Asus Strix 1080 underperforming

PC specs: Core i7 6700k 

Asus maximus viii ranger

intel 600p 240gb ssd

16gb hyper x ddr4

cooler master v650

corsair h100iv2

Asus strix gtx1080

My newly put together pc has a slight problem. The gpu is not performing well. I do not know what the cause is. I've reinstalled the driver multiple times and the prob still persist. Here are some scores:

Rainbow six Vegas 2: 45-50fps

Goat Simulator:20-25fps

Unreal Tournament 3:25-35fps

Assassins Creed Rogue:45-50fps

Cinebench  R15 OpenGLtest:27fps

All these games are run at high settings no aa no motion blur at 2560x1080(ultrawide)

Some say its the cpu bottle necking but its an i7 6700k overclocked to 4.7ghz

It cant be thermal throttling because its only maxing out at 50 c

Could it be because of asus's 0db gaming mode. Does it limit gpu performance?

I'm pretty sure this card is supposed to be able to push highest end titles today at 4k over 60fps so these scores definately mean that sth is wrong.

It is also not running on IGPU because when I disabled the Gpu in device manager, the results were worst.

Edited by joshua_lotion
Left out a benchmark score

you could try removing the driver then letting windows install it. I had to do this when msi and even ccc wouldn't apply any settings I changed.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

The 0db mode is just that the fans don't kick in until the GPU is at a certain temperature, You can turn it off easily if you want to test the differences. I have the STRIX GTX 1080 OC and it hasn't caused any performance issues. You should have the iGPU disabled in your BIOS. Have you installed every driver for your comp, including updating the BIOS?

4 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

Try it in other computer and see is the gpu problem or your pc.

I'm going to try Vorticalbox's suggestion before swapping it out.

CHECK THE PSU. I think it don't have enough juice

Just now, lawmen2002 said:

It's a 650watt.  I haveone 6pin and one 8pin connected to it. Not sure if the power supply is faulty however because it is always running at maxed fan speed. Even when idling.

1 minute ago, lawmen2002 said:

there's no power negotiation with the psu.

it either has enough power, it shuts off to keep itself from dying, or it catches fire.

1 minute ago, lawmen2002 said:

If it didn't have enough juice then the PC just wouldn't power on or would shut down under heavy load, it wouldn't underperform.

Plus, the PSU is a 650W unit, more then enough juice.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

1 minute ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

If it didn't have enough juice then the PC just wouldn't power on or would shut down under heavy load, it wouldn't underperform.

Plus, the PSU is a 650W unit, more then enough juice.

Thank you for clearing that out but my power supply is always running at maxed fan speed. Is that regular for the first few days? Even whilst idling. I searched online and some people recommend to leave it on overnight and it will adjust. This model(V650) has no software monitoring and control

4 minutes ago, joshua_lotion said:

Thank you for clearing that out but my power supply is always running at maxed fan speed. Is that regular for the first few days? Even whilst idling. I searched online and some people recommend to leave it on overnight and it will adjust. This model(V650) has no software monitoring and control

does the V series advertise fan control? some (especially cheaper) units dont control their fans.

run gpuz and post a screenshot of it under load

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

does the V series advertise fan control? some (especially cheaper) units dont control their fans.

no but the box advertises a fan curve of around 600rpm idle 

4 minutes ago, DrM said:

run gpuz and post a screenshot of it under load

What will that tell me? Also what kind of load?

Just now, joshua_lotion said:

What will that tell me? Also what kind of load?

any load. so stress test or game. it lists your core and mem freqs, gpu load, temp, fan speed, power limit, etc. it just helps us troubleshoot. just press the little camera in the corner and save the file

Spoiler

ere.gif

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

2 minutes ago, DrM said:

any load. so stress test or game. it lists your core and mem freqs, gpu load, temp, fan speed, power limit, etc. it just helps us troubleshoot. just press the little camera in the corner and save the file

Reveal hidden contents

ere.gif

I've already done a stress test( asus realbench) 

During the gpu intensive part of it the gpu usage is pegged at 100% reaching a max temp of around 50+c

During gaming however, the usage is very low and the fps i get is just not on par with the reviews.

In other thread someone found out that his system RAM actually run on Single Channel mode thus lower gaming performance, try check yours.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 minute ago, xAcid9 said:

In other thread someone found out that his system RAM actually run on Single Channel mode thus lower gaming performance, try check yours.

My system is running dual channel config.( 2x8gb ddr4 mem)

Also even if that was the problem, system ram has little to do with egpu performance unless its igpu.

if im not mistaken

Try looking at other benchmarks on YouTube. And get MSI afterburner and enable on screen display when playing intense games. Then we can see what's happening in that pc of yours. 

System

• CPU
    I7 6700K Overclocked to 4.6 GHz at 1.33v
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z270 PRIME - A
  • RAM
    GSKILL RIPJAWS V DDR4 16GB 3000MHZ
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G overclocked to 2063 MHZ and 8900 MHZ memory clock
  • Case
    NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage
    WD 1TB BLUE AND SAMSUNG EVO 250GB SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA 650W GQ
  • Display(s)
    LG 25UM58-P ULTRAWIDE and LG 29UM58-P 29 ULTRAWIDE
  • Cooling
    CORSAIR H100I GTX
  • Keyboard
    CORSAIR K70
  • Mouse
    LOGITECH G502 PROTEUS SPECTRUM
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 PRO
  •  
  •  

Thanks to everyone who has helped. Fixed the problem by uninstalling the driver from device manager and rebooting to let windows find the right driver. Now getting 150+fps in crysis 2 ultra setting 2560x1080

• 2 weeks later...

i think u overclock the cpu too much but you dont oc the gpu so the gpu bottle neck but not the cpu. 

option 1:de-overclock the cpu

option 2:overclock the 1080.