Will upgrading help?

i have a 960 gpu and a amd 8320 and was wondering if getting a i5 6600 or 6600k would make a difference in gaming. in games like battlefield 1 or rainbow six siege. will i be able to run these games at higher quality? 

An Intel Skylake processor will blow the 8320 out of the water in every way.

i7 4790k | GTX 970 | 16GB

That's all you need to know. It's a beast.

2 minutes ago, lXLuckyXl said:

i have a 960 gpu and a amd 8320 and was wondering if getting a i5 6600 or 6600k would make a difference in gaming. in games like battlefield 1 or rainbow six siege. will i be able to run these games at higher quality? 

watch cpu & gpu usage during gaming, if the cpu doesnt hit 100% and the gpu does than the gpu is the bottleneck, if the cpu hits 100% then the cpu is the bottleneck. i personally don't think your gpu is the bottleneck, and if it is then i think your cpu would become the bottleneck. i would first upgrade the cpu and mobo, then the gpu.

yeah, a CPU upgrade would likely help you out a lot in games, not to mention every day use

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

6 minutes ago, AverageHardware said:

An Intel Skylake processor will blow the 8320 out of the water in every way.

Not in multi threaded work loads.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

3 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

Not in multi threaded work loads.

The single threaded performance advantage balances out 4 less physical cores. (In this specific instance. i5 6600k vs 8320)

You want to play Battlefield 1 or Rainbow Six at higher quality?

Why is upgrading your CPU the first choice?

Have you considered getting a bigger GPU?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

You want to play Battlefield 1 or Rainbow Six at higher quality?

Why is upgrading your CPU the first choice?

Have you considered getting a bigger GPU?

Both these games require strong single threaded CPU performance, which the 8320 isn't too good at.

The 960 will play these games on high @ 1080p.

so if i want better gaming performances would you recommend me keeping my 8320 and getting a better graphics card?

2 minutes ago, AverageHardware said:

Both these games require strong single threaded CPU performance, which the 8320 isn't too good at.

The 960 will play these games on high @ 1080p.

you can overclock it to like 5GHz and run the games a ultra 1440p or 4K

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

I would advise against that, as your CPU doesn't have great single threaded performance, which will be a bottleneck in games

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

1 minute ago, Jorgen297 said:

There's almost no real world applications where an FX processor beats a Skylake, only synthetic benchmarks. 

Assuming you mean the sklake i5, Gaming with 4+ threads, rendering, video editing, running 4+ vms, really if you can use the threads the fx series is a better choice, but it also has drawbacks such as higher wattage.

so if i want better gaming performances would you recommend me keeping my 8320 and getting a better graphics card?

Yes, something like a 1060/rx 480 would be a good upgrade.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

There's almost no real world applications where an FX processor beats a Skylake, only synthetic benchmarks. 

6 minutes ago, AverageHardware said:

The single threaded performance advantage balances out 4 less physical cores. (In this specific instance. i5 6600k vs 8320)

Some game engines can use 8 threads of a CPU frost bite for example. I wasn't suggest that the @lXLuckyXl keep the 8320 just that in certain situations the fx chips do rather well. I personally, would that the i5 as most games have a lot of AI calculations where the stronger cores would be better thought with the right motherboard and cooling you could OC the nuts off it ^_^

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I can name one example unfortunately, RuneScape. Although only true in the following extreme example, FX 8350 VS i3-6100. The game can't take advantage of multiple threads & even on it's newer NXT client is still heavily CPU bound just like WOW. Likewise, a true 4 core CPU at lower clock speed would perform better than an OC'd 2 core 4 thread one.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

what version/ model for the 1060 would you recommend  

what version/ model for the 1060 would you recommend  

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

what resolution/monitor are you using?

what operating system?

2 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

do you even need a cpu for runescape? ran that game back in 2005 on god know what cpu lol

It's changed a lot unfortunately & most of that happened under a year after I got my current PC over 5 years ago. As with other MMO's though I feel it's main issue is trying to display too many things at once even when lower hardware is used. Whether you're on my AMD Athlon X2 260 + 1GB Radeon HD 6450 or an i7-6700k + GTX 980Ti. It'll still try to load every single player around you, no matter if that's 10 or 100.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3