Will old hard drives in computer work with new ssd with new os?

Mattnott

I am taking out my hard-drive with my current os on it and installing a new ssd with a new os. I am not  changing anything else in the computer. I also have 3 other internal hard-drives. Will the data on the other hard drives still be there and accessible with my new os on the new ssd? Or do they only work while allocated to the previous os?

3 minutes ago, Mattnott said:

I am taking out my hard-drive with my current os on it and installing a new ssd with a new os. I am not  changing anything else in the computer. I also have 3 other internal hard-drives. Will the data on the other hard drives still be there and accessible with my new os on the new ssd? Or do they only work while allocated to the previous os?

They should work as long as the PC doesn't try to boot to them

In short, yes.

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHZ
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GT 730

Attachcorethingy: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Infoholdstick: 4x2GB sticks

Computerarmor: Lenovo Case

Rememberdoogle: 2 250 Gig Drives

AdditionalPylons: Generic 300 Watt

Letterpad: Lenovo

Buttonrodent: Lenovo

Aural Interface: Sony

Liquidrectangles: 1 1600x900 Vizio TV

5 hours ago, Mattnott said:

~snip~

Hello :)

You shouldn't have any issue accessing the data on your old drives as long as they are still formatted with a file system compatible with the new OS. If you are still using Windows you shouldn't have any issues at all. You should even be able to access the old boot partition and get your data off of it (old C partition). If you can't see it in file explorer you should simply assign a letter to it in Disk Management

It's recommended to delete the old system partitions and, after backing up the data from the old C partition, remove that too in order to avoid any future issues. Make sure your drive with the new OS is on top of the boot order in BIOS and you should be ready to go. 

Let me know if you need help or if you have any questions! 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/