Best controller for PC? (Dark Souls III)

I picked up DS3 recently and the controls on PC are, well some of you might know. I've been told that controllers are a lot better for this game so I'm going to pick one up. 

I've also heard that the Xbox 360 controller is the best for PC but what about the XB1 controller? Is that any good?

Would love to hear from anyone with experience in the Dark Souls games on PC or that uses a controller on PC. Thanks. 

Corsair Air 540 - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Z170 - Corsair HX850i - Intel i7 6700K - Corsair H100i Pro - Gigabyte RX 5700 XT 8GB - 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2400 - Samsung 860 QVO 1TB - Samsung 850 500GB - WD Black 4TB

Never played a dark souls game but i do prefer the XB1 controller over the XB360 one for my controller needs.

5 minutes ago, HydraGaming said:

Never played a dark souls game but i do prefer the XB1 controller over the XB360 one for my controller needs.

Thanks for the reply.

Corsair Air 540 - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Z170 - Corsair HX850i - Intel i7 6700K - Corsair H100i Pro - Gigabyte RX 5700 XT 8GB - 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2400 - Samsung 860 QVO 1TB - Samsung 850 500GB - WD Black 4TB

You basically have three choices:

1. A console-like controller made for use with PCs
  2. An Xbox360/Xb1 controller
  3. A PS3/PS4 controller.

IMO, the 1st option would only really be used in a budget situation, the real console's controllers are pretty good.

If you get an Xbox360/Xb1 controller, it will work natively with a windows PC.

If you get a PS4 controller, "DS4 tool" allows it to be used on a PC.

If you get a PS3 controller, "SCP Server" is a basically seamless way to get PS3 controllers working on PC. (Just remember to run the installer as administrator and to "unblock" the files, windows gets fussy)

Once you know that much, it's down to personal choice. Do you prefer the layout of the Xbox controllers or the PS ones?

I use a PS3 controller with my PC, they're pretty good quality, they have the format I grew up with and they're cheaper than the PS4 controllers.

~pip

I would get an Xbox controller simply because it's the least amount of hassle. Most games that have some form of controller support are expecting an XInput device. If the controller doesn't support XInput correctly, then the controller may be mapped weirdly in the game.

Dual Shock 4 might be an option though now that Steam is supposed to support it.

1 minute ago, pipnina said:

You basically have three choices:

1. A console-like controller made for use with PCs
  2. An Xbox360/Xb1 controller
  3. A PS3/PS4 controller.

IMO, the 1st option would only really be used in a budget situation, the real console's controllers are pretty good.

If you get an Xbox360/Xb1 controller, it will work natively with a windows PC.

If you get a PS4 controller, "DS4 tool" allows it to be used on a PC.

If you get a PS3 controller, "SCP Server" is a basically seamless way to get PS3 controllers working on PC. (Just remember to run the installer as administrator and to "unblock" the files, windows gets fussy)

Once you know that much, it's down to personal choice. Do you prefer the layout of the Xbox controllers or the PS ones?

I use a PS3 controller with my PC, they're pretty good quality, they have the format I grew up with and they're cheaper than the PS4 controllers.

~pip

I've used both consoles in the past (Xbox 360 most recently). Nice to know Xbox controllers work natively. The XB1 Elite controller looks very nice but I don't think it will be worth the extra investment as I'll be exclusively be using it for Dark Souls. Thanks for the reply, very informative. 

Get one of the "newer" Xbox one controllers - as mentioned above they have near universal support in games and are still imo the best designed controller. The newer ones have 3.5mm for audio and more responsive bumper buttons, and the even newer ones have Bluetooth.

18 minutes ago, TiTANiTE said:

I've used both consoles in the past (Xbox 360 most recently). Nice to know Xbox controllers work natively. The XB1 Elite controller looks very nice but I don't think it will be worth the extra investment as I'll be exclusively be using it for Dark Souls. Thanks for the reply, very informative. 

Oh! I forgot to mention that SCP server converts the PS3 controller's input to Xinput so it's compatible with every game basically. It also lets you use the controller over Bluetooth or USB.

I would strongly recommend getting the Xbox One controller vs the 360 controller. 360 controllers have terrible problems with analogue stick dead zones and drifting (A quick google search reveals how common this problem is.) I've personally seen it happen to at least 4 different controllers. They start out alright but the deadzone gets worse and worse over time. Every single one has a left analogue stick that constantly points down and to the left.

Now for complete disclosure, I don't actually one an XOne controller but I've heard they're much higher quality.

Desktop: i5-6600k w/ be quiet! Pure Rock cooler. | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 mobo | Patriot Viper 16GB DDR4-3000 | 240GB Sandisk SSD | Corsair 500r Case (White) | HTC Vive!! | Shitty Insignia monitor

Peripherals: Razer BlackWidow Chroma | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Sennheiser 558

Phone: Nexus 5x
Tablet: Amazon Fire tablet (2015)

I played Dark Souls 1 with XBOX 360 controller and then all Dark Souls with Steam Controller.

I prefer well configured SC over the XBOX one any day. In fact I haven't used my XBOX controller for over a year now.

But most people are lazy to configure it, I get it. It's not really difficult once you learn what to do its just when you get it the settings may be overwhelming.