i7-4790 overheating? Bad cooler?

Hello guys,

Now the CPU isn't overheating per-se but it's definitely running a lot hotter than expected in games. It's a 4790 non-K but it's been pushed to 4.0GHz (max allowed locked multiplier) on stock voltage and it's running around 70 to 80 C in games that aren't even very taxing. Robocraft is the most notable example of this. It's got an Antec Khuler 650 cooling it which is antec's low end liquid cooler with a 120mm rad and single fan (non replaceable). I have managed to take manual control of the pump-fan speed because the fan curve that you set is very slow to respond and will let it heat up to 80+ C. I know you aren't supposed to be able to control its speed but by re-wiring some cables to and from the pump I have managed that.

The fan speed is at 75% which is quite noisy and the CPU diode still read between 70 to 80 C. Is this normal? I've meticulously cleaned the CPU die and coldplate many times and applied Arctic Silver 5, with only the first reapplication yielding a 2 to 3 C improvement. Also, the radiator fins are hard to reach because of antec's approach to the design: the pump is on the fan hub this time and not on the coldplate, therefore preventing a fan swap for something better since I would throw away the pump by doing so. A side effect of that is you cannot remove that assembly from the rad without a special kind of screwdriver (which I do not have unfortunately) and I'm unable to get a good angle at the fins. They aren't that clogged up though. For your information, I can confirm that the problem isn't between the PCU and coldplate since the air being pushed out of the radiator is quite warm. 

What do you guys think? Is the Khuler 650 a bad performing cooler in the first place? Or is there an underlying issue I haven't seen yet or is it just due to Robocraft being more CPU-bound than I'm led to believe?

Regards

2 minutes ago, Dunkan77 said:

Hello guys,

Now the CPU isn't overheating per-se but it's definitely running a lot hotter than expected in games. It's a 4790 non-K but it's been pushed to 4.0GHz (max allowed locked multiplier) on stock voltage and it's running around 70 to 80 C in games that aren't even very taxing. Robocraft is the most notable example of this. It's got an Antec Khuler 650 cooling it which is antec's low end liquid cooler with a 120mm rad and single fan (non replaceable). I have managed to take manual control of the pump-fan speed because the fan curve that you set is very slow to respond and will let it heat up to 80+ C. I know you aren't supposed to be able to control its speed but by re-wiring some cables to and from the pump I have managed that.

The fan speed is at 75% which is quite noisy and the CPU diode still read between 70 to 80 C. Is this normal? I've meticulously cleaned the CPU die and coldplate many times and applied Arctic Silver 5, with only the first reapplication yielding a 2 to 3 C improvement. Also, the radiator fins are hard to reach because of antec's approach to the design: the pump is on the fan hub this time and not on the coldplate, therefore preventing a fan swap for something better since I would throw away the pump by doing so. A side effect of that is you cannot remove that assembly from the rad without a special kind of screwdriver (which I do not have unfortunately) and I'm unable to get a good angle at the fins. They aren't that clogged up though. For your information, I can confirm that the problem isn't between the PCU and coldplate since the air being pushed out of the radiator is quite warm. 

What do you guys think? Is the Khuler 650 a bad performing cooler in the first place? Or is there an underlying issue I haven't seen yet or is it just due to Robocraft being more CPU-bound than I'm led to believe?

Regards

Not really an expert but I would say its the coolers fault or maybe you just got bad case air flow could you upload a picture of your PC?

Just to clarify something ... i7 4790 (K) is CPU with bad TIM inside.

High temps on those CPUs aren't suprising.

For example my i7 4790k is running on 80°C during stress test at stock voltage but 4,5GHz. In custom water loop where GPU is chilling at under 45°C all the time.

So yeah ... those CPUs aren't great with thermals.

You can try buying some better cooler, but it won't help that much.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Not at the moment but I have 2 120s as intakes, running at full speed because I sacrificed control over those to control the CPU cooler, and as exhaust, a nother 120 running at 50% speed and the cooler itself. The intakes are at the bottom front of the Corsair Graphite 230T case, one of the exhaust is in the front most top slot and the cpu cooler exhausts out the back slot.

I don't think the case has negative pressure inside it because of the 2 intakes at full speed, an exhaust at 50% and the other a 75%. It's gotta be in the ballpark of neutral pressure.

If your gonna buy a better cooler get one of corsairs H100 series if you dont care for its looks.

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

Just to clarify something ... i7 4790 (K) is CPU with bad TIM inside.

High temps on those CPUs aren't suprising.

For example my i7 4790k is running on 80°C during stress test at stock voltage but 4,5GHz. In custom water loop where GPU is chilling at under 45°C all the time.

So yeah ... those CPUs aren't great with thermals.

You can try buying some better cooler, but it won't help that much.

I have an unused Hyper 212 EVO I can try it on. And I would say that the heat transfer is being made quite well since the air coming out the rad is really warm. Much warmer than your hand. I may be wrong though. Maybe the cooling potential isn't being fully taken advantage on because of bad TIM

4 minutes ago, Xreldo said:

If your gonna buy a better cooler get one of corsairs H100 series if you dont care for its looks.

I have a H100 V2 incidentally, it's in my personal rig though. And I'm not too keen on removing it just for testing. That Hyper 212 EVO is the perfect candidate for now. If that fails, I will resort to mounting the dual 120 on it. I am currently out of time and I have to attend to real life for a few hours. I will try my best to keep you guys updated but I cannot promise anything else for today. There is a slight chance however that I will be able to test the 212 later on. If not, It's gonna be tomorrow.

I would like to hear from another Khuler 650 owner as well please. If you know anyone who has one, ask them or link them this thread for me, I will greatly appreciate it.

3 minutes ago, Dunkan77 said:

I have an unused Hyper 212 EVO I can try it on. And I would say that the heat transfer is being made quite well since the air coming out the rad is really warm. Much warmer than your hand. I may be wrong though. Maybe the cooling potential isn't being fully taken advantage on because of bad TIM

I can't be 100% sure in your case, but I know that my i7 4790k have very bad TIM under the IHS.

80°C on stock voltage in fully custom water loop? I feel ashamed of my results lmao

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Just now, Simon771 said:

I can't be 100% sure in your case, but I know that my i7 4790k have very bad TIM under the IHS.

80°C on stock voltage in fully custom water loop? I feel ashamed of my results lmao

You have an 80 C hot chip in a custom loop?? Wow... intel screwed up big time on this one. I thought it was the 4770 though. I thought they did a better job of applying TIM and called it the 4790 this time around. Anyway, I'm going guys, see you soon :) 

My chip runs at 65-73C while gaming with 212 evo. I was expecting better temps but that boost is just too much for the chip to stay cooler.  80C is pretty high and I would be trying different cooler.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

7 minutes ago, Dunkan77 said:

You have an 80 C hot chip in a custom loop?? Wow... intel screwed up big time on this one. I thought it was the 4770 though. I thought they did a better job of applying TIM and called it the 4790 this time around. Anyway, I'm going guys, see you soon :) 

Yeah well I would say that I'm just unlucky, but that wouldn't be true. A lot of debate was going on about i7 4790k temperatures. Intel sadly did a bad job with those CPUs.

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

Yeah well I would say that I'm just unlucky, but that wouldn't be true. A lot of debate was going on about i7 4790k temperatures. Intel sadly did a bad job with those CPUs.

Intel did a terrible job with 4770 and thats why haswell refresh was introduced.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Just now, Thony said:

Intel did a terrible job with 4770 and thats why haswell refresh was introduced.

Yeah well they didn't do great job 2nd eaither xD 

WD My Cloud 4TB