Raid 0 or Raid 5

rwaalph

Raid 0 vs Raid 5  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Raid 0 vs Raid 5

• Raid 0
    • Raid 5
    • None of the above (comment answer below)

So im a gamer and programmer and i wanna ask some opinion here about getting raid 0 or 5 im kinda anxious about using raid0 because of the risk and i know many of you will say i just need to back up frequently to minimize possible damage but since im a programmer every bit of data lost is detremental for me and i heard about raid 5 and i think its safe enough while taking advantage of the performance , if any of this is not suitable should i just settle for raid1

RAID 0 is better for something like your OS and programs. RAID5 is better for data loss protection. Though RAID1 will cause less hassles since if one drive in RAID5 goes down, performance suffers a lot more than RAID1 until you get another drive. Since you're also a programmer, I'd highly recommend signing up for something like GitHub or BitBucket because not only do you get a cloud service to back your stuff to, but you have versioning, which is very important for a programmer to have.

it depends. Raid 0 will increase your read and write speeds, but it will effecticly double your chance of data loss. Raid 5 will add in redundancy at the cost of write speed. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

4 minutes ago, rwaalph said:

every bit of data lost is detremental for me and i heard about raid 5

If this is true, you will NOT use RAID0.   No further discussion.

But if you are a programmer you know MUCH better ways of protecting your stuff than RAID 5.     git replicas?

RAID1 vs. RAID5 is a much better question.

Performance difference is dubious, and depends on cleverness of raid cards/volume managers/file systems.

So really for consumer desktops it just comes down to what is cost effective.

No-RAID (single disk) is probably a better option for you than RAID0, so yeah, your poll question is a bad one.

To be honest, I don't understand RAID0, unless you want to store a bunch of files almost as big as a whole drive. For anything else you are better off with two separate drives, unless reading speeds are life and death to you.

I prefer RAID1 because I only want it for safety, but that's just my use case, doesn't need to be yours. In this sense, I see RAID 5 or 6 as more convenient options for a mixture of safety and speed, but it depends on hoy many drives you plan to use, since they don't make sense for a small number of drives (won't work with less than 3 afaik).

7 minutes ago, rwaalph said:

So im a gamer and programmer and i wanna ask some opinion here about getting raid 0 or 5 im kinda anxious about using raid0 because of the risk and i know many of you will say i just need to back up frequently to minimize possible damage but since im a programmer every bit of data lost is detremental for me and i heard about raid 5 and i think its safe enough while taking advantage of the performance , if any of this is not suitable should i just settle for raid1

RAID is not a backup so go with RAID 0 if you need the speed for daily use, but don't count on any form of RAID to safeguard data.

Well yeah i like using raid 0 for its speed been using it for a while but some of my friends which is using raid 0 happen to have driver malfunction and resulted to all their files being corrupted (yeah he's an idiot didnt have a backup) because of this incident im preparing in case one of my drive fail in the near future

3 minutes ago, rwaalph said:

Well yeah i like using raid 0 for its speed been using it for a while but some of my friends which is using raid 0 happen to have driver malfunction and resulted to all their files being corrupted (yeah he's an idiot didnt have a backup) because of this incident im preparing in case one of my drive fail in the near future

It really is that simple.  If you are serious about preserving data, don't RAID.  Use fast single drives and back those up with other methods.  

Don't get me wrong, I use RAID 0 myself, but not for anything that I can't afford to lose.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

It really is that simple.  If you are serious about preserving data, don't RAID.  Use fast single drives and back those up with other methods.  

Don't get me wrong, I use RAID 0 myself, but not for anything that I can't afford to lose.

Thanks really helpful

100% RAID 5 or RAID 10. With enough drives they're nearly the same speed. And you can loose a drive or two. Either way back up to an external hard drive. Couldn't you just get a decent ssd? How much space do you need here?

3 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

100% RAID 5 or RAID 10. With enough drives they're nearly the same speed. And you can loose a drive or two. Either way back up to an external hard drive. Couldn't you just get a decent ssd? How much space do you need here?

Well im currently upgrading my pc this december buying a samsung 850 evo 500gb ssd and other more components

7 minutes ago, rwaalph said:

Well im currently upgrading my pc this december buying a samsung 850 evo 500gb ssd and other more components

If that's enough storage for your programming I'd just use the ssd. Much more speed. Silent. No extra power consumption. No need to worry about Drives failing. Just back it up to an external hard drive like I said and everything should be fine man. :)