ACER: Should they stop?

I have never had a positive experience with Acer systems. I have worked with them for several years and hundreds of machines due to my line of work. All that I have encountered have had problems, and they have left a bad taste in the mouths of many IT technicians. The only thing I can think of that keeps them on the market is they have very low prices compared to others. Which is great to a degree of purchasing power for the consumers, but if their products continuously have problems is it really worth having on the market? Just want some others opinions about this.

Acer is the cancer of laptops, that is just how it is, but they price their products cheaper than other brands and this sometimes does so the other brands lower their pricing a bit. Acer has a very very few okay laptops, but they are not going to stop making laptops just because they suck at it, because most consumers just look at specs and price and Acer is pretty good there. I would keep them around just to put a bit of presure on other laptop companies.

Acer outside the laptop marked has made some good products.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

From what I see, Acer is very hit and miss in the laptop market space. In a sense, they're a lot like Asus in many regards: they do a damn good job at some products but very mediocre jobs in the laptop market.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I have had issues with both desktops and laptops. BIOS has been horrid, failures in hardware, so many inconsistencies with the OS from Microsoft that hasn't behaved the same way with any other brands out there from Dell to Samsung. Acer seems to be the one that sticks out as the worst thing to happen to cheap computers. The "You get what you pay for" statement is so true and it kills companies who don't know any better.

If they are as junky as you say, they would have a reputation and people would stop buying...  

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Just now, CostcoSamples said:

If they are as junky as you say, they would have a reputation and people would stop buying...  

People who don't investigate machines that they plan on buying and go with what is cheapest is why these machines stay on the market. When you are looking at $200-$300 difference in the mind of a consumer, it's the easy choice to them. For people who know a little more, they will spend the extra money to have a product they know has been reliable.

Laptops i don't know about, but at least the old desktops were nice. I have an old acer prebuilt, the case has tool-less hdd mounts. 6 of them, and they work very nicely. But the new prebuilt i got has 8 holes in a piece of sheet metal for mounting the drives... Both are still running except the newer one's psu sounds like it is dying at certain loads (silent at idle, silent at full load but almost dies in the "normal use"). Also worth noting the older one is from 2006-2007ish and the new one is from 2014 i believe.

I have an Acer Display and its great. Never owned something else from them.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

1 minute ago, Jv2391 said:

People who don't investigate machines that they plan on buying and go with what is cheapest is why these machines stay on the market. When you are looking at $200-$300 difference in the mind of a consumer, it's the easy choice to them. For people who know a little more, they will spend the extra money to have a product they know has been reliable.

If they are junk and must rely on the foolishness of uninformed buyers, they are essentially limiting themselves to first time Acer buyers.  First time buyers is a small market.  Just playing devil's advocate here.  I wouldn't buy an Acer laptop (though I did in 2007 and it was fine).  I also own an Acer monitor and it is awesome.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

2 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

they have a bad reputation among a lot of people. A bad reputation has to be insanely bad before the average joe knows about it. If you don't know anything about a type of product then it is very easy to get the worst product.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

This question was brought up because I had a client purchase a brand new Acer. They installed it and then the machine just stopped working the next day. Wouldn't allow any one to log in, wouldn't allow recovery media to work, and would fail during a reset, but would reset and the stability became a large concern. So my client is shipping the machine back, but I have noticed that Windows is so unstable and so many issues seem to be linked with those 4 letters on a machine.

28 minutes ago, Jv2391 said:

This question was brought up because I had a client purchase a brand new Acer. They installed it and then the machine just stopped working the next day. Wouldn't allow any one to log in, wouldn't allow recovery media to work, and would fail during a reset, but would reset and the stability became a large concern. So my client is shipping the machine back, but I have noticed that Windows is so unstable and so many issues seem to be linked with those 4 letters on a machine.

If a client comes to me and ask what laptop he should buy then I would never say a Acer laptop. About 70% of the laptops I fix are from Acer, so I would never recommend a Acer PC.

A Acer screen on the other hand is good.

17 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

If a client comes to me and asks if what laptop he should buy then I would never say a Acer laptop. About 70% of the laptops I fix are from Acer, so I would never recommend a Acer PC.

A Acer screen on the other hand is good.

I typically recommend Dell, HP, or ASUS. I just wish ASUS would sell directly from their site instead of making us venture to 3rd party vendors.

14 minutes ago, Jv2391 said:

I typically recommend Dell, HP, or ASUS. I just wish ASUS would sell directly from their site instead of making us venture to 3rd party vendors.

I would not recommend Asus, since their support is shit and cooling is getting really bad on a lot of them.

Personally I would rather get a business class laptop.  I am done with normal laptops for my personal use.

For clients Dell and Lenovo is pretty much up there all the time, Dell has the best support, but lenovo often has the better build laptops, the ideapad 510s is pretty damn good, same with the Y700. While Dell goes more after same specs for a bit cheaper and then cuts a bit on quality(just look at the 7559).

On 10/18/2016 at 11:50 AM, Dackzy said:

I would not recommend Asus, since their support is shit and cooling is getting really bad on a lot of them.

Personally I would rather get a business class laptop.  I am done with normal laptops for my personal use.

For clients Dell and Lenovo is pretty much up there all the time, Dell has the best support, but lenovo often has the better build laptops, the ideapad 510s is pretty damn good, same with the Y700. While Dell goes more after same specs for a bit cheaper and then cuts a bit on quality(just look at the 7559).

The only issue with Lenovo is security. They recently were busted for building a back door into all their BIOS that they can access.

3 hours ago, Jv2391 said:

The only issue with Lenovo is security. They recently were busted for building a back door into all their BIOS that they can access.

oh that is basically in every laptop expect business. Intel wants/has a backdoor into every single "intel laptop".

Most people think that it is only Lenovo that has had backdoors, but every single brand has had it or has it. They also thinks that if there is something like that on a Lenovo then it is on a ThinkPad, but that is not true. A ThinkPad has never had any of the backdoors or any of the software flaws that a Lenovo has had. You see that is a business class laptop and they would loose way too many clients if they did anything like that.

When you start looking into things then you will see that no brand is innocent.

You can thank NSA for this.