Alright, so this is my first time posting, let me know if there's a better place to ask this question. I have a laptop which i bought used, it had a bios password set, didn't realize I needed a UEFI partition in my boot sector so in order to enable legacy boot mode, I shorted the EEPROM for a second, got into the bios, set my boot order and restarted, mission accomplished. A month later I'm trying to load an OS through usb and need to change boot order again so as I repeat my steps I hold my screw driver on the chip too long and short it out. Right now I get a power button light, charging indicator light and front power light, no fan and no screen. Does this sound like I need to check for other motherboard damage or can I just buy a new bios chip and solder it on? Thanks in advance.

Edit: apparently I posted once before, sue me 

There is usually a key to press when the bios splashscreen appears so aren't shorting things out on the board to access the bios. Sounds like you could have killed the bios chip, if it has really small contacts the odds of soldering it correctly are very slim withought the proper tools.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 minute ago, SLAYR said:

There is usually a key to press when the bios splashscreen appears so aren't shorting things out on the board to access the bios. Sounds like you could have killed the bios chip, if it has really small contacts the odds of soldering it correctly are very slim withought the proper tools.

I think you misunderstand, I'm fairly versed in computer hardware. On this laptop there's actually a dedicated button to boot into the bios, I wouldn't be shorting things unless it was necessary. Shorting a bios chip is a common workaround to a bios password. I also know how to solder. I am also aware of what happened to the chip, if you reread then you can see I'm asking about further damage to my board. Sorry if i sound harsh but your post didn't contribute much to the conversation that wasn't already obvious. As I'm writing this i'm realizing that some people might not know about the splash screen so thank you for your input but I don't think they'd be able to figure out which chip and pins to short anyway, let alone know that chip exists in the first place.