Does two Monitors hurt the GPU?

Carter29

Hi,

I was wondering if two monitors hurts your gpu overtime? Also does it affect gaming performance? 

Thanks!

Baby don't hurt me no more

Wait. What do you mean by that. No it should not and yes it does affect gaming performance negatively because of 2 monitors instead of 1. What gpu are we talking about. Generally you put more power to the gpu to handle and could potentially degrade it

If you only use one for gaming then no, having one monitor for the game and the other just sitting there will not hurt it. If it does its like maybe 1 fps or something small. No worries! Add a monitor! :D

I just run one monitor off the GPU and the other off the inbuilt graphics (only use for web, word, etc).

Don't make fun of me for this, but I'm using a Radeon x1300/x1550 GPU. The card itself isn't ten years old when I got it. The driver is from 2010. So it is an old card.

What do I mean by hurting it? Well I mean the lifetime of the card I want it to last as much as it can. I don't have money for a new card right now. 

As long as you don't do graphically demanding stuff on the second screen it's overall no prob and only a marginall performance impact.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

It won't degrade the card. 

that's what video cards are for

to display video

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

Will it overwork the GPU having two monitors? The actual chip inside?

1 minute ago, Carter29 said:

Will it overwork the GPU having two monitors? The actual chip inside?

No. And I want to know where did you get that idea :P

This is a signature.

No, it doesn't hurt it. 

It will take more resources to run a second display so there may be more power draw during idle and your gaming performance might take a small but negligible hit. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.