AMD and pins?

Flowey

Not familiar at all with AMD's whole CPU branch, but have they moved away from god damn pins yet? Like, AM3+ socket is pinless,hopefully?...

4 minutes ago, Flowey said:

Not familiar at all with AMD's whole CPU branch, but have they moved away from god damn pins yet? Like, AM3+ socket is pinless,hopefully?...

no, it's pins alright

AMD-AM4-Socket-840x662.jpg

1 minute ago, Flowey said:

Nope, still got the "you will fuck yourself over if you drop your cpu from an inch"

I don't see why they don't move to balls or something. It would easily shorten the manufacturing process and be very hard to damage the cpu/socket.

i like trains 🙂

3 minutes ago, Flowey said:

Currently, AMD uses pins. And it's likely that Zen will use them too, unless I've missed something...

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

AMD isn't going to switch from PGA

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

Currently, AMD uses pins. And it's likely that Zen will use them too, unless I've missed something...

WTF and they want to get back into the market. Their GPU branch is top notch IMO, Just a tad bit more of marketing budget and we might actually see AMD coming back into the game. But the CPU branch, OH GOD, fuking retards running around  without heads and shit. FKING PINS! SKULLFUCK YOU SIDEWAYS!

PIN? Like Personal Identification Number? No. They don't use that. At least as far as my knowledge goes. I don't think I have to enter a PIN to use an AMD cpu

they are still using them. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

PIN? Like Personal Identification Number? No. They don't use that. At least as far as my knowledge goes. I don't think I have to enter a PIN to use an AMD cpu

Metal pins dude, contact with the socket for current to flow right? Why ain't flat contact point a thing for AMD yet, ain't that hard to implement.

WTF and they want to get back into the market. Their GPU branch is top notch IMO, Just a tad bit more of marketing budget and we might actually see AMD coming back into the game. But the CPU branch, OH GOD, fuking retards running around  without heads and shit. FKING PINS! SKULLFUCK YOU SIDEWAYS!

intel still has pins just on the mobo. it is fine it is the same as intel you crazy kid 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Metal pins dude, contact with the socket for current to flow right? Why ain't flat contact point a thing for AMD yet, ain't that hard to implement.

hey you are 3 posts away from 1000

Just now, GDRRiley said:

intel still has pins just on the mobo. it is fine it is the same as intel you crazy kid 

Pretty sure my CPU doesn't have any pins, just flat contact points or wth they call them. That might be a skylake thing though

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

Actually, it's not. There quite a few advantages to having pins on the mobo VS the CPU.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1 minute ago, dexxterlab97 said:

hey you are 3 posts away from 1000

Hey fellow canadian, imma delete this account since I've just reached 999 posts

Pretty sure my CPU doesn't have any pins, just flat contact points or wth they call them. That might be a skylake thing though

it has pins on the mobo, look.  Image result for intel mobo socket

Just now, GDRRiley said:

it has bins on the mobo, look.  Image result for intel mobo socket

you mean pins? because this is bins

Image result for bin

For desktop processors that would fit in a socket like AM4 there's almost no benefits to a LGA socket. See the whole discussion and my points in this thread:

etc etc

Just now, GDRRiley said:

it has bins on the mobo, look.  Image result for intel mobo socket

Ok, my definition of pins was missing, basically I mean those fking huge ass metal pointy thingy that AMD CPU seems to be so fond of. The things that break so easily. Those are clearly not 1/8 of an inch gold pins for sure m8.

1 minute ago, dexxterlab97 said:

you mean pins? because this is bins

typo when you are not paying attention 

2 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

I'd much rather replace a CPU than an entire motherboard, and the rate of a defective CPU due to bent pins is very low. Also, if you do bend pins, it's easier to fix on the CPU than the motherboard. It's just preference honestly.

Errrr, PGA vs LGA has nothing to do with market performance.

Nah I'm just raging over some shit, that's what I do when I'm drunk. Or retarded. Whichever you choose honey

EDIT : wut

Ok, my definition of pins was missing, basically I mean those fking huge ass metal pointy thingy that AMD CPU seems to be so fond of. The things that break so easily. Those are clearly not 1/8 of an inch gold pins for sure m8.

they are a little smaller and inlet also has the issue except that they break off of the mobo. 

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

typo when you are not paying attention 

he's troll watch out

I still don't quite understand how PGA vs LGA is such a polarizing topic. Really couldn't care less since both work. Price to performance and reliability once installed seem way more important since you generally want to be very and equally as careful with installs on CPU's. I mean, unless you're also drunk while installing CPU's, then you'd probably need a very robust solution

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

22 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

I still don't quite understand how PGA vs LGA is such a polarizing topic. Really couldn't care less since both work. Price to performance and reliability once installed seem way more important since you generally want to be very and equally as careful with installs on CPU's. I mean, unless you're also drunk while installing CPU's, then you'd probably need a very robust solution

Maybe I'm drunk... But then again I'm at work so that's fucked up. However I'd like to mention that my issues with pins is that clumsy people like me, which aren't necessarly drunk, might drop that CPU up major heights of like, and inch or 2, and see their dreams shatters as pins bents and breaks. That's not a problem with flat contact point, since the actual "angled pins" areon the motherboard, which as a matter of fact is much harder to drop,and even then you've got to be Bad Luck Brian to have the mobo land on the CPU socket. So, my whole rent was really more about the practicality of siad pins vs flat contact point, not about performance and shit, couldn't care less to be honest. If it performs aswell why should we bother?

EDIT : random haswell pun, go and get it

Maybe I'm drunk... But then again I'm at work so that's fucked up. However I'd like to mention that my issues with pins is that clumsy people like me, which aren't necessarly drunk, might drop that CPU up major heights of like, and inch or 2, and see their dreams shatters as pins bents and breaks. That's not a problem with flat contact point, since the actual "angled pins" areon the motherboard, which as a matter of fact is much harder to drop,and even then you've got to be Bad Luck Brian to have the mobo land on the CPU socket. So, my whole rent was really more about the practicality of siad pins vs flat contact point, not about performance and shit, couldn't care less to be honest.If it performs aswell why should we bother?

I may or may not, at some point in my life, have been at a workplace shortly after consuming adult beverages...

I understand your point, but I think if you manage to bend CPU pins from a 1-2 inch drop, you're already bad luck brian. This is all assuming the CPU and mobo price are around the same. If one of them costs twice as much as the other, then you'd rightfully want the more expensive one to be less likely to get damaged. AMD's AM4 CPU's having pins makes sense when paired with a board of around the same or slightly lower price. Definitely wouldn't prefer to have a more fragile $300 CPU on a $150 board, but all that is needed is to not drop it to completely avoid physical damage.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB