Liquid Cooling Is Confusing

I am getting within 3weeks away from purchasing my first build and would like to know what Liquid cooling really does.

First off, in big systems such as Jayz2cents', how on earth does liquid flowing through rubber/plastic tubing cool the system? If anything the water'd be boiling, right?

Now for the concept of CPU and GPU liquid cooling. If I buy a liquid CPU cooler, do I need one of those reservoirs that hold the liquid in a big tube that you refill? Do I need to buy the liquid? Is it simple to configure and setup?

In the end I would like to know if it is really worth it, especially for a first time builder... I will be gaming, recording, editing and am not sure if I would be benefitting from a liquid cooler over a fan. 

Thanks <3

If you want it to look good and overclock well its worth it.

Main system:

i7 6700k @4.8ghz 1.45v

ROG Maximus Hero VIII

Gigabyte G1 980ti Sli @1500 ghz

Samsung 950 pro 512gb

16gb G.Skill Ripjawz V @3400mhz 

Corsair H115i 280mm AIO

Corsair 400c Case

Corsair RM1000i

Backup/Older/Toys:

Intel i3 6100 @4.6ghz 1.52v

Asrock B150M Pro4/Hyper

Intel 750 series 400gb

Radeon Rx 470 XFX

Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm AIO 

inWin 303 case

AMD Phenom II x4 940 @3.9ghz 1.65v

Gigabyte 780g mobo

Corsair H100 240mm AIO

Corsair Dominiator 8gb DDR2 @1066

Evga GTX 750ti FTW @1450mhz

Thermaltake Matrix case (modded)

"The best way to look stylish on a budget is to try second-hand, bargain hunting, and vintage" 

Just now, RS2007GOD said:

If you want it to look good and overclock well its worth it.

Can you explain the process and the materials needed? Is it as simple as installing the water cooler and being done or is there higher maintenance ect?

Just now, BlakeThePCScrub said:

Can you explain the process and the materials needed? Is it as simple as installing the water cooler and being done or is there higher maintenance ect?

If you want basic cpu liquid cooling you can get a aio like the corsair h100i v2 which is basic bolt in and forget no matenence apart from dust 

Main system:

i7 6700k @4.8ghz 1.45v

ROG Maximus Hero VIII

Samsung 950 pro 512gb

Corsair H115i 280mm AIO

Corsair 400c Case

Corsair RM1000i

Backup/Older/Toys:

Asrock B150M Pro4/Hyper

Intel 750 series 400gb

Radeon Rx 470 XFX

inWin 303 case

Gigabyte 780g mobo

Corsair H100 240mm AIO

"The best way to look stylish on a budget is to try second-hand, bargain hunting, and vintage" 

Just now, RS2007GOD said:

If you want basic cpu liquid cooling you can get a aio like the corsair h100i v2 which is basic bolt in and forget no matenence apart from dust 

is https://www.mwave.com.au/product/deepcool-gamer-storm-captain-120ex-aio-liquid-cpu-cooler-ab81515 easy enough to install ? I would go with water cooling if I understood it's easy to install. So does the radiator (i think its called that) hold the water that doesn't need to be replenished? 

1 minute ago, BlakeThePCScrub said:

is https://www.mwave.com.au/product/deepcool-gamer-storm-captain-120ex-aio-liquid-cpu-cooler-ab81515 easy enough to install ? I would go with water cooling if I understood it's easy to install. So does the radiator (i think its called that) hold the water that doesn't need to be replenished? 

Yes that is what people call a Aio ot all-in-one. They are easy to install just mount to the cpu, power it with what ever is needed. Mount the radiater/fan to the case and your set. No need to add water and its actualy not possible. Designed not to need matenence. They basicly last a few years then replace them. Id suggest 240mm atleast as the 120mm aios are often not great and can be out performed by a good air cooler.

Main system:

i7 6700k @4.8ghz 1.45v

ROG Maximus Hero VIII

Samsung 950 pro 512gb

Corsair H115i 280mm AIO

Corsair 400c Case

Corsair RM1000i

Backup/Older/Toys:

Asrock B150M Pro4/Hyper

Intel 750 series 400gb

Radeon Rx 470 XFX

inWin 303 case

Gigabyte 780g mobo

Corsair H100 240mm AIO

An AIO cooler (ex: H100i) includes everything you need, but a custom loop requires everything listed in this video.

The water is cooled as it flows through the radiator so nothing is "boiling".

8 minutes ago, BlakeThePCScrub said:

Looks like a basic enough AIO.  It should come with instructions that tell you how to install it based on whatever socket/CPU you have. 

I think AIOs are worth it for most people especially if you are overclocking to be doing more intensive tasks like editing and so on.  I would get your own fans for the radiator as most that come with AIOs are not too great.  Noctua makes some good radiator fans but there are others out there.  Just make sure whatever fans you get for your radiator are optimized for static pressure.

5 minutes ago, BlakeThePCScrub said:

That one would work but it's probably not the best for a single 120mm radiator, look on PCPartPicker for reviews. The H100i is great if you can afford it.

The radiator only cools the water as it flows through with the fans. In an AIO loop (all in one), there's no reservoir, but instead the loop is pre-filled with the exact amount of liquid needed. All you need to do is mount the CPU block to your motherboard and mount the radiator + fans to your case. 

17 minutes ago, BlakeThePCScrub said:

In the end I would like to know if it is really worth it, especially for a first time builder... I will be gaming, recording, editing and am not sure if I would be benefitting from a liquid cooler over a fan.

Is it worth it? Short and simple answer, no. Unless you go for the very top end stuff, air cooling gives you same cooling performance for less money and with less noise.

first build? don't do it. Only need liquid cooling on the very highest power CPUs; which cost a lot of money.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Unless your PC places in high ambient temperature, or you want to overclock close to the max of a K processor. Then water cooling might help.

On the other hand, if your build has a i3 or non-K i5, i7 processor, a medium-sized air cooler like Noctua NH-D9L will be more than enough.

11 hours ago, BlakeThePCScrub said:

I am getting within 3weeks away from purchasing my first build and would like to know what Liquid cooling really does.

First off, in big systems such as Jayz2cents', how on earth does liquid flowing through rubber/plastic tubing cool the system? If anything the water'd be boiling, right?

Now for the concept of CPU and GPU liquid cooling. If I buy a liquid CPU cooler, do I need one of those reservoirs that hold the liquid in a big tube that you refill? Do I need to buy the liquid? Is it simple to configure and setup?

Thanks <3

Liquid cooling Works by moved heat energy from the hardware to a fluid, that circulates to a radiator where the heat is "Exhausted" out of the case.

Jayz2Cents and every other watercooled build has a radiator somewhere in the case with fans blowing air through it.
This is how the liquid is cooled.

If you make a custom loop then you will need a reservior.
Here is what you will need in very rough terms. (Custom is expensive to get started)
Pump
Reservior
Radiator
Fittings
Tubing
Coolant (Liquid)
Fans

CPU Block

If this is your first build I would NOT recommend you do a custom loop.
Instead get an "All In One" cooler also known as an AIO.
These have great performance and include everything listed above.

For a first build, custom is not worth it, use the Money for a better GPU or case.
Higher end GPUs have low noise settings and will even stop the fans when they are not needed.
And you can typically change the fans on AIOs for a Little added performance.

7 minutes ago, PocketzDK said:

Liquid cooling Works by moved heat energy from the hardware to a fluid, that circulates to a radiator where the heat is "Exhausted" out of the case.

Jayz2Cents and every other watercooled build has a radiator somewhere in the case with fans blowing air through it.

Here is what you will need in very rough terms. (Custom is expensive to get started)
Pump
Reservior
Radiator
Fittings
Tubing
Coolant (Liquid)
Fans

CPU Block

For a first build, custom is not worth it, use the Money for a better GPU or case.
Higher end GPUs have low noise settings and will even stop the fans when they are not needed.

This is correct.

I would say learn to build a few systems first before you attempt to tackle a full system build. You also need to do loop maintenance on custom loops every once in a while.

CPU: I7 5960X @4612 MHZ/1.325Vcore | Cooler: Full custom loop | Mobo: Asus X-99A | GPU: 2 EVGA 980 TI Classifieds | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GBs 3200 MHZ | Storage: Samsung SM951 512 GB M.2 Drive, Mushkin Eco2 512 GB SSD, Muskin Chronos 480 GB SSD | PSU: Corsair HX 1000i | Case: Fractal define R5 | Monitor: LG 34UC87M-B

How it works is you have coolant that travels in tubing to different components. The waterblock is a component that sits on the stuff you want to cool for example you would have a cpu waterblock that would transfer the heat from cpu to coolant then that coolant travels through the loop with the help of a pump wich moves the fluid and in order for the pump to not run dry (having a pump run with no fluid can easily kill it) you have a resivoir which is a big tube filled with koolant. Now the radiator is like a rad in your car. 

It has hot fluid going into and with help of fans the fluid comes out cold. 

So this is the cycle. 

Fluid sits in resovoir then goes into pump moving the flyid. It passes on top of waterblock and takes off heat it then goes through radiator to cool down and then back to resovoir. 

37 minutes ago, PocketzDK said:

Pump
Reservior
Radiator
Fittings
Tubing
Coolant (Liquid)
Fans

CPU Block

I would reccomend getting one if the ekwb kits. Theyre basically components put into a box with manuals and sold as kit. These are brilliant as it takes the guesswork of picking parts out of it abd they work flawlessly 

48 minutes ago, Napalm360 said:

I would reccomend getting one if the ekwb kits. Theyre basically components put into a box with manuals and sold as kit. These are brilliant as it takes the guesswork of picking parts out of it abd they work flawlessly 

I would argue that there are too many variables in making your own loop, for a first time builder. Even if it is a kit.
Tubing length, leak testing and loop runs to name a few. Better to get similar performance, with non of the hassle by buying an AIO.