New PC for Gaming and amateur Video editing

Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

Plan later. 2-3 days at most before you purchase. Christmas is a while from now because parts and prices change frequently.

Hi guys! 

I will build a new pc ,because my old is just nearly "dead". I'm looking to see what you guys think and welcome any advices. I'm from Slovakia so prices will be in €. My budget is somewhere around 700-800€. I'll be buying this pc at christmas so there will be some price drops and sales too. This PC will be used mainly for gaming and some amateur video editing and photoshop.

Here are my choices:

Processor:
 Intel Core i5-4670K (192,31€) - I chose this one because of his performance and unlocked multiplier. 

Cooler: I'd like to get Corsair H60 (59,05€) since i want to overclock. I wanted H100i ones but why do i have to pay more when H60 will handle good temperatures even when it will be at heavy load (not very often).

Motherboard: I'm looking at something like ASRock Z87 Extreme4 (113,94€) because of her SLI compatibility and very good sound.

RAM : Something like Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x4GB 1600MHz CL9 (82,00€) will be ideal i think. In future i'm planning to upgrade it to 16GB.

Graphics card: Right now i'm looking at double EVGA GTX 760 ACX SC Dual Bios (227,03€) (second next year sometime around march) running in SLI mode. But I've read that prices will drop because of GTX 780 Ti and Radeon R9 290X , so maybe i will be able to buy GTX 770. But in my opinion 760 will do the job very well too.

HDD: I think about an SSD such as ADATA Premier Pro SP900 128GB (77,65€) for my OS and other important software. It's pretty fast and cheap. And for hard drive i chose Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200.12 (49,34€).

PSU: Since i want to have dual GPU i will need more than 650W so i think Fractal Design Tesla R2 800W (115,34€) will be good choice and it will look good with my case.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 - Widowed (93,63€) has really good noise dampening ,airflow and especially she looks very good. 

So here are my choices. I know that all of this cost 1050€, but as I mentioned I hope some prices will drop and there will be sales too so dont judge me please :D.Any tips would be appriciated.

Thanks. MrHiei

P.S. Sorry for my English, i'm just in 9th grade.

looks verry good for gaming and amateur video editing. i wuld recomend you buying a little bigger ssd (maybe a 240gbssd) since they tend to fill up quickly :P at  least for me. smart of you to get a 800w psu for future SLI. 
I think this will give you a lot of joy and good luck finging the best deals ! :P

how about you dont get the cooler and get a non k sku i5 and then a better gpu? Other then that its pretty solid all around, im against the r4 but thats just me.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

You should go for a 212EVO instead, it will allow you to OC and it's very quiet. It can be worth looking for 1866Mhz RAM, it really is the sweet spot for editing/rendering. (only there's not a big price difference)

7950 is a better value than the 760, so I'd go for that if I were you. Storage wise it's good, 750W PSU would be fine, it depends on the price.

@brownninja97

The define R4 is awesome, silent and a pure, simple design. Definitely a good built quality and it's a perfect case for a workstation. What don't you like about it?

I don't understand the point in buying a k version of a Haswell processor. They can overclock, but they aren't good enough at it, imo, to be worth it and make a difference.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I don't understand the point in buying a k version of a Haswell processor. They can overclock, but they aren't good enough at it, imo, to be worth it and make a difference.

It's about a 10$ price difference between 4670 and 4670k, if you can get 4.2-4.4Ghz out of it, then it's worth it IMO. Of course it's a lottery, but I do regret not getting a K processor at the time. Haswell ain't that bad at OCing.

You could get a cheaper chipset if you take the OCing out of the equation, but it will probably be worth it, unless you have bad luck.

Meh, I guess you're right but I personally would be fine with 4.0GHz and above.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

You should go for a 212EVO instead, it will allow you to OC and it's very quiet. It can be worth looking for 1866Mhz RAM, it really is the sweet spot for editing/rendering. (only there's not a big price difference)

7950 is a better value than the 760, so I'd go for that if I were you. Storage wise it's good, 750W PSU would be fine, it depends on the price.

@brownninja97

The define R4 is awesome, silent and a pure, simple design. Definitely a good built quality and it's a perfect case for a workstation. What don't you like about it?

The simple design, its toooooo simple. Anyways its my opinion, its like argueing about what the best car is, we all have a different opinion. I would take a obsidian 550d or a nzxt h230 anyday and everyday over the define r4. If the build quality is decent then i stop caring about the quality and i dont care for metal vs plastic, also nzxt has the best cable routing system.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

It's about a 10$ price difference between 4670 and 4670k, if you can get 4.2-4.4Ghz out of it, then it's worth it IMO. Of course it's a lottery, but I do regret not getting a K processor at the time. Haswell ain't that bad at OCing.

You could get a cheaper chipset if you take the OCing out of the equation, but it will probably be worth it, unless you have bad luck.

And a Corsair H60 or 212EVO costs how much? 

Meh, I guess you're right but I personally would be fine with 4.0GHz and above.

The chips run fine on stock coolers so long as they are at stock settings. Again. I say it's not worth the money.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

@8521546

I think i won't need bigger SSD because i will use it just for a few programs and OS. 

@brownninja97

I want to OC so i dont think I should buy 4670 and stay with stock cooler

@Marxtai

I always wanted water cooling but i won't mention it here, i chose water cooling because it's quieter ,temperatures are often better and it will fit with high profile RAM modules. 
Maybe you are right with 7950 , but what i've read is that Crossfire has more issues than SLI .
RAMs ... Maybe Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866MHz , I think they cost pretty much the same.

@Vitalius 

212EVO is around 35€ and H60 around 60€.

But thank you all for your tips.

Yes. And the K version of the 4670 is $10 more (wtv in euros). 

So that's kind of a lot for overclocking when it can only hit around 4.2GHz unless you are lucky.

† Christian Member †

@8521546

I think i won't need bigger SSD because i will use it just for a few programs and OS. 

@brownninja97

I want to OC so i dont think I should buy 4670 and stay with stock cooler

@Marxtai

I always wanted water cooling but i won't mention it here, i chose water cooling because it's quieter ,temperatures are often better and it will fit with high profile RAM modules. 

Maybe you are right with 7950 , but what i've read is that Crossfire has more issues than SLI .

RAMs ... Maybe Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866MHz , I think they cost pretty much the same.

@Vitalius 

overclocking is pointless with the intel haswell chips, you can overclock even without a k sku and as the ocing with haswell is pathetic you can basically get to 4.0ghz anyways even without the k. there are many youtube vids about it.

Listen if you care.

@Vitalius

Or maybe i can get i5-3570K with ASRock Z77 Extreme4 and then i can overclock it to 4.6MHz. What do you think?

That sounds good. It's exactly what I have. It would be better than a 4670k. The 4XXXk's aren't better in regards to gaming at least. Not sure on Video editing, but I can't see it being all that much better (worth the price tag).

† Christian Member †

That sounds good. It's exactly what I have. It would be better than a 4670k. The 4XXXk's aren't better in regards to gaming at least. Not sure on Video editing, but I can't see it being all that much better (worth the price tag).

It will be cheaper by 20€. But this topic will be open till Christmas I think ,so things can change.

Very good parts chosen, well tought out aswell. 
Few things, first tho. 

- An AIO watercooler is only more silent if you buy aftermarket fans, the standard fans on those things are useally still loud. 
- You can go with cheaper ram, I mean the pro series look awesome, but if you are on a budget. RAM is RAM. 

- If you go with a 770 I would recommend to lower the PSU to 550. Because by the time you need to SLI the 770, you are better off selling it and buying the new 800/900 series. Or R10/11 whatever AMD has by then. 

I highly doub't the 770 will drop that much in price to be able to fit it into your budget, so plan later. 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

Plan later. 2-3 days at most before you purchase. Christmas is a while from now because parts and prices change frequently.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Very good parts chosen, well tought out aswell. 

Few things, first tho. 

- An AIO watercooler is only more silent if you buy aftermarket fans, the standard fans on those things are useally still loud. 

- You can go with cheaper ram, I mean the pro series look awesome, but if you are on a budget. RAM is RAM. 

- If you go with a 770 I would recommend to lower the PSU to 550. Because by the time you need to SLI the 770, you are better off selling it and buying the new 800/900 series. Or R10/11 whatever AMD has by then. 

I highly doub't the 770 will drop that much in price to be able to fit it into your budget, so plan later. 

I have pair of Corsair Quiet SP Series ,so fans on radiator won't be problem i think.

Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866MHz cost same as Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x4GB 1866MHz.

If I go with 770 i wont get the best performance with multi-monitors as I can get with 760SLI. (Sorry I forgot to say that i have 2 monitors)

I have pair of Corsair Quiet SP Series ,so fans on radiator won't be problem i think.

Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866MHz cost same as Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x4GB 1866MHz.

If I go with 770 i wont get the best performance with multi-monitors as I can get with 760SLI. (Sorry I forgot to say that i have 2 monitors)

You don't want to game on 2 monitors. Then the center off the vision is litterly at the edge off the screen. It's either 1 or 3 screens for gaming. But oke, get the 760 then with a good PSU. 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

You don't want to game on 2 monitors. Then the center off the vision is litterly at the edge off the screen. It's either 1 or 3 screens for gaming. But oke, get the 760 then with a good PSU. 

I know 1 is for gaming and second for office.

I know 1 is for gaming and second for office.

Then the it's pretty simple, 760 < 770 < 760SLI. I mean, the frames won't drop if you aren't useing more then 1 monitor. I got 2 monitors and if I connect a 3rd monitor, it won't drop the frames on the 1 monitor I am using for gaming. 

if you plan on doing video editing you might want to think about a AMD gpu they do very well for video rendering check anandtech post for proof http://www.anandtech.com/show/7400/the-radeon-r9-280x-review-feat-asus-xfx/19

I know that AMD is better for video editing and rendering ,but when i will go Crossfire i will have more issues than with SLI and 280X is more over my budget than 760. I think 760 will be enough for amateur video editing  ,but I will think about it.

...but when i will go Crossfire i will have more issues than with SLI...

Why?

Unless you are playing on something higher than 1600p, I don't see why you would have an issue with Crossfire that you wouldn't with SLI.

† Christian Member †

Why?

Unless you are playing on something higher than 1600p, I don't see why you would have an issue with Crossfire that you wouldn't with SLI.

i agree both are very stable only thing i see other than the shared downsides of both is that AMD is still working on their crossfire eyefinity micro stutter driver i think so that would be something to think about for a eyefinity gaming setup. I would like to know what crossfire problems he is concerned about.

nice try kids now get back in the van...........