M.2 SSD not appearing on MSI Gaming M4 Board

Go to solution Solved by Cthulhu Calamari,

So, for anyone who has the MSI Gaming M5 motherboard, the activiation for the m.2 slots is on page 96 of the PDF manual, and not in the physical manual in the box at all.

Problem solved

I recently put together my first ever build (I'll post photos once I get this working), but the INTEL SSD 600P Series M.2 PCIe NVMe drive I installed does not show up anywhere: not in the bootable devices selection when fresh installing Win10; not in the Device Manager or My Computer Browser in Windows; and not on the MSI Gaming M5 BIOS Board Explorer, which currently shows the M.2_1 Connector as empty (and I just manually updated the BIOS to the most recent one). I literally bought everything yesterday, new from NCIX: INTEL SSD; Motherboard.

Is there something I don't know how to do in the BIOS, or is this drive DOA?

20161021_134742.jpg

20161021_142810.jpg

Check your manual. I think only pcie ssd not sata?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

Check your manual. I think only pcie ssd not sata?

I did read the manual, and both of the M.2 slots are able to function as either PCIe or SATA. Installing a PCIe card in the M.2_1 slot disables PCIe functionality on SATA ports 5 & 6, but I don't have anything in those. I have a DVD drive in SATA 1, and a standard SSD in SATA 2 (which is what I've initially installed Windows on in order to see if updating the BIOS would fix this). I don't see any option to enable PCIe functionality on the M.2 slot in the BIOS, which, as mentioned in the first post, registers nothing at all ATM.

have you tried the SSD in the other m.2 slot?

it's very possible the SSD is just .. DOA

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

have you tried the SSD in the other m.2 slot?

it's very possible the SSD is just .. DOA

statistically speaking it is far far more probable that the motherboard is faulty than the ssd (ssd's have average RMA rates around .1-.2%, mobos 2-10%).

But yea @OP you should really try the other slot just to see. 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

statistically speaking it is far far more probable that the motherboard is faulty than the ssd (ssd's have average RMA rates around .1-.2%, mobos 2-10%).

this is a very new product; you can't say SSDs can't be DOA because RMA rates are low

the m.2 is nothing fancy, just a straight up PICe 4x connection to the PCH / or SATA - but his SSD is NVMe

It turns out that the PCIe functionality for those slots was knee-deep in the Advanced BIOS settings, on page 90-M-Effin'-6 of the 106 page manual.

Working on that now. BRB

Oh, nice. After following the manual's guide, on Restart I got a Windows error, auto-restart and now the power light is flashing...

First time build, FML

Now the debug panel is showing a 5d, which other forums have listed as a memory issue, involving RMAs and shit like that.

Can someone here please give me advice that doesn't involve setting up my shitty-ass laptop to work on a paper proposal due Monday...?

• 1 month later...

So, for anyone who has the MSI Gaming M5 motherboard, the activiation for the m.2 slots is on page 96 of the PDF manual, and not in the physical manual in the box at all.

Problem solved