HDD not showing up

Zeinone

Hi LTT! 

Recently I got a new hdd, its a seagate 1tb hdd, nothing special. I set it up in the case and tried to see if it works but i got nothing, i went to the BIOS and nothing shows up from it. My motherboard is Gigabyte H77M D3H, and i did connect it properly with the motherboard and PSU.

Any solutions?

Is the hard drive spinning?

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

2 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Is the hard drive spinning?

Yes

Check again if sata cables are connected correctly.

Go to windows and wait if there will be some device hardware change and windows updates.

Go to disk manager and see if you can see empty volume there.

If it's a new drive, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't show up in BIOS. It's highly unlikely that you bought brand new HDD and it's not working.

Recheck your sata cables, maybe use differend cable or differend sata slot on motherboard :)

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

2 minutes ago, Zeinone said:

Yes

That means it has power but double check that the SATA cable is inserted correctly. Also try different cables and different ports.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Agree with @Simon771... very good advice. Exactly what I would have suggested.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Hey guys. I've tried all of those things you suggested, I simply can't get it to work. It's not showing.

However I tried the same HDD on H61M-S1 (gigabyte) and it connected and is working. I can see it in the BIOS and everything. 

Now, H61 is an older motherboard, and I have no idea how it works on the older one but on the newer one it doesnt.
@Simon771 @vorticalbox

4 minutes ago, Zeinone said:

Hey guys. I've tried all of those things you suggested, I simply can't get it to work. It's not showing.

However I tried the same HDD on H61M-S1 (gigabyte) and it connected and is working. I can see it in the BIOS and everything. 

Now, H61 is an older motherboard, and I have no idea how it works on the older one but on the newer one it doesnt.
@Simon771 @vorticalbox

Well in this case it must be something wrong with your motherboard.

Try and check if there is any BIOS update avaliable for your motherboard. If that doesn't help you, there is nothing else to do, than changing motherboard.

At least I don't see any other solution :)

WD My Cloud 4TB

Just now, Simon771 said:

Well in this case it must be something wrong with your motherboard.

Try and check if there is any BIOS update avaliable for your motherboard. If that doesn't help you, there is nothing else to do, than changing motherboard.

At least I don't see any other solution :)

Thank you very much, I'll try to see for updates. :)

50 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

Also try different cables and different ports.

Does your Gigabyte H77M currently have a working drive installed? @Zeinone

12 minutes ago, Ctown0812 said:

Does your Gigabyte H77M currently have a working drive installed? @Zeinone

Yes, 2 of them actually.

36 minutes ago, Zeinone said:

Yes, 2 of them actually.

Assuming you haven't tried this already, unplug one of those and plug the new drive into that port, boot into your bios and see if it reads it then, since you know that those ports work.  If it still doesn't read it, then my only guess is that the hard drive is using a Master Boot Record partition style and, for whatever reason, your motherboard isn't recognizing it.  Modern hard drives should be using GUID partition tables.  Again, this is just a guess

44 minutes ago, Ctown0812 said:

Assuming you haven't tried this already, unplug one of those and plug the new drive into that port, boot into your bios and see if it reads it then, since you know that those ports work.  If it still doesn't read it, then my only guess is that the hard drive is using a Master Boot Record partition style and, for whatever reason, your motherboard isn't recognizing it.  Modern hard drives should be using GUID partition tables.  Again, this is just a guess

Tried everything, from checking all the ports, to changing the sata cable and checking all again, went to my older PC and it read it perfectly with both cables, its probably the Master Boot Record you were talking about that is somehow not working in my newer PC. Thanks for the help either way, highly appreciate it.