjective much but there is clear difference between them all

well, I use Dolby 7.1 now, but it is echoey, and my headset quality isn't great. so I know that if the audio is correctly engineered, it turns out like virtual barber shop, but what I'm asking is can most games give me that, without some kind virtualization.

1 hour ago, WowMuchName said:

So you want the sound to be the same way as The Virtual Barber shop? If so select Headphone in the audio options of the game. If the game doesn't have that option select either "2 Speakers or Stereo" and turn off any virtual surround sound that maybe on.

I know of no solution that gets close to the virtual barbershop, it uses binaural cues that you don't find in sound cards today. The best solution remains 5.1 in Windows with appropriate game mode and SBX pro enabled. I would love for us to have genuine binaural input but its going to require a massive change in sound APIs back to the way they were in the 2000s.

On 11/1/2016 at 5:26 AM, BrightCandle said:

I know of no solution that gets close to the virtual barbershop, it uses binaural cues that you don't find in sound cards today. The best solution remains 5.1 in Windows with appropriate game mode and SBX pro enabled. I would love for us to have genuine binaural input but its going to require a massive change in sound APIs back to the way they were in the 2000s.

Okay, thanks for the info