What are some laptop uses?

Maihym

So for someone that owns a good desktop and a good laptop, what are some uses for both? Is there anything that you can use a laptop for to increase productivity or power to your main rig? Or what useful things can you use both at the same time for?

Well my laptop is used for work so that's it's main use for me. Desktop is for gaming and everything non work related. Don't normally use them both at the same time

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

1 minute ago, Maihym said:

So for someone that owns a good desktop and a good laptop, what are some uses for both? Is there anything that you can use a laptop for to increase productivity or power to your main rig? Or what useful things can you use both at the same time for?

I don't think you can assist power to your main rig. It's used for portability and just plain convenience.

I have both a laptop and a desktop.

I use my desktop for gaming and my laptop for basically everything else. When I'm gaming I have my laptop on my desk with the forums/a bunch of tabs open, work open, skype/steam/messages, videos, itunes, etc... I tend to do most things (other than gaming) on my laptop so I can easily get up from my desk and sit on the couch or lie in bed without having to transition everything to my laptop. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Are there any programs that I can get that would help me with something such as coding on both machines? Something live.

1 minute ago, Maihym said:

Are there any programs that I can get that would help me with something such as coding on both machines? Something live.

You mean you want to be coding the same piece of code on both at the same time? 

At that point your only option is really google docs (I don't know of any live editors that work like google docs).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

You mean you want to be coding the same piece of code on both at the same time? 

At that point your only option is really google docs. 

coding with google docs? matrix level crap right here

interesting, can you write a macro in docs and make it transferrable?

Just now, anybodykek said:

Yeah.....but I can't think of another way to do live coding across multiple devices.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Oh ok well I just thought it would be nice because then if I'm working on something on my desktop and I want to lay back. I can just pull up my laptop and do so.

Just now, anybodykek said:

who knows? Maybe OP can create one ;p 

Haha no, I'm no good at coding.It's more for an Arma 3 server than anything. I'm thinking about using the laptop as a host. It'll create a more realistic server environment rather than doing it locally.

2 minutes ago, Maihym said:

Oh ok well I just thought it would be nice because then if I'm working on something on my desktop and I want to lay back. I can just pull up my laptop and do so.

Save the code to dropbox/github/repository of your choosing and just commit it when you're done working on one device and update the version you have on the other device. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, anybodykek said:

DID SOMEONE SAY RED PILL?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

8 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Save the code to dropbox/github/repository of your choosing and just commit it when you're done working on one device and update the version you have on the other device. 

Actually I'll use the dropbox method. I remember doing that with a minecraft server. It kept the files for me and a friend up to date so we can work on them at the same time.

If you're at home I recommend using your PC over laptop. The only clear advantage i can see is portability

36 minutes ago, Maihym said:

bruh... just make a shared folder between your pc and your laptop in your home network...

Laptop is for traveling. Thats about it. I don't use it at home. Not very often. Sometimes when I need third screen its useful.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I use my laptop for school to run some software on it and to do powerpoint presentations. 

Desktop is at home when I want to game. Its much more powerful and blazes through games.

I was never a fan of gaming notebooks. They run loud, hot, have worse battery life and are not as portable as ultrabooks. Im also not a mobile gamer. Its either game at home or dont game at all.