Budget build for my brother

Bugses

My brothers computer is due for an upgrade. Hes currently using a i5-760 and a R9 280. He wants to play Battlefield 1 on his 1080p 144hz monitor, but we are not sure what he needs for that.

I have suggested a 1070 and 6700K, is that overkill? 

Fractal Define R5 - i7-5820K - Noctua DH-D15S - GLH GTX 1070 - Strix X99 Gaming - HyperX Fury 2400MHz 16GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2

No, that's not overkill at all. That's what I'd suggest actually.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

No, that's not overkill at all.

1060 is probably not enough, if he wants to make use of his 144hz monitor, is it?

Can anyone suggest a motherboard?

Fractal Define R5 - i7-5820K - Noctua DH-D15S - GLH GTX 1070 - Strix X99 Gaming - HyperX Fury 2400MHz 16GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2

5 minutes ago, Bugses said:

1060 is probably not enough, if he wants to make use of his 144hz monitor, is it?

Can anyone suggest a motherboard?

I've seen a stock GTX 1060 go down into the 50s in BF1 so no, it's probably not adequate enough. A i7 6700K paired with a GTX 1070 should be pushing it past that 100FPS threshold.

You want a Z170 motherboard... the ASUS Z170-A is a decent option.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

a 1060 will struggle with a game as intense as Battlefield 1. a 1070 is definitely the way to go for 144fps ultra settings. however, neither a 6700K nor a 1070 is budgetlol. for a full build with those two, expect to spend over $1000

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Also, should he go for a Noctua cooler, or can something cheaper do it?

I got a Noctua myself, and I love it. But I'm also a noise freak, and I dont think he is.

2 minutes ago, Bugses said:

I got a Noctua myself, and I love it. But I'm also a noise freak, and I dont think he is.

Depends how much money he can spare on a cooler. If the budget doesn't allow it or if it compromises another component, I would be looking at a basic cooler such as the CRYORIG H7.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Bugses said:

I guess you want to spend more than $1000 lol. remember to quote when responding to people. If he wont be overclocking, dont even bother with a K chip anyways. if he will, get something like an NH-D15

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Go with a Scythe Fuma. Trading blows with the top Noctua's but at a more decent price. Can also perform very silent like the Noctua's.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Depends how much money he can spare on a cooler. If the budget doesn't allow it or if it compromises another component, I would be looking at a basic cooler such as the CRYORIG H7.

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know if its just as easy to install as the Noctua ones?

2 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

I guess you want to spend more than $1000 lol. remember to quote when responding to people. If he wont be overclocking, dont even bother with a K chip anyways. if he will, get something like an NH-D15

I will probably OC it for him. I like to try and get the most of my hardware myself.

2 minutes ago, Gonio said:

Go with a Scythe Fuma. Trading blows with the top Noctua's but at a more decent price. Can also perform very silent like the Noctua's.

Thanks for the suggestion, and I'll ask you the same as I asked HKZ. Do you know if its as easy to install as the Noctua?

Just now, Bugses said:

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know if its just as easy to install as the Noctua ones?

Personally, I wouldn't say the mount hardware is as easy to work with as the NH-D15's but the H7 is still quite easy to install. Much better than the blasted mounting mechanism of the CM 212 EVO.

Spoiler

Aye, it's overall good to do. Especially if RAM isn't fit yet or if you add the 2nd side fan later. As with every aircooler don't do it to tight, make sure the contact surfaces are clean and screw crosswise.

I myself always place the CPU and aircooler out of case.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

4 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Personally, I wouldn't say the mount hardware is as easy to work with as the NH-D15's but the H7 is still quite easy to install. Much better than the blasted mounting mechanism of the CM 212 EVO.

3 minutes ago, Gonio said:

Aye, it's overall good to do. Especially if RAM isn't fit yet or if you add the 2nd side fan later. As with every aircooler don't do it to tight, make sure the contact surfaces are clean and screw crosswise.

I myself always place the CPU and aircooler out of case.

Thanks to you both, I'll tell him to consider those two.

If he gets a 1070, which one is the best to get?

I find the EVGA with the ACX 3.0 cooler best, but Asus Strix and MSI gaming series are all good options.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

7 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

plz don't trigger me that stupid X thing, my god..

1 minute ago, Gonio said:

I find the EVGA with the ACX 3.0 cooler best, but Asus Strix and MSI gaming series are all good options.

Thank you very much :)

3 minutes ago, Bugses said:

Thanks to you both, I'll tell him to consider those two.

If he gets a 1070, which one is the best to get?

Honestly, any card would work. Pick the one that suits your aesthetic-style best.

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Honestly, any card would work. Pick the one that suits your aesthetic-style best.