SSD - should I put it to Sleep/Hibernate/Hybrid or Shutdown

GrayFoxX4

So as the title said, what do I do? 

Because I searched the internet so much but there is no definitive answer.

any1 can help me here?

Why do you think it matters in terms of storage?

It doesn't really affect it.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I found on a HDD, hibernation was noticeably faster than a normal shutdown, since booting was quicker and logging on was instant, rather than 1 minute+

With an SSD though, I find shutting down normally as fast if not faster actually.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

The reason i am asking is because i read online that hibernate with SSD will decrease the drive life because of the write on the drive

and sleep some have said it can cause the SSD to not boot all of a sudden

any input on that?

14 minutes ago, GrayFoxX4 said:

The reason i am asking is because i read online that hibernate with SSD will decrease the drive life because of the write on the drive

and sleep some have said it can cause the SSD to not boot all of a sudden

any input on that?

yes, some drives disable hibernation to prevent excessive/unnecessary wear on the drive. On Samsung magician it says that hibernation uses up to 75% of system memory size to create hyberfil.sys, so it is disabled by default just like the page file.
Never heard about problems with sleep mode. Most ssd enable devSleep by deafult so it should be ok.

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

On 24.10.2016 г. at 8:02 AM, GrayFoxX4 said:

~snip~

Hey :)

My two cents on this:

• Sleep basically puts your computer in a Stand-By mode, putting all applications on hold but your system still uses some power to keep everything going as all the data is still in the RAM.
  • Hibernate is the same with the only difference that the data from the RAM is dumped on the storage drive and the system uses 0 power while in hibernation but it takes more time to "wake up" and does writing to the SSD.
  • Hybrid is a combination between the two designed for desktop computers as redundancy against power outages. It basically puts the system on low-power Stnd-by mode like Sleep mode but it also puts the data from your memory on the storage drive AND it leaves it on the memory. This way it allows you to "wake up" the system much faster but still provides you safety against power outages. 

Let me know if you need any other info :)

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

1 hour ago, Captain_WD said:

Hey :)

My two cents on this:

• Sleep basically puts your computer in a Stand-By mode, putting all applications on hold but your system still uses some power to keep everything going as all the data is still in the RAM.
  • Hibernate is the same with the only difference that the data from the RAM is dumped on the storage drive and the system uses 0 power while in hibernation but it takes more time to "wake up" and does writing to the SSD.
  • Hybrid is a combination between the two designed for desktop computers as redundancy against power outages. It basically puts the system on low-power Stnd-by mode like Sleep mode but it also puts the data from your memory on the storage drive AND it leaves it on the memory. This way it allows you to "wake up" the system much faster but still provides you safety against power outages. 

Let me know if you need any other info :)

Captain_WD. 

Hi Cap

I know all that, the thing is i got scared by the internet saying that Hybrid and Hibernate kills your SSD much faster and Sleep can crash you SSD all of a sudden 

so maybe i was misled by the internet or maybe that was all relevant in the past SSD and not the ones we we have now. Thats my issue, I dont know who is right

if you run windows i would atleast shut it down at night. if you run linux you can just hybernate it 

27 minutes ago, GrayFoxX4 said:

~snip~

I believe that current SSDs have pretty good TBWs and hibernating the system won't really wear it out that much and they are quite good on the performance side to compensate for the slow wake-up times compared to sleep while providing some safety in case the power goes out.

Still, as @cakevreter2000 suggested, if you can simply power down your whole system in order to avoid any complications unless you absolutely need to keep some applications and files opened throughout the time you are away from the system. 

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/